New member? New build! Shinobi XL white + orange

Soldato
OP
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG a small update, wasnt really going to bother posting this, as its nothing much, but its something at least!!!!!!

I was home yesterday so thought id do a bit on my computer!

I wanted to sleeve all the USB 3 cables, that lead to the top of the case, but came across these.....

20121201174141.jpg

first thing i did was cut off the secondary usb 2plugs, as i dont need them. These were soldered to a PCB at the other end.

i didn't really want to cut the cables and then resolder, so i thought id desolder the USB ports from the PCB, ,

i ended up with this:
20121201174059.jpg

the sleeve went on alright, however even after stretching the shrinkwrap was very tight, so i got a craft knife out, and cut some of the horrible corners from the usb port.

20121201181826.jpg

1 down 5 more to go!!

20121201183236.jpg

after some time i ended up with this

20121201210258.jpg

and also this!!!

20121201210247.jpg

i know it doesn't seem like a big job at all, but this took absolutely ages i'd estimate around 4 or 5 hours, maybe longer!!!!!,

1) because i had a really crap soldering iron
2) the usb ports were just too big
3) with 2 wires going into the 1 big plug i couldnt really get the shrinkwrap go to the very end.

I'm very happy with the results now though (i did re-do some of the heatshrink after i noticed on the photos that the sleeve was too long at the bottom, and the shrink wasnt done properly)

i have also bought this....

20121220114013.jpg

ive got an idea.... can you guess what?

Soldato
OP
sorry ive not posted here guys, didnt even realise it had replies since i posted last!!!

Nickolp1974 - as people have already said, its a big LAN at the moment its in telford, its a great laugh, ive been since i19 (not every one mind) and i just go for the social side of it more than the gaming, however i did promise id take my new computer down.

Kins - the only reason i went for white/orange is due to me not seen (m)any before. nearly always black and orange, or have some other colour to stop it looking plain, im really happy how its actually panned out, next build i want to use venom green somewhere though!

V|per - Thanks buddy, if everyone liked the same thing we would be pretty boring huh! appreciate the nice words!

*Rich* - tbh, ive not really checked, the max over the last 2 days been playing quite a few games and such, but obviously not loaded it is 34c. it is however stock, so im sure that will change!!!

as for the power cables, ive missed quite a few updates ive noticed, so il stick up the PSU pictures when ive grabbed them from my phone, and as for getting all the cables back in, the sleeve doesnt quite go right up to the end (the heatshrink needs to cling to the wire) so you just do one at a time, and remember which colour it is!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
after *Rich* commented about the PSU cables, i realised id missed that whole section from the buildlog, so here are are some pictures from when i did it.

first of all, i got this.
20121019110022.jpg

who needs a warranty (as it happened me nearly, as i did mess up at one point with a dodgy bit of cable crimping!!!)

20121019110254.jpg

then i just cut all the wires i didnt want coming from the PSU, i knew if i was going to sleeve them, it adds a lot of width to the wire, so they wouldnt all fit in the casing of the PSU without some dremel work.

20121019111652.jpg

then, crimp the cables, bang the connectors back on, and put them in the empty spaces inside the PSU (this way, if i do actually need them in the future i can just make a few extensions and im all set to go!)

I also shortened the 24pin cable right down so it only just creeps up the back of the mobo.

20121019120634.jpg

Then sleeve all the cables that were left (just the 24 pin and the mobo power cables). I did want to sleeve all the cables from the PSU to the mobo BUT when i started doing this, i just couldnt get the psu to look "tidy" so i used some sata cable, and did the wires in bundles of 4. i really like the look of the chunky sleeving. On the 24 pin i had to use an extension to get the look of the cables i wanted going into my mobo header (i know i know, boo hiss at using an extension, but i just didnt want single cables from the psu, so its serving a purpose!! :p)

20121121110056.jpg

Sorry that this post is so far back from the recent stuff, but as il be doing more sleeving today when the girlfriend goes work i suppose its kind of relevant!

Soldato
OP
Oh sweet jes! If it was black and green I'd totally steal that bad boy ;)

Awesome job :D Thanks for the ideas too!

I fell in love with the Shinobi shortly after spotting it and then -had- to have one, gotta love my V|per for buying me one for Christmas, so after I get the rest of the parts I need I might share my first personal build with you all, it'll be green and black (Black windowless mini shinobi is awesome) The mesh in mine will hopefully be a toxic green when I get to building :D

Funnily enough, I asked for a sample of some toxic green sleeving when I ordered my last batch, it looks amazing! I if I remember il send you a pic of it later!

Thanks panyan, unfortunately I couldn't go all the way to the mobo with the sleeving like that due to shrink wrapping the ends, and but if I figure out a way of doing it, the next PSU il have it all like that!

Soldato
OP
first and formost

Has anyone got a good logo or name for my build?! The prize is urm.... il use the name and logo :p

This looks amazing, really well done. The attention to detail on everything really sets this build apart from others. Good job!

Thanks man, ive spent quite a few hours on it, and for me on a computer build thats unheard of, usually, i just throw it together and leave it at that!

Thanks for info regarding temps and cable management.

The 24 pin cable does look really good like that with just four main wires, makes it look really neat.

How's the rest coming on? Anymore updates?

there will be.... soon, ive booked some more time off work in march, a week before i take my machine the i-series, so il hopefully be finishing everything then!!!

Nice work :)

What was done to make your coolant more 'Orange', just add red dye? I'm about to use Mayhems Pastel Gigabyte Orange :)

well mike from mayhem sent me some yellow, orange and red dye, i just played around with it until it went how i wanted, just adding a drop in at a time, i used all 3 of the dyes. tbh, i didnt really look at how much of each i used. I have just checked the bottles and if they all had the same in at the start, it would seem i used more orange than anything!

I have now bought another bottle of pastel orange as i have an idea with a different pump/rez and would need more, it seems its the perfect colour without any dye so you should be ok!

I own the same case and I have a few fans coming in a couple of days to add to the top, would cutting the holes in the uppercase like you have be that beneficial?

If nothing is in the airflows way, then i would imagine it being better, but i dont think it would make a massive difference, i prefer it like it is now though!

Looks EPIC :D fair play to you youve got balls to mess around the psu :O

Thanks man, it hasnt been without hickups, but im relatively confident when it comes to electrics so thought id give it ago, it seems to have paid off nicely!

Wow nice job on the PSU sleeving and custom lengths! Never have I seen a white and orange build before!

thanks dude, thats the only reason i chose white and orange if im honest! at all the lans ive been ive never seen a nice white and orange build!

Now for a little update!

My CPU died on me!!!! luckily for me, i bought it from overclockers and they sorted me out very quickly and without fuss, one reason why i make sure i use them!

Im about to either make, or order (not decided yet) a custom GPU backplate, but i want a logo and maybe even a project name, which leads me back to....

Anyone got a good logo or name for my build?! The prize is urm.... il use the name and logo :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
project orange it is!!!! (ok il let you keep it for now ;) )

and no worries, if you do have any problems with your orange, give mlwood37 a message and he will sort you out, but this new batch seems perfect, the exact same colour as my mobo details

Soldato
OP
the way i got mine when it was out of stock was to grab one of the ones with noise dampening in it... cost me a few quid extra, but i saved it in other places so it made no difference to me.

Soldato
OP
That's not a bad idea apart from I take my monitors lans quite often (only 1 or 2 depending on the lan so I'd have to re apply a lot! However, I do have 2 spare 19" monitors and a 17" monitor knocking around that could be lan monitors instead leaving my bigger boys on the wall!

Certainly food for thought! Cheers!

Soldato
OP
Im FINALLY(!) off for a week, so hopefully im going to finish my build.

sfsdfg.jpg

insidei.jpg

this arrived in the post a while back, but ive been away working from home as per usual, so only just got my grubby fingers on it!!!

ive also ordered some aluminium mesh stuff to try and do some bits and bobs with, whether it will work or not is another matter.

i also will be finally finishing off all those cables, re doing the ones that have now gone dodgy because of the angle i have had to put them at (making the heatshrink come away from where i want it) but hopefully, i shall be ready for i series in 2 weeks time!!!!

Soldato
OP
cheers Tim!!

i finally finished off most of the braiding today, and fit fit the backplate to the graphics card!

dscn0346wv.jpg

davidolabido.jpg

frontkh.jpg

inside2oq.jpg

ive also done some cable management around the back of the motherboard tray, and hid 2 SSD's there. so they are now out of the way.

Ive pretty much finished this build now. Only one or two more things to do. Relatively happy with how it looks, although i do still need to do something about the amount of cables that can be seen, extremely happy with how it performs!

Cant wait to get it to the next LAN i go!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
aaah, yeah of course, the black slot is the native slot im guessing? never even thought about that! I just did it as i was doing the cooling, and it seemed a natural position, also, i was going to SLI so started with the orange slots for that...

im more than happy for some ideas also tim, once i had it built, i got lazy and just wanted to play with it, but il soon be itching to change things again!

also i will take some more pictures when ive finished with the fans at the top. i have been trying to do something with them all day, but i need to get some longer screws, hopefully i will be able to order some from somewhere!

the ssd's have been tucked between the mobo tray and the back case!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cheers guys!!

ive got an idea that i want to do, ive started it, but realised that my 31.5 mm screws just aint long enough. so now i have some new ones on order, it will hopefully bring some colour to the top of the case though, and finish the outside off.

I have been looking at it over the last couple of days, and realised its just not up to the standard that i want it.

Im actually going to take a full tool kit, and a few bits to i-series with me, so that i can rebuild there, whilst grabbing some help from other people, hopefully they can teach me how to route the cables better!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well its I48 tomorrow (im going early arrival) and i was just about to start packing my computer up when i realized the top was very white wasnt happy with it, so decided to have a few RUSHED hours trying to mod it a little to add some orange before tomorrow....

BEFORE I START, IF ANYONE IS AT I-SERIES COME AND SAY HI!!!! IM SEAT H2-J10

so i got the (fake) dremal out and cut some holes into the top of the mesh, then sprayed 3 fan guards orange ( i did one of them a while back to see what the paint was like... its awesome, its the same paint as the Focus RS or ST or what ever it is!)

20130320_122323.jpg

i was looking at how i could tidy the holes up a little, i was thinking of using that edging, but it adds too much thickness to the mesh, so it sits funny on the fans =(

20130320_150142.jpg

In the end i just settled with being extra careful with the dremal and trying not to make a mess of it

20130320_150138.jpg

thought id try out 3 different paints, 2 different whites and an orange... the whites, although one tin is around 3 quid, the other around 12 quid, seem pretty much the same, no difference to my eye, the orange is awesome (although always looks gold in a photo)

i actually might keep them like this, rather than respraying the colour that looked best, i could have it so it goes white orange white, see what it looks like!

hmmm.jpg

a little preview of what the top will look like, it wont look so wonky, and will also have fans behind obviously so, im hoping it will look good!!

Soldato
OP
well, my rushed mod looks rather good if i do say so myself, hard to remember that its a shinobi XL now! I just want to find some new screws, they just dont look good enough with the massive head.

5358_10151415114582669_1224704226_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom