New motor for Mrs

Associate
So I said to my wife early next year I’ll her a new car. We’ve had her Toyota Yaris from new (14 plate) and she wants something with 5 seats and maybe a little bigger. Either that or buy another reliable Yaris.

Here’s the line up:
- Fiat 500x
- Honda Civic
- Mazda 2
- Mini 5dr
- Nissan Juke

We like the 500x but it sure on reliability, Civic is safe bet, Mazda 2 fine but same size as Yaris, Mini is good but parts and servicing is a bit expensive, love the Juke cos of its higher ride can get a good spec for money.

We have up to £11k to spend, don’t want anything older than 2015, we have two kids (5 & 6) to ferry round with the odd extra child from school. Petrol only cos it’ll only do short journeys.

There are other cars but won’t something reliable and not to big (as we have an estate car;mine) also car might not be used for a few days so we want it to start.

Any help would be most helpful.

Thanks

Cliffhanger

Soldato
Have you looked at the i20? For that amount of money you can get something with a 3 year warranty remaining.

If you get the turbo edition from 2016 you get sat nav and DAB, cruise control, auto lights, a 1l turbo petrol and alloys with 2 years warranty remaining.

It's a practical 5 door car but not really big.

Soldato
The civic stands out there as the sensible choice. I quite like the fiat 500x and we’ve had a great experience with our 500 in terms of reliability. The main issue with the 500x is the tiny boot, so we didn’t think it suited us well.

The obvious missing car is a Ford Focus.

Soldato
So I said to my wife early next year I’ll her a new car. We’ve had her Toyota Yaris from new (14 plate) and she wants something with 5 seats and maybe a little bigger. Either that or buy another reliable Yaris.

Here’s the line up:
- Fiat 500x
- Honda Civic
- Mazda 2
- Mini 5dr
- Nissan Juke

We like the 500x but it sure on reliability, Civic is safe bet, Mazda 2 fine but same size as Yaris, Mini is good but parts and servicing is a bit expensive, love the Juke cos of its higher ride can get a good spec for money.

We have up to £11k to spend, don’t want anything older than 2015, we have two kids (5 & 6) to ferry round with the odd extra child from school. Petrol only cos it’ll only do short journeys.

There are other cars but won’t something reliable and not to big (as we have an estate car;mine) also car might not be used for a few days so we want it to start.

Any help would be most helpful.

Thanks

Cliffhanger

Second hand Nissan Leaf. My Mrs has one and does exactly the same driving as you've mentioned. We do have a driveway to charge it on though.

Soldato
The Juke is a deceivingly small car on the inside, I had a few test drives of some cars at a Nissan dealer over a year ago when I was looking at a new car, I had a go in the Juke but immediately thought wow this is really cramped on the inside and that's coming from a Z4, I would confidently say your Yaris is probably bigger on the inside.

Also tried out a Pulsar 1.5DCi (Was hoping to have a go of a 1.6t but they didn't have any) and thought wow, what a massive car on the inside for a car that looks smaller than the Juke, I was pleasantly surprised by the Pulsar, Was a nice drive, the 1.5 diesel engine was pokey enough, but I think the major selling point of it was how spacious it is on the inside for both front and rear passengers, also a lot of high spec cars 16 plate cars for around the £8-£9k mark.....What i'll also say is if your not bothered about Heated seats, avoid the leather seats and go cloth, they're sooo much more comfortable than the leather seats.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a recent Nissan Juke as a courtesy car recently. Hateful thing, and surprisingly small on the inside as Uncle Gravy says above.

Can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda Civic for a family runaround.

Associate
OP
Yeh you can’t beat the Yaris for reliability and general well built.

She does like the civic as we can get a 2016 1.4 sport, a SUV type would be better but it’s finding one for the money, age and low mileage.

So the fiat fits the box, but swapping a Toyota for a fiat.... not sure cos web reliability for fiat is poor but owners say they are good.

Another car perhaps would be Jeep Renegade or Ford Ecosport....

Caporegime
Had very similar requirements for changing the wife’s car last month. Ended up getting her. 1.2TSi DSG Skoda Yeti. 65 plate, 31000 miles, CarPlay/Android Auto, and the usual other affair spec wise. Spent slightly over £10k on it.

Just driven it to Devon for a holiday last week and it’s been great. Frugal, comfortable, quiet, and spacious without being huge.

EDIT: Oh and I’ve extended the manufacturer warranty for something like £22/month for the fully comprehensive cover.

Soldato
Honestly, for the Mrs, I'd get her a Nissan Quashqai , you can easily get the top spec Tekna model, 2015 with < 50k Miles for £11K in a range of colours.

Definitely get the Tekna model, which comes as standard with (on top of the usual stuff)
- 360 cameras
- Auto Parking
- Auto Lights
- Auto Main Beam
- Auto Wipers
- Panoramic Roof (Glass Roof, doesn't open, but lets plenty of light in)
- Electric Leather Seats
- Heated Front Seats
- Sat Nav
- Lane Departure
- Collision Avoidance
- Full LED Head Lights
- Electric Handbrake (that just works as you expect)
- Keyless Entry / Start
- 360 Object detection

Comes in diesel or petrol, good on fuel, reliable, etc.

We had the X-Trail which is identical but with a bigger boot and actually really loved the amount of kit it had, I'd highly recommend one, it might seem 'big' if you are used to a Yaris, but the 360 cameras and self parking mean you don't see many with kerbed alloys etc.

Associate

Exhaust oxygen sensor failure

The rear oxygen sensor can fail due to an electrical short on cars built between 10 April 2014 and 7 May 2016. Also, the ECU might not warn the driver of this failure, so Nissan dealers should reprogram the system to fix this and display a warning symbol.

Brake hose wear
The right rear wheel arch protector on vehicles made up to 23 September 2016 might deform and rub against the right rear brake hose, damaging it in the process and potentially causing a brake fluid leak. Affected vehicles are to have a modified liner fitted.

Indicator failure
The indicator in the door mirror might not operate when the heated rear screen is switched on. This recall applies to Qashqais made between 12 June 2017 and 28 June 2017 and requires the indicator connections to be inspected by a dealer and potentially reworked.

Incorrect VIN plate
VIN plates fitted to some Qashqais were labelled with incorrect gross combination weight (GCW) numbers. This recall affects cars with both the manual and CVT gearboxes and requires Nissan dealers to fit new VIN plates with the correct information printed on them.

Excessive oil consumption
Some owners of the 1.2 petrol have found that this engine consumes an excessive amount of oil, so check the dipstick level to make sure it isn’t low. If it is, that could indicate high oil use and potential neglect from the previous owner.

Timing chain rattling
There have been reported problems with rattling timing chains on 1.2-litre petrol models under acceleration. Pay close attention to this on your test drive. We’ve also heard some concerns with the stop/start system not working as it should.

Parking sensors
The parking sensors can stop working or sound when you’re not close to anything as a result of water ingress.

Air conditioning
The air conditioning can need regular regassing, so check that it works when you look at the car. A regas isn’t cheap, because Nissan uses a more environmentally friendly refrigerant. Compressors can also fail, in which case you’re looking at about £300 for a new one.

Reverse gear
Some four-wheel-drive models can slip out of reverse gear, so check this as part of your test drive.

Is a used Nissan Qashqai hatchback reliable?
Unfortunately not, judging by our latest reliability survey. While earlier Qashqais performed acceptably, 47% of second-generation diesel models and 46% of petrol versions had problems – a pretty disastrous showing, in other words. A high volume of electrical faults was largely to blame, but there were other problems, too, all of which means the Qashqai puts a serious dent in Nissan’s reputation for making reliable cars.

Back
Top Bottom