New monitor time! TN vs. IPS?

Soldato
I would say for all purpose computing, IPS offers the best compromise between the following:

Contrast
Pixel Response/Motion Blur
Viewing Angles

I think I would only go with TN if you're incredibly serious about gaming - it's unlikely you'll notice any difference between the response time of a TN based display vs IPS, but you will notice the lack of colour and 'life' throughout scenes.

The issue with IPS isn't the technology, but the poor QC carried out by the manufacturer of the panel.

You forgot price, if you don't care about colour or viewing angles, say for a general office or browser, than TN is fine.

Soldato
You forgot price, if you don't care about colour or viewing angles, say for a general office or browser, than TN is fine.

Well I did consider price, however my girlfriend paid £90 for her IPS display, and there's less motion blur than on her iPad Pro 12.9 (not 120Hz). That's a really good price for a monitor full stop. But I suppose it depends heavily on coubtry

Soldato
I have the TN swift as the IPS wasn't out when I adopted it back then. It has an 8 but panel I believe Vs 6 with dithering and actually the colours are really nice.

The pixels are very quick to transition and with g-sync AND pushing 90+FPS you can get that smooth 'glass' effect when looking around.

Having said that I've never owned or spent time with an IPS monitor and my next monitor surely will be IPS.

Soldato
How are you finding it? As i am trying to decided between the XB271HU and PG279Q and thinking of going for the Acer.
Ive had the XB271HU myself and it blurs a bit to much for my liking when framerate drops below 60 with gsync enabled. Gave me some serious headaches. That said i am more sensitive to these things than most i think. Personally though the only 1440p gsync screen worth the money i feel is the Dell S2417DG as its not priced to high heavens. The rest is just to expensive i feel. Now i do miss IPS myself but personally am not interested in paying the premium.

Mobster
Soldato
I've got the Asus PG348Q and my partner has the Acer XB271HU. We love them, IPS is the only way for us, great quality, colour accuracy and fast enough for gaming. Only draw back is IPS glow and slightly greyer blacks. You cant complain though, the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

I wouldnt touch TN with a bargepole, VA I'd consider, I'm looking forward to the Asus PG358VQ and the Acer X35 when AUO get their fingers out.

Associate
OP
I'm finding this such a hard decision; the longer i wait the more likely I am to wait long term and see what IPS screens are released as the year progresses. I almost just bought 27" Dell as a "stop-gap".

Associate
VA just doesn't cut it for me. Dark to light transition just isn't fast enough. Bought a Z35 and it was awfull with really bad smearing. Also tried the LG34UC89G ultrawide and it was a very nice monitor but again the dark scenes lit up like a christmas tree when moving from side to side due to the amount of overshoot. I had to adjust the response time to slow to make it go away. I have the Swift PG278Q TN and it's far better for repsponse time and the colours are not far off IPS. Not a single problem with response time or ghosting. TN is the only way to go for max gaming and also has the added benefit of ULMB or 1ms motion blur reduction which the LG34UC89G does not have for some reason. For me IPS or VA isn't quite there yet but will be in a few years time.

Soldato
VA just doesn't cut it for me. Dark to light transition just isn't fast enough. Bought a Z35 and it was awfull with really bad smearing. Also tried the LG34UC89G ultrawide and it was a very nice monitor but again the dark scenes lit up like a christmas tree when moving from side to side due to the amount of overshoot. I had to adjust the response time to slow to make it go away. I have the Swift PG278Q TN and it's far better for repsponse time and the colours are not far off IPS. Not a single problem with response time or ghosting. TN is the only way to go for max gaming and also has the added benefit of ULMB or 1ms motion blur reduction which the LG34UC89G does not have for some reason. For me IPS or VA isn't quite there yet but will be in a few years time.

Have anything that shows up VA weakness? Got a 27" 1440P VA Samsung no problems with smearing, previous monitor was older TN Samung 5/6 ms.

Soldato
Most people who bad mouth TN have not seen the panel on the swift. Dial in modest digital vibrancy and you're not all that far off IPS IMO

Man of Honour
Most people who bad mouth TN have not seen the panel on the swift. Dial in modest digital vibrancy and you're not all that far off IPS IMO

Same with the Dell equivalent - I've had the Swift and now the Dell 2716DG sitting beside a Dell U2913WM which is one of the better regarded IPS for image quality and comes with a proper factory calibration (though mine has subsequently been calibrated even better) - You do lose some accuracy tweaking the gamma and if you use it digital vibrancy on the Swift and you don't have the viewing angles (not really a big deal for most uses) of the IPS or the deep saturation of certain colours but its far far closer than some would have you believe for a TN - superficially it looks in the same ballpark.

Associate
Given the OPs preference for FPS I'd recommend TN. This is coming from someone who hasn't owned a TN screen for over a decade (currently have 5 monitors and they're all IPS). For non-FPS (or a casual interest in it only) gaming balanced with productivity and any graphics work then the balance shifts to IPS or some VA variant if cheaper. All depends on how fussy you are and your preference, but for lots of FPS...go TN.

Associate
OP
I've still not made my decision, lads. All of the help and comments have been brilliant, so thank you; I've no idea why I'm struggling with this one. I'm edging towards a more expensive TN at the moment.

Associate
I’m in a similar boat although already have a Dell U2715H 27” 1440p IPS but I really fancy a 144hz monitor to make the most of my new rig. I do like the colours of the IPS but the input lag issue keeps coming up. That said I am looking at the ROG Swift PG278QR (TN) and PG279Q (IPS) and the reviews on TFTCentral actually show the latter as being quicker (scroll down to Average Lag Comparison chart at the bottom).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm#gaming

The horror stories of bad BLB are worrying but then I do not view much black content tbh – I certainly don’t watch any films on it (I have an OLED TV for that).

The Dell is slightly better priced but I fancy trying something different from what I already have. I am currently leaning on the PG278QR and will probably order one tomorrow. I’m thinking try it and see how it looks – if I don’t like the colours then swap it out for the IPS. But most of the reviews say its very good for a TN panel.

Associate
I have the Freesync version of the TN swift. With a properly calibrated colour profile installed and the settings on the monitor tweaked it looks pretty damn good, even next to an IPS panel on my desk.
You can't beat the response from the TN panels too. I always play shooters on the TN because the IPS suffers with some blur and just is not as crisp and snappy.
But for single player, slower stuff, an UW IPS is pretty godly.

Associate
I have the Freesync version of the TN swift. With a properly calibrated colour profile installed and the settings on the monitor tweaked it looks pretty damn good, even next to an IPS panel on my desk.
You can't beat the response from the TN panels too. I always play shooters on the TN because the IPS suffers with some blur and just is not as crisp and snappy.
But for single player, slower stuff, an UW IPS is pretty godly.

Do you run dual monitors as read that g-sync does not support it (or possibly you dont use it)?

Back
Top Bottom