New PC required to last

Associate
I'm being steered towards 8700k with a Z270 @CyberScy so all good there, I hadn't realised that the newer chips were soon to be released and have more cores.

I'm sold on the Noctua as I personally prefer air cooled anyway, plus I'd like to keep the PC as quiet as possible, but I must say, who thought brown was a good idea! I'd perhaps need to find a rival air cooled unit, maybe BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3???

Will consider the Seasonic PSU too, though I should add that whilst I may run a stock or overclocked 8700K initially, plus the 1080 GPU, I may add a further 1080 at some point, or even swap it out for a 1080TI or TitanX, and don't fancy swapping out the power supply, even though modular!

8XXX don't work on Z270. Electrically, they could, but Intel is evil necessitating a Z370 board.
There are a lot of people on this forum who don't know their arse from their elbow and they give bad advice. It's quite infuriating.

You don't want a Be Quiet air cooler. Their mounting system is infuriating. Get a Noctua. If you want it to be pretty get a chroma cover which is either out now or coming soon not sure google it.

Associate
I've pretty much decided upon the 8700k now, with the Kraken X62 cpu cooler (preferred to air cooled), 16gb of 3600mhz Corsair vengeance ram (my preference), RM750x PSU (for if I add a second 1080 GPU in future). Possibly with the NZXT S340 Elite case (fine with Kraken in the front). I just can't decide on which Z370 mobo as there is so little opinion out on them, plus I'm not really one for all the RGB which most seem to come littered with these days. I do want highish end though with in-built graphics for my transition over from another PC, plus high quality audio.

What is it about liquid cooling you prefer?

-Same performance as a top tier air cooler (240mm radiator)
-Risk of leaks, pump failure (both require an entire new AIO LC)
-Added noise and vibration from the pump
-Ridiculous prices
-Limited case compatibility
-Shorter overall lifespan vs air cooler of about 4-6 yrs vs infinity

??

Soldato
8XXX don't work on Z270. Electrically, they could, but Intel is evil necessitating a Z370 board.
There are a lot of people on this forum who don't know their arse from their elbow and they give bad advice. It's quite infuriating.

You don't want a Be Quiet air cooler. Their mounting system is infuriating. Get a Noctua. If you want it to be pretty get a chroma cover which is either out now or coming soon not sure google it.

People that don't read the whole thread are kind of annoying too ;) You didn't see his latest spec ?

Associate
What is it about liquid cooling you prefer?

-Same performance as a top tier air cooler (240mm radiator)
-Risk of leaks, pump failure (both require an entire new AIO LC)
-Added noise and vibration from the pump
-Ridiculous prices
-Limited case compatibility
-Shorter overall lifespan vs air cooler of about 4-6 yrs vs infinity

??
I already explained the pros and cons on air v liquid cooling on a previous page, then he said that he prefers air cooling anyway. But now he's getting an AIO, I am confused.

Associate
OP

Just a typo, all my specs since have cleared this up, you just didn't read them ;)

I already explained the pros and cons on air v liquid cooling on a previous page, then he said that he prefers air cooling anyway. But now he's getting an AIO, I am confused.

Indeed, I said contradicting things on the previous page as my decision has been changing. I've always used air cooled CPU coolers and like them, but for this build, I quite fancied the change, plus with the possibility that the PC will be dragged around with me a few times, I felt the weight of a air cooler would put unnecessary strain on the mobo. Water cooling fills me with dread, but as long as I'm careful, I'm hoping it will be fine, and not too loud!!!

Associate
Just a typo, all my specs since have cleared this up, you just didn't read them ;)

Indeed, I said contradicting things on the previous page as my decision has been changing. I've always used air cooled CPU coolers and like them, but for this build, I quite fancied the change, plus with the possibility that the PC will be dragged around with me a few times, I felt the weight of a air cooler would put unnecessary strain on the mobo. Water cooling fills me with dread, but as long as I'm careful, I'm hoping it will be fine, and not too loud!!!

Are the rest of your parts now all sorted for the 8700k build?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Pretty much yes, I'm just waiting for stock of the 8700k before I commit to the motherboard also. The rest is as good as in place waiting now. I've replaced case fans with be quiet! fans as I'm familiar with the brand and really like how efficient they are; I might do similar with the H115i fans too, but will wait and see how audible they are first. I could get something of similar mm/h20 pressure at half the dbA, but wonder whether increasing the mm/h20 for a similar dbA might offer better cooling, not sure yet.

Soldato
Pretty much yes, I'm just waiting for stock of the 8700k before I commit to the motherboard also. The rest is as good as in place waiting now. I've replaced case fans with be quiet! fans as I'm familiar with the brand and really like how efficient they are; I might do similar with the H115i fans too, but will wait and see how audible they are first. I could get something of similar mm/h20 pressure at half the dbA, but wonder whether increasing the mm/h20 for a similar dbA might offer better cooling, not sure yet.

be quiet fans, love them- set them to 80% constant and done with it haha

bKzldFb.jpg

cant remember if your still looking for a case, but check out be quiets Pro 900 - in white :D

Associate
OP
hehe, I have a silent wings 3 140mm going in the top, and a 120mm going in the back. Granted they are more pressure flow than air flow, but their figures suggest they are equally as good at both. Have PWM of course so hopefully the motherboard will be able to manage through Corsair Link.

Soldato
hehe, I have a silent wings 3 140mm going in the top, and a 120mm going in the back. Granted they are more pressure flow than air flow, but their figures suggest they are equally as good at both. Have PWM of course so hopefully the motherboard will be able to manage through Corsair Link.

they do push a lot of air , specially the high speed ones- think i can take them at 70% before i can hear it when gaming- and i game with no sound or head phones on :D

which board you going for , Gigabyte I just wack them in Asus I tend to use 3rd part controller

Associate
OP
they do push a lot of air , specially the high speed ones- think i can take them at 70% before i can hear it when gaming- and i game with no sound or head phones on :D

which board you going for , Gigabyte I just wack them in Asus I tend to use 3rd part controller
Probably the Asus Maximus X Hero as I'm familiar with the Hero boards and never let me down, but I've zero experience with controlling fans, they've always been powered by the board using 2 or 3 pin, so just maximum at all times.

Am tempted by some high speed's for my H115i cpu cooler, though I'd have to throttle them back otherwise they'll push too much air through (if that is even possible!).

Soldato

Just to add I went from Aircooling > Custom Water > AIO cooler > Air Cooling

Even though I am currently using the standard Spire cooler which comes with the Ryzen 1600 it is still quieter and simpler than the H100 AIO I was using.

Also if you plan on carting the machine about abit there will be increased chance of leakage although still pretty low risk.

Associate
OP
Just to add I went from Aircooling > Custom Water > AIO cooler > Air Cooling

Even though I am currently using the standard Spire cooler which comes with the Ryzen 1600 it is still quieter and simpler than the H100 AIO I was using.

Also if you plan on carting the machine about abit there will be increased chance of leakage although still pretty low risk.

Good points and I may have returned the AIO and gone for air cooling if it wasn't for already setting up the majority of the case, which won't fit one (a few mm too short). I'll see how it goes with the H115i; just got to wait for the damn 8700k to be released (again), dates elsewhere are suggesting another week or two delay.

Back
Top Bottom