New machine Win 10 install with Win 7 Key?

Associate
I have two boxed retail Windows 7 Home discs that I had used a while ago. One of was retired and the other I used to upgrade my current (but dead) PC to Windows 10.

I'm replacing the dead PC and wondered whether I can download Windows 10 and use the other Win 7 Key to activate it?

Also, can I do this all on a Mac as I don't have a working Windows machine?
Cheers

Soldato
I've recently (past couple of months) installed Windows 10 onto some old HP desktops.

The Windows 7 Pro OEM licence key from the sticker was accepted and activated without any problems.

These were clean installs using a USB stick created using the MS tool.

Associate
Cool. do you recommend running windows updates on win7 or is it more efficient to upgrade to win10 and then run windows updates?

What I did to go from an old install of Windows 7 to a clean install of Windows 10:
  • I downloaded the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" from Microsoft.
  • I initially used the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to get genuine Windows 10 locked to the hardware hash of the computer.
  • The computer's activation status said "Windows is activated with a digital licence".
  • I then used the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" again, but on another computer, selected the option for another PC, downloaded the ISO file and burned the Windows 10 installation files to a DVD disc.
  • I then used the new Windows 10 DVD to completely wipe, re-partition and reformat the hard-drive and on installation selected the "I do not have a key" option.
  • When presented with a list of Windows 10 versions, I selected the same one that was previously activated (Windows 10 Pro x64).
  • After Windows 10 was finally installed, it went on the internet, spoke to Microsoft and fully activated itself all automatically.
  • One clean install of Windows 10 with a genuine Windows 10 activation.
(I am led to believe that you can use the Windows 7 key with the Windows 10 DVD and that would mean you wouldn't have to upgrade first, but I have not tried it so I cannot confirm).

Associate
Most of the steps above were completely unnecessary.

Either upgrade or do a clean install. Doing both makes no sense.

I was advised to do it that way to achieve two things - firstly, do the free upgrade to get Windows 10 genuine activated on the PC, followed by the clean install which would then auto-activate.

I am under the impression that the upgrade route is necessary to activate the Windows 10 licence but going directly to a clean install of Windows 10 may not always activate.

Are you able to provide additional information?

Last edited:
Soldato
IIRC the last three I did went like this:-
  1. Create an installation USB using the Media Creation Tool.
  2. Backup existing installation to external HDD using Macrium Reflect (just in case).
  3. Boot PC from the USB stick and install Windows 10 in place of Windows 7.
  4. When asked for a Windows 10 key enter the Windows 7 key instead.

Soldato
I’ve had it work with retail and oem (HP) keys. All the keys I’ve tried have worked, but that’s only four or five machines.

I installed Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with bios activation for Windows 8. That worked as well.

Associate
I’ve had it work with retail and oem (HP) keys. All the keys I’ve tried have worked, but that’s only four or five machines.

I installed Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with bios activation for Windows 8. That worked as well.

Thanks, that's good to know.
I have already upgraded my sons laptop and desktop to Windows 10 as he likes it (I don't), but with the demise of Windows 7 next January, it is my intention to upgrade my remaining Windows 7 PC's to Windows 10 before the end of the year.

Soldato
If your installing Windows 10 then I would recommend a fresh install, don't forget to backup anything you would like to keep before you wipe the machine.

I don't want to do a clean install. I personally would if it was my machine but I cba reinstalling apps and tracking down installation media/passwords and restoring browser favourites etc.

I was advised to do it that way to achieve two things - firstly, do the free upgrade to get Windows 10 genuine activated on the PC, followed by the clean install which would then auto-activate.

How after a clean install would it know that you did an upgrade though? Does it tie the license to the hardware somehow?

edit: oh you mean reset the PC from within windows 10 settings, rather than wipe the hdd?

Back
Top Bottom