New PC Build Help

Associate
Hi

So im looking to build a new PC around the £1600 price range, including monitor. I havent had a new pc for about 15 years now so dont realy know what to get, not sure what raod to go down intel or ryzen. Mainly looking to use it for gaming and a little bit of Photoshop.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Soldato
How little is 'a little bit of Photoshop'? Because the choice of monitor becomes critical. Although you could have two monitors, one for gaming and one for Photoshop.

Soldato
Hi

So im looking to build a new PC around the £1600 price range, including monitor. I havent had a new pc for about 15 years now so dont realy know what to get, not sure what raod to go down intel or ryzen. Mainly looking to use it for gaming and a little bit of Photoshop.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I went for higher tier components that have the most discount on , that screen is 45% off and VA panel along with G-sync and high refresh rate , that 1440p would have been nicer for photo shop

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,684.61 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
Thanks for the build, liking the look if it.
The monitor is out of stock atm though. Is there much reason to try and get a 1070 or 1080 in there ?

Soldato
Soldato
As Lee has mentioned, this is a solid Ryzen build ! Not even going to compete with a Ryzen build as it's solid and makes sense!

Redone the Intel platform and went with Vega 56 , which is faster the. Gtx 1070 , and slower then 1080 , but Freesync screens are cheaper !

1440p 32" 75hz VA panel for £300!

Total: £1,634.73 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Also i5 8400 can match any Ryzen chip , just platform isn't upgradable , unless you slap in a 8700k in a few years .
When coffeelake first came out, it went unnoticed and then suddenly people realised it was the best performance to value ratio out of the line up, shot up in price and went out of stock
All 6 cores boost to 3.8Ghz in games, have one k. Testing myself against Ryzen 1600 .
Only. Few games Ryzen takes the lead , but again, has future to expand and free games .
Maybe a blend of Ryzen platform and Vega Freesync ?

Associate
OP
Oh nice. Thanks for the help, so I'm liking the sound of the ryzen then as it's more future proof then atm?
Team group a good male of ram too then as I had a friend say he has not heard and to stick with populate brands. Also is there no need for watercoold radiator with the ryzen or was that just to keep down cost.

Soldato
Oh nice. Thanks for the help, so I'm liking the sound of the ryzen then as it's more future proof then atm?
Team group a good male of ram too then as I had a friend say he has not heard and to stick with populate brands. Also is there no need for watercoold radiator with the ryzen or was that just to keep down cost.

Ryzen is more future proof in the fact AMD have said two more generation will be released on that socket . Of course there will be new boards with every generation release that has newer features, but in 5 years time should be able to drop a 2 year old 3rd gen Ryzen CPU in there, which should in theory a lot lot stronger "zen2"
The stock cooler is quite good with AMD, should be able to hit 3.7ghz just fine. AIO unit will help push 3.8/9 GHz and keep temps and sound down . Plus they do look awesome and is on sale !
Ryzen and Vega plus freesync monitor makes such a good combo for pricing...

Associate
OP
Hmmm not not sure what way to go now. They both seem to be good and have positives. What about vr possibility I would proberly end up getting a HTC one day would I'm the Intel system be a better choice then to go for if that's what I was also after.

Soldato
Hmmm not not sure what way to go now. They both seem to be good and have positives. What about vr possibility I would proberly end up getting a HTC one day would I'm the Intel system be a better choice then to go for if that's what I was also after.

I still think VR for PCs is GPU bound , the stronger the GPU the better . Not sure how Vega fares though

Soldato
Beastly, have you seen Phanteks halo RGB fan cover? Nice if you like RGB :D

Poor shot

02pwhS8.jpg

Only £20 more then your current storage (ignore shipping )solution but offers 500gb of NVMe over current 256GB, WD Black is slower then Samsung's but still double the speed of sata SSD

Total: £190.64 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Though not sure if you order, when. It would be in stock

Also, on sale and same price as the NZXT 280mm

Total: £119.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Basically silent

Should fit in the top of that case with the 3 front fans

Last edited:
Soldato
Only £20 more then your current storage (ignore shipping )solution but offers 500gb of NVMe over current 256GB, WD Black is slower then Samsung's but still double the speed of sata SSD

Total: £190.64 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Though not sure if you order, when. It would be in stock

That is the WD Blue :D The WD Black 512GB SSD and 1TB bundle is more expensive. The Samsung 850 EVO 500GB is on offer at the minute for £139.99 so it works out a coupe of quid cheaper when paired with a 1TB Seagate.

Total: £188.64 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Soldato
That is the WD Blue :D The WD Black 512GB SSD and 1TB bundle is more expensive. The Samsung 850 EVO 500GB is on offer at the minute for £139.99 so it works out a coupe of quid cheaper when paired with a 1TB Seagate.

Total: £188.64 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Khaaaaaaan! Thought it was black !
But yeah , push 500GB even if you ditch the HDD, they aren't going up in prices like SSDs!

You get a 256GB drive, slap it into the PC and windows detects it at 246GB odd or lower , then you install windows and fall update back and that's 40GB gone , you can delete older versions now to claw back space.

Back
Top Bottom