New job after being with a company for 1 month…

Man of Honour
If it wasn't for the long notice period I'd be tempted to move and just not bother mentioning the job on the CV to avoid setting alarm bells ringing. i.e. you'd have a situation where you left job A in March and started job C in May, you just don't mention job B in the middle unless you are required to disclose prior employment as part of a background check or whatever. It can then give the impression it was just a short break between jobs, not everyone will query such a short gap.
I say tempted because I'm not sure I would actually do that, it's the type of situation where 80% of the time nobody asks about it and it's fine, but the 20% of the time they do ask it doesn't look great if you've excluded it.

FWIW I had a similar situation in the past where I started a job on a Monday and then on Wednesday I got invited to an interview at somewhere I would have preferred to work. I declined because I'd literally just started a job that week and it was my first job after uni. In hindsight I regret it, passed up the chance of a potentially less stressful higher paying job with more transferrable skills slightly closer to home, but as I say that's hindsight, I was too new in the job to really understand what it would be like.

Caporegime
If it wasn't for the long notice period I'd be tempted to move and just not bother mentioning the job on the CV to avoid setting alarm bells ringing. i.e. you'd have a situation where you left job A in March and started job C in May, you just don't mention job B in the middle unless you are required to disclose prior employment as part of a background check or whatever.

He doesn't have a long notice period (yet), that's post-probation. I doubt anyone would require 3 months' notice if you'd only been employed for 1 month.

Background checks can deffo be funny about that sort of thing but yeah can probs be left off the CV otherwise.

Soldato
He doesn't have a long notice period (yet), that's post-probation. I doubt anyone would require 3 months' notice if you'd only been employed for 1 month.

Background checks can deffo be funny about that sort of thing but yeah can probs be left off the CV otherwise.

Not to mention that notice periods are a bit moot when you're in probation. Some companies probation periods can be 6-12 months, at which point during that period you could be instantly dismissed.

Regarding the one month worked, it would depend on what information is being asked. If it is for performing any background checks etc, then yes it's better to mention it. But for CVs it's not likely to end up on there as it's hardly representing much time of your career. And if ever asked a genuine reason of you just didn't feel like you fit in would be good enough. Not sure I'd say I only jumped because next company were offering more money though :cry:

Soldato
There's no value in loyalty. Just take the better job and don't worry about it. The company won't care that you've left, they'll just replace you and carry on with their lives.

Exactly, I learnt that lesson over the past few years.

A company will easily drop you without a care in the world. Look at the big tech lay-offs happening right now.

Last edited:
Associate
the probation period works both ways, take advantage of it and jump ship. We have had this happen in our place a few times (one of them reported into me), I didn't take it personally and got over it quickly.

On a side note.. bare in mind that field engineer roles sound good... but you have to take in consideration when you are driving hours every day, they are hours that you are not learning the actual job you are doing or getting experience for your next move, so it will just be a glorified driving job. This is the case of a lot of IT field roles i find. Make sure the driving doesnt take up most of your day.

hope this helps

Man of Honour
Not every job has a probation period. I once joined a company just assuming that I had one as it hadn't come up in discussions, I spoke with my manager a few months in to confirm when it would be up and he just told me they didn't do probation periods as didn't feel it added much value and if either side wanted to end the employment in the first 2years it would happen anyway. This was a deliberate policy decision by that company (FTSE100 so not complete amateurs) rather than just an oversight.

Whilst it's a bit awkward I think you can explain not having a job on the CV if it was very short and you decided to leave (not fired etc), by simply saying that your stint there was so short that you don't feel there was much tangible, credible experience gained that you'd feel justified in putting down, when you consider some of that time was taken up with onboarding, training etc. i.e. you wanted to keep the CV focussed on relevant experience and achievements.

Last edited:
Caporegime
the probation period works both ways

That's a good point, ditto to interviews. Obvs in both cases things are slanted towards the employer but it's worth remembering that you're interviewing them and then you're trying the job too... jumping around too frequently is bad but if they don't think it's going to work out in the probation period or indeed you think it isn't going to work out then, either way, you typically have only a short notice period and can just jump ship.

Associate
OP
That's a good point, ditto to interviews. Obvs in both cases things are slanted towards the employer but it's worth remembering that you're interviewing them and then you're trying the job too... jumping around too frequently is bad but if they don't think it's going to work out in the probation period or indeed you think it isn't going to work out then, either way, you typically have only a short notice period and can just jump ship.

I have just looked at my contract and it says they can give me 1 weeks notice during my probation period however it says I have to give them 1 months notice to them during my notice period if I chose to leave within my probation period

Can they do this?, usually it’s the same notice period both ways ?

Caporegime
I have just looked at my contract and it says they can give me 1 weeks notice during my probation period however it says I have to give them 1 months notice to them during my notice period if I chose to leave within my probation period

Can they do this?, usually it’s the same notice period both ways ?

I don't see why not, AFAIK the default if it isn't specified depends on how you're paid (AFAIK) weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc.

Associate
OP
By putting it in the contract I guess.

Ok thanks, if my new company want me to start the 18th July I need to hand my notice in on the 18th June then, so I am not without pay. But what if they say just work a week? I’ll be left without a job for a 3 week period . Can they do this?

Caporegime
Ok thanks, if my new company want me to start the 18th July I need to hand my notice in on the 18th June then, so I am not without pay. But what if they say just work a week? I’ll be left without a job for a 3 week period . Can they do this?

I think they can yes, only because you're in your probation period.

Ostensibly even if the relevant notice periods are lopsided if you hand in your notice then you'd both need to agree in order to shorten it however with the probation period they can just let you go AFAIK.

Associate
I worked in the Co-op for one 6 hour shift when I was 18 before quitting. Wasn't for me and I hated it. This was about 20 years ago lol. Quickly found a job that I ended up staying in for about 14 years.

Soldato
Certainly seems like an unfair balance - although whether its legal and enforceable needs a lawyer to chime in.

I can't seem them doing anything about it if you give them only a weeks notice - apart from not paying you for the extra 3 weeks, which is reasonable imo. Dragging you to court would be silly expensive. Do they really want someone who has already mentally left the organisation hanging around when they don't want to be there.

Man of Honour
Which one is going to help you progress more and create more of an opportunity for you to develop? Let's face it unless you're hourly paid 35-40hrs makes little difference, most people work longer than their contracted hours anyway - but perhaps that's just at more senior levels.

Personally I like the travel and being away from the house (despite having hobbies and kids) - but that's because I loathe working from home all the time.

However I'd personally choose a car allowance over a company car unless I could get a decent car or one that is in-line with my enjoyment.

I think for 2k extra it's not worth it - you've only been there a month so it's hard to really get a feel for work/life balance, and it seems they're investing in you, such as courses and training etc...

Personally, I'd be careful about moving too soon as it may reflect badly, BUT at the same time, if it makes more sense for YOU, you have got to do what you feel is best for you. From what you've described there's nothing amazing about the new job unless it's something you're really interested in. I work in fields, places that I care about - I don't care about work hours if I enjoy my work - that said I'm board-level and work is always on my mind.

Be selfish, think about your development and growth - however just because of 35vs40hrs is not really compelling enough for ME... but it might be amazing for you.

I’d be keen to jump based on the micro management going on.
That said I think this is a strong case.

Nothing wrong with saying “sorry the job isn’t for me. Handing in my notice. All the best “

This is true, and the fact you're in your probation should make it easier.

Just be careful about burning bridges.

It sounds like your mind / heart wants the other job - and you want us to help confirm that feeling - but only you can make that decision.

Associate
OP
Just to update the thread.

I handed my notice in and explained to my line manager that the job just wasn't for me, the job was SHEQ Advisor for a Petroleum Company and they owned circa 90 petrol stations across the UK and I was responsible for them. This meant travelling to them and dealing with the near misses which were quite a lot about 100 a month, which were mainly due to trip hazards on the forecourts, in essence there was a lot of admin chasing up what had been done to resolve these issues and closing down the near miss on the system and very repetitive. I left the company on good terms and dropped all the IT equipment off.

I am now almost 4 weeks into my new role and I am enjoying it, providing advice to customers on Health and Safety within the workplace. I manage my own dairy and work from home 4 days a week.

My base salary is also £4k more than what I was earning before and I have a company car. (I chose this instead of the £400 monthly car allowance), but may change in the future.

Associate
@Bounce Seems to have worked out well for you buddy!

Although I wold probably look to give up the company car for a non BIK tax option in the future, dont know what you've got or the damage it does to you, but it absolutely crippled me in my previous job where I had a company car.

Back
Top Bottom