New PC - £500

Associate
Hello,

A friend has asked me to spec a PC for £500. No need for a monitor, speakers, keyboard or mouse - although if the mobo or graphics card came with a free k/b then all the better.

The only thing he's said in terms of gaming is 'strategy games' but this would only be light gaming.

It'd need to include a copy of Windows 10 as well.

In terms of spec I was thinking 8GB RAM and an SSD if possible. They won't need masses of HDD space.

Thank you

David

Associate
OP
ExoMale - interesting, I considered DDR3 as a route to minimise prices.

I suppose either build comes down to which is the better suited CPU? I presume 400W will cut it? Would adding later a HDD cause issues with 400W?

A well known takeaway website is selling something around this mark, how does the following compare (other than terrible and built my monkeys!)?

AMD A10-8750, Quad-Core, 3.6 GHz / 4.0 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 MB cache
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R5-330 2 GB DDR3
2 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
128 GB SSD
AMD A78 FCH mobo
£529.99

Last edited:
Soldato
If your mate can afford £90 next month, he could use Win 10 without activating for 30 days no problem (download from Microsoft site, then buy a copy later for the key), and possibly get an even better base system. Not everybody wants to spend more than what they've budgeted though, I realize. Thing is what you'd get for £500 a year ago now costs £600-ish because of the poor dollar/pound exchange rate.

In any case I'd go with the newer socket 1151 platform as there's not much between the Haswell i3 and Kabylake Pentium, and would be better for any upgrades.

Associate
OP
P.s. the OcUK Shopping Cart Chrome extension doesn't seem to work anymore - is there a workaround? Don't think I'm doing anything wrong - uninstalled, reinstalled, running Chrome v56.0

Cheers

Soldato
P.s. the OcUK Shopping Cart Chrome extension doesn't seem to work anymore - is there a workaround? Don't think I'm doing anything wrong - uninstalled, reinstalled, running Chrome v56.0

Cheers

Yeah there's an integrated one now. Go to basket, and at the bottom, below Delivery Cost Calculation section, click BBCode, then just copy/paste here.

Soldato
Strategy games tend to have heavy CPU requirements as opposed to GPU. It may be better to go for a modern Core i5 with a decent IGP instead of a Celeron/i3 with a GPU in that case.

Also Windows 10 can be had for vastly cheaper than £90, especially if he'd be happy with an OEM version. I bought a couple of copies for £5 each recently - that £80+ could be very useful elsewhere in the build.

Soldato
Associate
Hang on for the 4 or 6 core RYZEN CPU's and a Win10 key can be bought from key site for about £10.

Those pentiums are great for the price and have a good upgrade path, but I wouldn't be happy with a dual core cpu for gaming now, some games don't even load up with dual core cpu, such as FarCry4 and FarCry Primal (all I can think of to be honest at the top of my head)

Soldato
No. You'd need an external one or a different case that'll take an internal drive. Windows is installed from the USB stick, so no need for a drive for that.

Back
Top Bottom