New opportunity

Soldato
You are right though family life will suffer, I won't see my family much on the late shift weeks

Is there a child-friendly pub near your son's school? Have the lunchtime meal with them a couple of times a week when you're on the late shift. Don't be afraid of taking your son out of school for such a short time.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Money isn't everything, you only have one life and work shouldn't take priority. Remember your kids only grow up once, when it comes time you'll regret it, there'll be no going back.

You can always wait and see what else pops up, I'm surprised they offered you a job that's so far away. Most companies usually have a limit and prefer someone local.

Man of Honour
Are you really going to get over 45 mpg?

If he's covering 45 miles in a diesel car over 1hr then that doesn't sound implausible to me. Must be a decent chunk of miles cruising at A-road / motorway speeds. Assuming he hasn't changed car recently he drives a Focus; according to Honest John stats, every diesel Focus made in the past 10 years averages over 45 real mpg.

As for the question in hand I would definitely go for it, sounds like lots of opportunities at this place especially given you know they already have Production Manager roles advertised at double your current salary, once you have proven yourself as shift manager their concerns about you may go away. The fact they are considering you for a different role is a good thing, as it implies they don't think you are a complete waste of space.

Soldato
All good points
I have had a quick look and taking into account increased NI, student loan, pension and car insurance charges probably £4,000 better off, then say £2,000 extra on diesel so circa £2,000 a year in my pocket so not a massive amount but a step in the right direction I think for my future prospects.

How's it working out for you now?

Back
Top Bottom