New iMac 24" & Mac Mini Updates

Associate
I would check out Omniweb too from http://www.omnigroup.com

It is a nice browser designed purely for OS X. Last time I had a Mac was about two years ago and alas Omniweb did feel a bit slow on Panther. Maybe they've improved rendering speeds in Tiger and Omniweb since then.

I will probably stick with Opera though as it has the two features I would miss - mouse gestures and the "fit to width" capability.

Associate
Finally took the plunge and ordered the following

Imac 20''
2.33GHz
2 Gig Mem
256meg GFx
500 Gig HD
Bluetooth KB & Mouse

Should be here sometime next week.

My PC will be finally retired to the loft, & the conversion to apple will be complete :D

Man of Honour
So have I, just ordered now but I went for the 24 incher!

2.33 GHz
2Gb Ram
250 HD
7600 (256)
Apple USB Modem (need that for faxes, how dull is that! :rolleyes: )

Already have a BT keyboard and mighty mouse whihc will be transferred across to the new beasty. I may be selling my 20" G5, 1Gb iMac to a bloke I know for about £600 or so, so winner all round.
CAN'T WAIT!!!

:D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Echo toxin said:
Is the mini safe enough to leave on continuously day after day after day? i.e. it won't overheat? :cool:
You can set them up to sleep if left alone for a specified amount of time, not only does it power down but it saves power. They wake up immediately as well. :)

Soldato
As far as I can tell, mine literally switches itself off, as when it sleeps it has no heat output at all. I love the instant wake up too, awesome.

Cheers for the advice, I'll try the macified FF then!

Soldato
The Mac equivilient is 'safe sleep', where it suspends to ram and suspends to disk at the same time.. if the power is interrupted is restores from disk rather than ram. It's not supported on every mac though.. i'm not sure if the new desktops support it or if it's restricted to the laptops. You can also force the machine to just suspend to disk, which I tend to do with the Macbook if I won't be using it again within a few hours. Suspend to RAM murders the battery life on the Intels :(

Pre-safe sleep the older laptops had battery backed up RAM to handle complete loss of power from switching batteries etc.

Back
Top Bottom