New parts, no display

Associate
Hey there folks. So I just bought some new parts for my pc to install in a new case with my old gpu and PSU. The parts I bought were the Asus Rog strix B350-F Gaming AMD DDR4 ATX motherboard, the Ryzen 2700x, and Team Group Vulcan T-force 3200mhz 16gb RAM.
The gpu is running, all LEDs on, all fans working, the gpu fans spin constantly too, not just for a short time and then, I left it on for about 15 minutes and it all stayed on.

I first tried reinstalling the RAM, then reinstalling the gpu, the heatsink, basically taking it all out and putting it back in. No luck.

I have called ocuk, and they said that the bios might need updating to support the CPU. This obviously involves another CPU that the motherboard supports to get a picture, to then update the bios, and I don't have one, as I'm coming from intel.

Someone else has said that perhaps it's default setting is to boot from onboard graphics, so when I get home from work, I'm gonna hook up my monitor to the motherboard and see if that works. I hope it does.

I'm a real noob when it comes to this, my first pc I've attempted to build myself. Was super happy when everything came on, now not so much after this!
Is there anything else it could be? I'm only taking advice from a couple of people I know, and they aren't experts.
Any help would be super appreciated!

tnx

tnx

Associate
Everything goes but nowt on screen ? This is how I read it..

A little while back I built a rig up for my sons mate, had it all hooked up and working perfectly. The lad took it home and within half hour he was on the phone to me ranting and raving saying i had broke it ????

He said no display !

After whizzing right round the lad had only gone and put his HDMI cable in the "on board" slot and not into the GPU. A two second fix.

Sometime the obvious escapes us. I do not wish to sound patronizing but have you checked your HDMI ( other ) cable is in the right slot.

Soldato
It is 100% the fact that BIOS doesn't support the 2700X CPU without being updated. If you bought the parts from OCUK then I am surprised they didn't warn you of this in an e-mail etc.

You'll need to ask AMD for a boot kit, and they will send you a loan CPU that will let you update the board to the newest BIOS.

Have a look at this link . https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Someone else has said that perhaps it's default setting is to boot from onboard graphics, so when I get home from work, I'm gonna hook up my monitor to the motherboard and see if that works. I hope it does.

I doubt this very much, since the default setting in most B350 boards is PCI-E GFX first.

Man of Honour
This is probably a incompatible bios for the cpu as the B350 boards launched with the original Ryzen and the 2700x only launched recently. The only surefire way to work out of the box was to buy a X470 board with that cpu. Now you will have to apply for a bios kit as above and wait around for it to arrive.

Associate
OP
Everything goes but nowt on screen ? This is how I read it..

A little while back I built a rig up for my sons mate, had it all hooked up and working perfectly. The lad took it home and within half hour he was on the phone to me ranting and raving saying i had broke it ????

He said no display !

After whizzing right round the lad had only gone and put his HDMI cable in the "on board" slot and not into the GPU. A two second fix.

Sometime the obvious escapes us. I do not wish to sound patronizing but have you checked your HDMI ( other ) cable is in the right slot.
Correct. All lights, fans etc turn on, just can't get a signal to my monitor. It's a DVI-D cable. Used the exact same monitor and cable before. Plugged from the back of the comouter (gpu socket in the back) to my monitor.

Soldato
Check box for a sticker saying Ryzen 2000 compatible , if none then bios.
Why we tend to state Gigabyte if it's an older board as you've got two methods of getting bios flashed .
@AMDMatt should be able to point you in right direction for getting a loan kit, most likely need proof of receipt showing you got both b350 & ryzen 2*** together :)

Associate
OP
Can anyone link me the cheapest CPU I could buy from ocuk to update my bios with? Ocuk will take almost a week if I send it back to them, and AMD will take similar, especially with it being close to the weekend. If I could order a cheap CPU, I'd have it by Saturday, and then update it myself.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Can anyone link me the cheapest CPU I could buy from ocuk to update my bios with? Ocuk will take almost a week if I send it back to them, and AMD will take similar, especially with it being close to the weekend. If I could order a cheap CPU, I'd have it by Saturday, and then update it myself.

Where abouts do you live? If you are close to me, youa re welcome to come over and use one of my spare CPU's :)

Associate
OP
West Mids, you are more than welcome if you want the drive to Wolves :D
Haha, unfortunately I can't! Is that really the cheapest that I could use to update my bios? Can't I get something for £40 or something just for onboard graphics to get a display and update my motherboard? X470 seem rather high in price!

Soldato
Haha, unfortunately I can't! Is that really the cheapest that I could use to update my bios? Can't I get something for £40 or something just for onboard graphics to get a display and update my motherboard? X470 seem rather high in price!

AMD A6-9500 (AM4 version) is only £36, you can't get it from OCUK though. :)

Associate
OP
Right, thanks. I'll ring my local pc shop tomorrow and see if he's got anything, he keeps a lot of PC's in the back so maybe he has something. If not I might purchase one of those.
Is there any way you can update the bios without a display? I'm only a noob, so undoubtedly too technical for me, but perhaps someone else I know could.

Soldato
Right, thanks. I'll ring my local pc shop tomorrow and see if he's got anything, he keeps a lot of PC's in the back so maybe he has something. If not I might purchase one of those.
Is there any way you can update the bios without a display? I'm only a noob, so undoubtedly too technical for me, but perhaps someone else I know could.

Just take your board in, pay them £10-15 or what ever they charge for a BIOS update?

Caporegime
It is 100% the fact that BIOS doesn't support the 2700X CPU without being updated. If you bought the parts from OCUK then I am surprised they didn't warn you of this in an e-mail etc.

You'll need to ask AMD for a boot kit, and they will send you a loan CPU that will let you update the board to the newest BIOS.

Have a look at this link . https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

I doubt this very much, since the default setting in most B350 boards is PCI-E GFX first.
Next steps if you need a boot kit > https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Associate
OP
After ringing round and not finding anyone with a AMD chip already in use, I just had to buy this. It's being delivered tomorrow, so hopefully it's all plain sailing after this arrived and I have my first pc build that I did up and running. Thanks a lot for all your help Journey!

Back
Top Bottom