New job after being with a company for 1 month…

Associate
So I have been offered a new job after only being with a company for only one month…

What happened is about 2 months ago I applied for afew jobs, I took the new job, which was an increase of £5k per year from my old job and included afew perks such as company car, gym allowances , private health insurance, working from home..they have also sent me equipment desk, chair and are putting me onto training courses, they have already paid for one in July for me which is costing £950. Other things to mention 40 hours a week and a-fair bit of travelling across the UK.

Now the new job is working for a well known insurance company, and the new job has the option of company car or car allowance (£5.5k), I have also been told that there is a very good work/life balance and there is less travelling and the base salary is £2k more than what I currently earn. The hours are 35 hours a week aswell. There will also be some travelling in this role but I imagine not as much .

Now I’m highly tempted to accept the new job , but I do feel kinda bad having only been with my new employer for such a short period of time and the fact they have already paid for training courses.

What is everyone’s opinion on this and has anyone been in a similar situation?

If you were offered company car or car allowance what would you chose ? Is 5.5k a good amount these days to run a car for business use?

Last edited:
Caporegime
How long were you at the previous employer? Also, did you negotiate when offered both the current job? As in is your current pay the best they could offer at the time?

Likewise, is this new job offering you more because they know what you're being paid currently? Presumably, you interviewed with them 2 months ago and they didn't immediately get back to you but have now?

If you were at your previous job for a long stint then having one short stint isn't too bad though you'd be best off sticking around at the new one for like 18 moths+ if you do take it.

If you didn't negotiate before accepting the current job then perhaps they're able to counter offer too.

This whole situation is a bit of a mess that perhaps could have been avoided though by pushing for a decision, holding off accepting one offer etc.. as it's not really ideal to quit after a month, it will obvs annoy them and it's not ideal for the CV/could raise questions in a future interview etc. I mean does the potential new employer know that you've moved even? If not then why weren't they told you had an offer and pushed to get back to you sooner?

Associate
OP
How long were you at the previous employer? Also, did you negotiate when offered both the current job? As in is your current pay the best they could offer at the time?

Likewise, is this new job offering you more because they know what you're being paid currently? Presumably, you interviewed with them 2 months ago and they didn't immediately get back to you but have now?

If you were at your previous job for a long stint then having one short stint isn't too bad though you'd be best off sticking around at the new one for like 18 moths+ if you do take it.

If you didn't negotiate before accepting the current job then perhaps they're able to counter offer too.

This whole situation is a bit of a mess that perhaps could have been avoided though by pushing for a decision, holding off accepting one offer etc.. as it's not really ideal to quit after a month, it will obvs annoy them and it's not ideal for the CV/could raise questions in a future interview etc. I mean does the potential new employer know that you've moved even? If not then why weren't they told you had an offer and pushed to get back to you sooner?

I was at my previous employer for 4 years. What happened is I applied for these two jobs , I was interviewed for the job I am in Late February , and they offered me the job the week after early March so I handed my notice in giving 1 month. Now I joined the new company and the other job which I applied for came back to me and and interview me in April , so I did that and then they offered me a job.

I took the current job I’m in because I assumed I hadn’t been successful in my application, as it took over a month for them to get back to me.

My current employer wouldn’t negotiate better pay, I left for a 5k pay rise , company car and a better bonus structure (20% of salary vs 10%).

The other company don’t know I’m in a new role , they still think I’m in the old job.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know it's really early but what's the feeling you are getting about the place in your new job?

Ultimately you need to choose whatever is best for you, don't worry about being loyal at this stage.

For me personally, work life balance is very important, 35 hours a week Vs 40 hours a week is the equivalent of nearly 2 and a half days of annual leave a month. If they have also promoted their work life balance that is a positive for me, and good one to keep at the front of your conversations if you have regular reviews etc.

It's also more money.

Is the (potential) new job working from home?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know it's really early but what's the feeling you are getting about the place in your new job?

Ultimately you need to choose whatever is best for you, don't worry about being loyal at this stage.

For me personally, work life balance is very important, 35 hours a week Vs 40 hours a week is the equivalent of nearly 2 and a half days of annual leave a month. If they have also promoted their work life balance that is a positive for me, and good one to keep at the front of your conversations if you have regular reviews etc.

It's also more money.

Is the (potential) new job working from home?

Yea it’s not kinda what I was expecting , the company on the whole don’t support working from home (read it on a policy) but because I am field based I am.

There’s also afew things about the current job I’m in which I don’t like ;
I’m having to put all my tasks into my diary even admin tasks, my manager has said this is to prevent me from getting called into team meetings, I don’t know whether to believe this or not, I get the feeling it might be a way of seeing what I’m up to.

I also had a teams call with the guy that runs the company cars this week and he let out that the company cars have trackers in them which I wasn’t aware of, so I get the feeling my every move is being watched.

The potential new job is also working from home.

Soldato
Yea it’s not kinda what I was expecting , the company on the whole don’t support working from home (read it on a policy) but because I am field based I am.

There’s also afew things about the current job I’m in which I don’t like ;
I’m having to put all my tasks into my diary even admin tasks, my manager has said this is to prevent me from getting called into team meetings, I don’t know whether to believe this or not, I get the feeling it might be a way of seeing what I’m up to.

I also had a teams call with the guy that runs the company cars this week and he let out that the company cars have trackers in them which I wasn’t aware of, so I get the feeling my every move is being watched.

The potential new job is also working from home.

If it were me I'd move.

Caporegime
I was at my previous employer for 4 years.

[...]

My current employer wouldn’t negotiate better pay, I left for a 5k pay rise , company car and a better bonus structure (20% of salary vs 10%).

The other company don’t know I’m in a new role , they still think I’m in the old job.

The last bit re: not telling the possible new employer is slightly awkward but probably not a huge deal, if the current place refused to negotiate pay and you're now leaving after a month for a better deal then that's kinda on them too tbh... it's not ideal but you said you were at the previous employer for 4 years ergo I think if you do jump ship and stay at this new one for say 18 months at least then you're likely fine as far as your CV is concerned.

Ultimately you've gotta do what's best for you and if someone is offering a better job (and it's just circumstances/them not getting back to you initially - you'd already applied) then you don't need to be a hero for some random company and manager that you've only recently started working for and that would likely quite rapidly cut you loose if needed for the sake of their business.

Just make sure it's definitely the job you want and if so I'd say go for it. :)

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Jump, loyalty is fad these days.

To add.

It's also employees market too many companies do not look after employees they count on your loyalty to keep the wage bill down based on nothing in return. Apart from the margins are slim here is your 2% pay rise while the directors take huge share options or a fat dividend.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One other thing to mention is once I pass probation in my current job I have a 3 month notice period which I think is far to long, Iv only ever worked at places which have 1 month notice.

Caporegime
One other thing to mention is once I pass probation in my current job I have a 3 month notice period which I think is far to long, Iv only ever worked at places which have 1 month notice.
3 months is very common in more senior roles, it can be 6 months +. In the first year I'm not sure it means much anyway; I believe the first 12 months is a de facto probation anyway in that they can bin you off with very little effort.

Associate
OP
3 months is very common in more senior roles, it can be 6 months +. In the first year I'm not sure it means much anyway; I believe the first 12 months is a de facto probation anyway in that they can bin you off with very little effort.

I wouldn’t say my job is senior, I’m not in management.

Soldato
I don’t think it would look bad on the CV. A one off is fine. If it’s serial then, well, a rolling stone gathers no moss.

If your company you went for an interview with knows you’ve just moved and still entertained you and then offered, then if you’re not happy, quit.

Probation works both ways. Unless your in an industry where jobs are hard to find and money is tight…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom