NEW PC time - no idea on specs anymore so need help

Associate
hi all, i've not built a pc for 4 years now so i'm well out of touch with whats hot and whats not!

i've mostly been playing mmorpg's but i do like my FPS shooters and recently jumped into GrayZone. My current PC seems to be struggling but i guess this could be the state of the game at present with lack of optimization.
Either way i'm looking to upgrade as i usually do every 4 years anyway.

so...what should i go for, don't really want to spend over £1500

If anyone can advise on what i can get it would be much appreciated

thanks!

so...what should i go for, don't really want to spend over £1500
Are you going to build this yourself?

Do you need any extras, mouse and keyboard, etc?

What resolution is your current monitor?

Can you tell us your specs, so we know what is a decent upgrade?

Last edited:
Judging from the OP's post history, they were specified a 5700XT and Ryzen 3600 build a few years ago.

If that's the system they're using, a 5700X3D and a new GPU and possibly PSU would be the best use of funds, most MMO's I've seen some fond of X3D cache.

aye thats the build i'm currently still on!

totally fine for the games i mostly play but with the recent helldivers and grayzone its beginning to really struggle. what do you think, ok to just upgrade the GPU and CPU or do i need a full new system?

totally fine for the games i mostly play but with the recent helldivers and grayzone its beginning to really struggle. what do you think, ok to just upgrade the GPU and CPU or do i need a full new system?

CPU and GPU would bring you up to speed easily, what PSU do you have exactly?

If you have AM4 already then the 5700X3D is a very good option, especially for MMOs as Gray2233 has mentioned.

The 7900 GRE is around twice as fast as your 5700 XT, so taken together that's around £750, depending on if you need a new PSU.

Last edited:

Might be a little light for a 7900GRE, I think you'd be alright with a 4070S however.

A PSU update is still well within budget for you if you want to go that route, there's some good offers at the moment on quality 750-850w units. It just depends on how much you want to mess around with switching components out, I would recommend seeing how the 4070S and 7900GRE perform in the games you play, you might be better off with the Nvidia card anyway.

well i never bought, decided to hold off for a bit but i'm thinking i need to get something sorted in the next month or so. Appreciate the advice above, is this all still relevant, anything new or upcoming i should be aware of?

do i go for a full rebuild or just specific upgrades?

well i never bought, decided to hold off for a bit but i'm thinking i need to get something sorted in the next month or so. Appreciate the advice above, is this all still relevant, anything new or upcoming i should be aware of?

do i go for a full rebuild or just specific upgrades?
Can you restate the following please:

The games you play or intend to play.
If you do other things with your PC.
The resolution you play games at.

Your budget for a full PC build.
Your budget for an upgrade only (list all your parts, including re-usable parts like case, storage & PSU).

How much RAM do you currently have? 16GB can be marginal for some games so would recommend 32 as a minimum for it to last a few more years (along with cpu+gpu upgrade being discussed)

Assuming your requirements are the same (and that you're still only using 16gb of RAM):

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £970.92 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

This would be a good bet, you could push to a 7900XTX or 4080S at £800 or so if you wanted.

You could also jump onto an AM5 build if you don't want to stick with AM4, the 5700X3D is the easiest/least faff upgrade path however.

Last edited:
amazing that you can get an intel i7 build done for under £1500 with a tasty amd gpu on top
My basket at OcUK:
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,493.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
only gone for the white ram because it relects the colours nicely, white air cooler is only because it is the only peerless assasin in stock, and it is RGB which is a nice bonus

basket link is HERE to make your life easy

*note* I am presuming that you will be reusing your current storage drives, if not then you will have to add an m.2 drive, or an SSD to the build

Last edited:
Last edited:

For gaming, and certainly the things the OP plays your system makes no sense. You're literally going back to the same generation of the AMD 5000 chips already available on his current platform, and then telling the OP to spend silly money to the degree it would be a downgrade vs just popping a 5700X3D into his existing rig. Furthermore, you're recommending a case and PSU combo that doesn't have a side window and talking about white themed aesthetics. Then went on to recommend the same case combo again + a totally different PSU on top for a massive waste in money.

I appreciate that you're trying to help but a lot of your posts in regard to builds are frankly nonsensical and often borderline incoherent.

Last edited:
that doesn't have a side window and talking about white themed aesthetics. Then went on to recommend the same case combo again + a totally different PSU on top for a massive waste in money.
the case has a tempered glass side window, see a review here if you don't believe me , I did not add an extra psu on top, dunno where you are getting that from? I'm basing the whole build upon the tempered glass side panelled seasonic case + psu combo, it's a winner of a combo from seasonic, as it covers all bases
I'm aware that if he is on AM4 platform then yes, he should just update his cpu/gpu, and cpu, but, did I miss the bit where he confirmed that he is still on AM4? I'm just going on the new full system in the thread title
*if* he did decide to go down the new system route, I'm just showing him how good a system he could have for under £1500, I'm not saying that you are wrong, get over yourself, it is just my full build suggestion, if needed

certainly the things the OP play
if he starts to take FPS games seriously then he will soon be looking into a high refresh rate monitor to give him the edge in PVP then the build will make a lot more sense 240 hz 180p monitors are pretty cheap, even 1440p 144 hz+ monitors are pretty cheap too, all at max settings ofc

Back
Top Bottom