New (old) house renovation to have distributed AV!

Soldato
OP
Just read through this, excellent work! You've got a great finish.

One question: how did you terminate network cable at each end and how many sockets/cables did you install?

We're doing a kitchen extension and I'd like to use this as a starting point for networking the house and creating a media cabinet. The theory sounds excellent, but with advancing wireless technology and wireless enabled devices I'm not sure if it's worth running dual cat6 runs to every corner of the house. I suppose the counter argument is - why not if the work is already being carried out? I'll probably post a thread to look at more exact layout closer to the time, but I'm interested to find out people's opinion as to whether it's worth it.

Since you've changed to a projector, has this caused issue wih network cable location?

I took the flooring back in the upstairs bedroom about 60cm and took one floor board up the length of the room to run power and network. I knew where all the cables were so it wasn't too much hassle to get it wired up.

Yes a lot of devices use wireless and with N technology you can get very impressive speeds, While you're doing it you might as well run it though.

I terminated the cables myself using a crimper tool its not that difficult just a bit fiddly when you're getting used to it. I have about 10 CAT sockets around the house and 3 CAT cables behind each TV location (2 for HDMI and 1 for Data)

Soldato
OP
Did you just use brush front plates and terminate the cable with a standard plug? How do the HDMI over network adapters cope with network switches?

The TV locations have brush plates, the rest of the house use CAT6 sockets.

The HDMI over CAT6 is direct runs and doesn't go via the switch they're run from source to receiver direct with no breaks in the cables (only way to do it as not to reduce the quality of the signal being sent)

You can get HDMI over IP which runs via a switch that way but its way more expensive than the solution I used.

Soldato
Excellent, that's useful to know. I'm not sure whether I'm actually likely to need HDMI over Cat6, as I think the only real use will be to have a central Sky/VM box and avoid multi-room costs, as I think by the time the wall sockets, HDMI adapters and cabling are bought, I'm almost at the point of buying another Apple TV (perhaps even second hand) for the room. Will need to discuss with the electrician the costs involved. Part of the issue that I'm having is that the whole house doesn't require a re-wire, so re-cabling will require redecoration elsewhere.

Some head scratching required I think as to where the media cupboard should go!

Soldato
Just read the thread from the start for inspiration! cracking work look fantastic.

I am just starting the same process granted mine wont have some of the fancy touches you have but I'm starting with the same canvas!

Soldato
@OP: Out of interest, why did you choose those HDMI over cat6 baluns rather than HDBaseT?

How do the HDMI over network adapters cope with network switches?

VGA over Cat5 and HDMI over Cat6 baluns have to be direct runs. If you're using HDBaseT (or good quality HDMI over Cat6 baluns with good quality cable) you can use your patch panels.

To go through switches, you need to use HDMI over IP from Just Add Power (JAP). For that you need decent speed switches, and each HDMI input is put onto a separate VLAN.

Soldato
OP
@OP: Out of interest, why did you choose those HDMI over cat6 baluns rather than HDBaseT?

VGA over Cat5 and HDMI over Cat6 baluns have to be direct runs. If you're using HDBaseT (or good quality HDMI over Cat6 baluns with good quality cable) you can use your patch panels.

To go through switches, you need to use HDMI over IP from Just Add Power (JAP). For that you need decent speed switches, and each HDMI input is put onto a separate VLAN.

HDBaseT was double the price (new) and didn't see the need as i was running direct cables and didn't need the ability to run through a panel or switch. (my normal cat6 cables round the house don't go through a panel and are direct into the switch)

I got 2 of the unit's im using 2nd hand for less than £50 each so got a real bargain vs over £300 for HDBaseT.

Works fine and if i ever need to upgrade the baulin's it'll be a simple job to do as the cable is already ran and in direct link.

Associate
great thread mate. reminds me of getting our house about 3 years ago. was in a very similar state and looks like a similar era. i ended up doing and the rewiring myself as once the house was bare it was a easy job of chasing and running the cables. Also ran loads of cat5e everywhere.

I have made my own home automation system for the lighting on a arduino and Ethernet based platform, works a treat :)

3 and a bit years on and just need to finish the hall stairs and landing, pheww what a journey lol

Back
Top Bottom