New rider do's and dont's

Soldato
Morning chaps,

I've done about 400 miles on the new CBF now and feel pretty confident about generally riding around without much traffic. As I gain experience I do find an ever increasing list of questions I want answers for... Bear with me :D

Textile trousers... Inside or outside of boots?

Gloves should overlap the jacket right?

Sat at a junction/roundabout/lights. Seems smoother to stay in first but I remember being told in a car to sit in neutral... If I'm waiting for a gap I'll sit in 1st, if I'm waiting at lights for instance I will probably drop into neutral.

Do you cover your brakes at all times when moving? I'd rather have a finger or two on the lever but then I'm not holding on as well.

The biggest thing for me is to NOT get any bad habits that'll cause me trouble when I do my full A licence.

Any help appreciated guys :)

Soldato
OP
Your knees hold onto the bike not your hands.

Ah that's why my inner thighs we're aching after my first couple of rides... Much more comfortable now I've relaxed a bit.

I'd have sat in first on my test and it was never mentioned and as long as you still have full control of the bike then covering the brake will make no difference either.

Fair point. Back brake only when stopped?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of your input guys, I'll try and implement all of this on my ride back to Honda for it's first service tomorrow.

So to summarise,
Gloves over jacket.
Trousers over boots
Waiting at a junction, 1st gear, right foot on the brake.
Waiting with a longer pause eg. level crossing. Click into neutral but remain on the back brake.
Cover the brakes only in particularly hazardous situations, but this will come with experience :)

Thanks guys, stay tuned for more noob questions :D

Soldato
OP
The biggest thing to get into that I just don't do anymore and I don't see anyone doing is to do lifesavers on both sides before moving off. You're instructors will mention this every time you forget to do it and you even have to do it on your Mod 1.

I'm still doing them. Good job too as I went to turn off a main road, single carriageway with cars waiting behind me a fellow motorcyclist was overtaking me just as I went to pull across the front of him!

Soldato
OP
No great dramas today. Had a busy head what with all of the info picked up from you guys but I think I implemented it all quite well. Still covering that front brake though... Force of habit.

The wind blew my sleeves out of my gloves so I adjusted the straps around the forearm and upper arm and then tightly velcrod the cuff of my jacket OVER my glove. Made for a much less breezy ride home.

Started to filter through some standing traffic on the 52 into Nottingham but me and my vagina chickened out :/ that's gotta be about the most dangerous part of it all eh?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you know which gear you're in ie. do you specifically count as you go up/down the gears? 1st is a different sort of clunk so that's obvious and it's also obvious when I'm in top- 8krpm @60MPH. But I have found myself kind of caught out by not knowing how many clicks 1st is for example.

Soldato
OP
Assumed as much :)

When is the garage yesterday waiting for the service, I was sat opposite this monster. So much want but so little need lol :)

A lot of nice bikes in there, used bikes don't seem too expensive either IMO, the killer is the DAS :(

Soldato
OP
A litre bike isn't a wise choice until you have a year or 2 experience under your belt.

That wasn't my plan, I'll ride the 125 for a while then maybe start making a more informed decision next spring time on what sort of bike I'm after.
I've always wanted a Daytona 675 bt recently gone off the full on sportsbike style...

Soldato
OP
So v-twin or I4?

My girlfriend has a mate who rides a ZX12R, they've been out a few times to help her get the hang of it. He's offered to let me get on the back of it. I just grinned like a 12 year old with a new action man. Waiting for a dry Sunday morning to take him up on his offer.

Back
Top Bottom