• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Nvidia card: Codename "GF100"

Soldato
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...ure-unveiled-512-cores2c-up-to-6gb-gddr5.aspx

GPU specifications
This is the meat part you always want to read fist. So, here it how it goes:

•3.0 billion transistors
•40nm TSMC
•384-bit memory interface
•512 shader cores [renamed into CUDA Cores]
•32 CUDA cores per Shader Cluster
•1MB L1 cache memory [divided into 16KB Cache - Shared Memory]
•768KB L2 unified cache memory
•Up to 6GB GDDR5 memory
•Half Speed IEEE 754 Double Precision

Take with pinch of salt for the moment

Soldato
OP
Nice find, HazardO.

If it really can do half as many double precision as single precision operations then that's going to be ideal for me.

Support for up to 6Gb of GDDR5 really shows how hard they are pushing the HPC market. I doubt we will see a PCI-e card version with 6Gb though - to be honest I think the card would just need to be too damn big. It will probably be confined to rackmount-type versions.

Associate
It's all about having products that can compete at each segment of the market, so although I expect there will be the usual hardcore enthusiast product that costs £400+, there has to be a product to fit into the £200 and £300 price brackets too.

As I see it, nVidia need to have a product that is going to have the same kind of impact as the ATi RV7770 (4870/4850) when it launched last year since ATi is in a much stronger position this time round and sales of the 5870/50 are apparently quite strong, considering the recession etc.

Let's see another card like the 8800 GT/GTX please ;)

Soldato
What we want as consumers is not just this monolothic beast (as this will probably beat the 5870 by some margin IF these rumoured specs are near true)

They need to release a similiar card to the 5870 and 5850 at an aggresive price point so we are all happy and see price competition like we did with the 260, 4870 etc. Otherwise all we have is super high end cards (5870X2 vs GTX 380)

I hope Nvidia have learned their lesson and thinks of the consumer! Then we're all happy...People who want 8800GTX/9800Pro style domination years need to wake up IMO...unless you want inflated GPU costs then sure!

Soldato
OP
That chart is utter BS. Nothing fits in with the more concrete data that we have. I expect it to be proven incorrect by the end of the day.

I would completely ignore it to be honest (and maybe link to it instead, since it's rather big).

Soldato
That chart is utter BS. Nothing fits in with the more concrete data that we have. I expect it to be proven incorrect by the end of the day.

I would completely ignore it to be honest (and maybe link to it instead, since it's rather big).

Hmm I thought it quite credible, but wasn't convinced by the TDPs:

GTX380 only 225W when the GTX275 is 219W and the GTX285 183W?

Soldato
OP
I think that must be a mistake or a misprint. How can the GTX275 draw more power than the 285? :confused: No way that the GTX275 draws nearly 220W.

Also, the number of transistors for the new card doesn't match what we have from the current leaks. Apart from all this, they don't state where the information comes from.

Associate
Beginning at 1.5gb, just like when the G80 came out with a 384bit bus and 768mb VRAM. 1.5 times the standard of the generation.

Back
Top Bottom