New machine Win 10 install with Win 7 Key?

Associate
How after a clean install would it know that you did an upgrade though? Does it tie the license to the hardware somehow?
edit: oh you mean reset the PC from within windows 10 settings, rather than wipe the hdd?

I meant a clean install on a fully wiped, repartitioned and reformatted hard drive.
To quote Microsoft: When installing Windows 10, the digital license associates itself with your device's hardware.

Associate
My lads pc ran Windows 7 Ultimate on a 120gb SSD.

We did the afore mentioned legitimate W7 to W10 upgrade some time back, it failed to install.

After that the genuine Windows 7 became not genuine.

I did wonder if it was due to a single 220gb ssd being the only drive and nearly fill.

Associate
My lads pc ran Windows 7 Ultimate on a 120gb SSD.
We did the afore mentioned legitimate W7 to W10 upgrade some time back, it failed to install.
After that the genuine Windows 7 became not genuine.
I did wonder if it was due to a single 220gb ssd being the only drive and nearly fill.

When you say it failed to install, do you mean it attempted to install, then halted with a problem and reverted back to Windows 7?
If that is correct, then it is quite possible that it broke your activation.
Do you have the original Windows 7 key written down?

Associate
When you say it failed to install, do you mean it attempted to install, then halted with a problem and reverted back to Windows 7?
If that is correct, then it is quite possible that it broke your activation.
Do you have the original Windows 7 key written down?

Im sure I have the original key.
Noticed that now with Windows Insider you also need a genuine W10 key.

Just need to sort time out to tackle these things, his system is an old 775 Q9550 set up that refuses to boot from usb.
So need to find a way of getting W10 on disc, my blank dvds are too small.

I plan to dig out the old key, but I thought a new key was generated for the new W10 install when we were offered the free W7 to W10 upgrade.

Did this so long ago. Now feel im better off just buying a retail copy of W10.
Bought the whole house W7 ultimate in the day, had multiple XP licences, remember the Tiger OSX family licence. Family of 5 and repeatedly buying OS licences.

Yawn. Too old n grumpy lol

Associate
Im sure I have the original key.
Noticed that now with Windows Insider you also need a genuine W10 key.

Just need to sort time out to tackle these things, his system is an old 775 Q9550 set up that refuses to boot from usb.
So need to find a way of getting W10 on disc, my blank dvds are too small.

I plan to dig out the old key, but I thought a new key was generated for the new W10 install when we were offered the free W7 to W10 upgrade.

Did this so long ago. Now feel im better off just buying a retail copy of W10.
Bought the whole house W7 ultimate in the day, had multiple XP licences, remember the Tiger OSX family licence. Family of 5 and repeatedly buying OS licences.

Yawn. Too old n grumpy lol

Use the Windows Media Creation Tool https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 to download a Windows 10 ISO (approx 3.8GB which will fit on the smallest blank DVD which has a capacity of 4.7GB).
Burn to DVD disc.
Use new Windows 10 DVD to partition/format/install Windows 10.
When Windows 10 asks for a key - use your Windows 7 key and after it starts, it will activate (no payment required).

Associate
Use the Windows Media Creation Tool https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 to download a Windows 10 ISO (approx 3.8GB which will fit on the smallest blank DVD which has a capacity of 4.7GB).
Burn to DVD disc.
Use new Windows 10 DVD to partition/format/install Windows 10.
When Windows 10 asks for a key - use your Windows 7 key and after it starts, it will activate (no payment required).

I created a bootable USB and got it to work, installed W10 Pro, but his original key which I had copied back in 2017 failed to activate.
His PC ran Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit fully activated and geniune up until I decided to do the advertised W10 update back then, I am guessing that was why I copied the Key. Though for some reason I remember something being said on the forums about a new key getting generated when anyone updated. Back then the Window Validation tool and compatibility tools stated no problems and the update should have had no issues, but I am guessing that the near full 120gb SSD left no room for some sort of update protocol regarding something or other with old files.

No idea, the old key does not work, it was two years ago I think I tried and it failed, should have done something then but left it and my lad never complained. Bigger issues currently as his W10 install did not solve the issues we were having with blue screens and looped something or other that the latest AMD driver stated it would rectify.
Looks like I have two failing MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr GPU's now, as putting in an Nvidia 1050ti solved the issue.

Now need a new GPU and new W10 licence.

I remember I decided not to use W10 as I did the W10 beta with the Insider program, but never was given a clear answer as to wether or not I would Get W10 Pro or Home, nor did I frind it intuitive. It seems slightly better than I remember but loathe to try upgrading the other three PC's after this failing. Retail instead I guess.

Associate
My daughters PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate, decided to put a fresh 240gb SSD in there install W10 Pro and see if her W7 Ultimate key activates W10 Pro.

Nothing. Not tried her old SSD with W7 to see if it's still active.

My sons PC was an OEM W7 ultimate install too, though I did try that directly with the old Microsoft update offer via their site after it passed their checks/software/compatability.

So does the Key need to digitally signed to an account or something, both these machines were old fashioned log in with multiple users, not signed in via Microsoft accounts? Thats two old OEM machines I will probably by basic Home for.

The last two machines have retail discs and licenses. But not sure it's worth changing these if there is any inconsistency with the key transfer.

Associate
I had an issue with a laptop that I tried to update to Windows 10 yesterday.
It was laptop with an OEM key on Windows 7.
The Windows 7 key on the sticker was torn so I used the OEM key from within Windows 7 on a clean install of Windows 10 and Microsoft failed to activate Windows 10 with it.
Fortunately, I had burned recovery discs and restored it back to as factory new condition and the key was the same as the one that would not allow Windows 10 to activate.
This time I used the Windows Media Creation Tool to upgrade from within Windows 7 and it worked and Windows 10 is now installed and activated.

Back
Top Bottom