New Motor

It is quite addictive. 2 years ago I would never have seen myself spending £600+ on suspension upgrades. Now I can't help myself.

How are you tuning your MPS Eliot? I've got a MKII and want a bit more lazy power.....keeping an ear out for chain rattle?

For you interest here's a video of my stock MKII MPS versus an RS of some description.

I am tuning using a Cobb Accesport. A guy called Justin is writing the map via an e-tune. He's brilliant. Never take an MPS to a generic mapper, they just cannot get the same results.

I'd love to get mine on a drag strip, but there aren't any near me.

Chain rattle hasn't appeared to have reared its ugly head. Yet.

CO2 levels - where have you been the last ~5 years :p
Edit - 231 g/km - isn't that where the top threshold starts - very unlucky for this car.
Ah no it's 226 - still soo close.

Yeah the MkII had some slight improvements bringing it just under the next one down too :)

Same goes for the Mazda 6 MPS. There was a guy on here who bought one a few months ago and if you read his thread, he waited ages to get a version that was made pre march 2006 (or something similar) so the road tax wasn't in the higher bracket.

I tried and failed :p
After 23rd March 2006 = 12 month rate £485.00
Before 23rd March 2006 = 12 month rate £285.00
Same car, same engine same everything just different reg's AFAIK

My white whale was a low owner, low Tax 6mps in velocity red.
Gave up waiting and bought a high tax red.
The Red one is currently sitting on my drive as I Need to put it back to stock then I've got something new (older) to have a play with :)

Does this mean I'm going to be killing baby rabbits as I drive past?

A small group of trees will die everytime you start the engine :p

Nice motor. Has it got cruise?
I was tempted by the MPS before I bought my 2.0 Sport, but my GF has to drive it and she's only had a licence a year. I feared going from a 1.4 Fiesta to a 260BHP FWD car would only end badly!

I've driven a new shape 3 on a track and I have say I was rather underwhelmed. I just couldn't seem to drive it smooth and fast through the corners at Croft - it had chronic understeer and just didn't feel planted. I couldn't get any confidence up with it. Now it could be my poor technique but I had no such problems throwing an Astra VXR round there and that's not exactly renowned for its handling.
Yeah I was so close to picking up a Sport in red as I just couldn't find an MPS at the time, everyone told me to wait so I did and I must say I'm so glad I did.

I'm not sure yet. Need to get used to the car as is. I might do the simple intake/exhaust/remap as they react very well to that, but to be honest the power it has now will keep me happy for a while, and even though the engines are capable of big power, it's still only FWD. So surely it would just make it less and less usable. Apparently they're a handful in the wet already.

Have you joined the owners club?
If not please do: http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/

There's a lot of places advertising they will map these and have had some disastrous results.
Best way for a Map is to purchase a COBB Accessport and have a lad called justin map it or you, he's done the vast majority of cars from the owners club.
If you need any work done everyone also highly recommends Young's Motors in Ambleside.
Goto the south lakes zoo while yer there it was amazing, think I enjoyed it more than my nephew lol

I typed most of the above before seeing the newer posts :p
I've left the info above for anyone new looking at these cars :)

I am tuning using a Cobb Accesport. A guy called Justin is writing the map via an e-tune. He's brilliant. Never take an MPS to a generic mapper, they just cannot get the same results.

I'd love to get mine on a drag strip, but there aren't any near me.

Chain rattle hasn't appeared to have reared its ugly head. Yet.

I was wanting to do mine for peace of mind so decided to phone Mazda for a few part costs what a mistake LMAO

They wanted Almost £600 for the VVT alone, in excess of £120 for the chain, then all the other bits and bobs to finish the kit!
again for anyone reading thats an absolute joke, you can get the entire VVT/Timing kit from the states delivered to your door for around £300.

No wonder people think if the car needs it done then its time to scrap it. If only they read up first :(

Last edited:
again for anyone reading thats an absolute joke, you can get the entire VVT/Timing kit from the states delivered to your door for around £300.

No wonder people think if the car needs it done then its time to scrap it. If only they read up first :(

This is the way I will be doing it when it is time.

Back
Top Bottom