New NUC, HD5000, 4x USB 3.0, infrared sensor

Associate
Any word on when OCUK might be stocking the D54250WYB or D54250WYK?

I wonder if there will be a reasonable difference in price (~£20+) between the kit and just the board to make it worthwhile to go for the board only and then pay for a fanless enclosure.

Associate
No where seems to have a confirmed date for when these will be available in the UK :S

They have appeared in the US but only from 'small' retailers and none of the usual 'big' retailers are stocking them yet.

I'm sure OC will eventually stock them but at the moment Intel just doesn't seem to want to give any sort of date out for when they will be released. Best you can get out of them is "in the next two weeks" - I don't trust that much given they were expected at the end of September /sigh....

As far as the difference in pricing goes, I expect it will be the same as before. Going from the $ at the moment, its about $3500 difference...yeah some retailers (about 6) have put up the motherboard for over $4000...this whole release has been a big joke and terrible mess.

The retailers that have somehow managed to get them in the US are selling them for a premium and anywhere else in the world have unconfirmed dates for when these will come in, so far there are hardly any listings to pre-order it in the UK, personally I don't expect them on OC until Intel get themselves in check with this product. No point listing it with an unknown release date :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had a mailshot from another vendor which says they should be out this Month

"This month, Intel is giving NUC a big shot in the arm, by releasing two new NUCs based around the 4th generation Core architecture, also known as Haswell. Both models are available as motherboards or kits (motherboard plus case) and include either a Core i3 4010U processor or a Core i5 4250U chip soldered onto the motherboard. The former has two Hyper-Threaded cores running at 1.7GHz with 3MB of cache while the latter runs at 1.3GHz but can Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz depending on how hot the chip is running. Unlike the i3 version, the i5 version also has the new Intel HD 5000 on-board graphics, which is a lot faster than previous Intel GPUs.

Both of the new Haswell NUCs have similar core features, such as two SO-DIMM sockets, two mini-PCI-E slots and six USB 3 ports. The latter is a huge improvement over earlier NUCs, which only supported USB 2. Another major upgrade is the addition of a SATA 6Gb/sec port onto the motherboard. This means that for the first time that you're not limited to using mSATA SSDs, but could plug in a 2.5in or 3.5in hard disk into your NUC, case permitting. This opens up all sorts of new possibilities for the Haswell NUCs, such as recording TV streams without having to rely on an external storage device such as NAS box. "

Associate
If it's the same site that I saw them on [something]PC, then they have shifted their dates a few times in the past couple of weeks.

Associate
I spotted another UK retailer that said they were available in 1-2 days, so hopefully they will start shipping next week.

Someone over on AVS has one and apparently there are a number of issues running OpenElec on it :(

Associate
I've ordered one for delivery on Monday, it's the i5-4250 version with a 180GB Intel 525 SSD bundled with it.

Hopefully when the fanless enclosures become available for the updated motherboards I can switch to that without too much trouble from the Intel kit version of the NUC.

Associate
My order was dispatched on Thursday for the i5-4250, hopefully have it Sat or Mon :D.

Yes there are problems running OpenElec with it, hopefully they will be fixed quickly though.

Associate
They sent me the wrong NUC! Ordered the i5-4250U NUC and was sent the BOXDC53427HYE (i5-3427U).

Gutted, was really looking forward to setting this up tonight.

Last edited:
Associate
My order was dispatched on Thursday for the i5-4250, hopefully have it Sat or Mon :D.

Did you get your unit? Is it the correct model?

I think yet another retailer is messing me around, ordered when they had them showing as 7 in stock today, got asked to call them for security on the order, confirmed they had reserved one for me and it would be dispatched today for delivery tomorrow as per what I had paid for... but no dispatch email and the order information now shows next stock due at their supplier on the 29th of November, i.e Friday next week. :( :( :(

Associate
Yup, and they're going to get an earful from me in the morning after promising that it would be dispatched. I'm going to ask for an immediate refund and just wait it out till next week to see who actually gets stock in.

I have an Intel 7260AC mini PCI-e wifi card and 16GB of RAM waiting as well as a 240GB Crucial M500 mSATA drive arriving tomorrow without a home to go into!

Back
Top Bottom