New Rider on a 600 Sports Bike?

Soldato
This is pretty similar to what I'm hoping to do, the plan is to to the direct access test once I turn 21 (still over a year away), and get myself a decent (cheap) 600 to use. It will be my first road bike, but I've spent years racing motocross bikes, and while obviously they are quite different, it has taught me the a good amount of bike control, as well as getting rid of any desires to push it on the road.

I don't think a 600 will be a bad idea for a first road bike, but as said above, it really does come down to the rider's mentality. Someone who rides beyond their limits is a risk, regardless of their actual skill.

Soldato
I was 22 when i started riding, also went the DAS route and my first bike was a GSX-R600 (SRAD). No problems at all, since then I've ridden a fair few different bikes including a sports 125 (Missus had an Aprilia 125) and to be honest the 600 was easier to ride at slow speed.

All my mates did the same and no issues at all with the big bikes. Oh and I think my insurance was around £500 TPFT first year.

Soldato
600 il4's don't have much torque, and are therefore very forgiving for new riders. They also don't do 180mph lol. You have to very deliberately wind them through the gears to make quick progress. A litre bike (il4 or twin) is a totally different proposition

Soldato
I am currently riding a 125, had it a month but already looking at 600s. Like several others I wanted to get riding experience first before I jumped on a more powerful bike.

Soldato
Reading through Scorts accident thread really makes you think how vunerable you are.

It would be good if more experienced bikers could post some tips or advice on riding and how you can try and avoid incidents like that.

spp

spp

Associate
Going through DAS (which I think you do on 500/600cc bikes) and then getting a sports 600 is probably no different to getting say a bandit 600. Both will get up to high speeds on A and B roads. I had to progress slowly through the cc range due to being a teenager when when I passed on a 125, and not having much money. The only good thing to come of it was in the first month of riding I dropped my bike when taking it out of the garage as I just wasn't use to the weight. Luckily the bike was a 1980's superdream and so didn't cost much to fix. If I'd dropped an R6 I'd have been gutted, broken fairing etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I started on a CBR600, and that was back in the days way before DAS- i.e. take lessons on a 125, pass test, legally ride a Harris Magnum turbo into the sunset.

These days you will get experience of bigger bikes (33bhp+) from your DAS, so there's no big issue.

Definitely get more training that just what's required to get you past your test though. Do a power course on whatever bike you actually buy.

And remember, you keep learning- I still am, 20 years and about 25 bikes down the line.

Soldato
I'm in no hurry to change, the fuel economy is fantastic but I know I will get bored and want a larger bike but not for another year.

Soldato
Reading through Scorts accident thread really makes you think how vunerable you are.

It would be good if more experienced bikers could post some tips or advice on riding and how you can try and avoid incidents like that.

It brought back memories for me too – not all good :D But that was an accident that I really couldn’t have foreseen if I’m honest!

Up to that point I had been riding almost a year, and had started learning more about my surroundings over the last few months; I think a mate of mine hit the nail on the head - he said that as I was no longer focusing of how to ride the bike, I was now able to see more of what was going on around me. So that 10-20% of my brain’s processing power had been returned to me to be used on other things – the thing my brain chose to use it on was akin to a 6th sense…

It’s hard to put in words, but I started to notice other road users in much greater detail. I’m not talking about what colour dress she was wearing, or whether he had shaved that morning, but more like, what kinds of driver are they. It seems quite silly and basic when you think about it, but I started to notice how some drivers faltered; little key things like shedding a tiny amount of speed near junctions etc and excessive head movement at said times – to me that’s a driver lost in an unfamiliar area and one to get past asap (a safe pass though) as there’s good chance they’re not paying enough attention to driving.

I also get weary, even now, with anyone who fails to indicate – to me, if they’re willing to omit such a basic and easy action, what else are they prepared to do or not do?

I don’t think you’ll ever get written advice that will help that much in developing these skills, they are very much an ‘on the job’ training kind of thing, and to try to put them into words and then for someone else to take that on-board, would be information overload.

Jeaz, nasty. Remember reading that the first time round, gad your well on the mend. Did anything happen to the other driver in the end?

Yes, although I do kind of regret not pressing for something a little stronger now – he was given a week’s ‘driver awareness’ training, at a personal cost to him of £150, and although the Police do say these courses make a difference, I still think penalty points would have kept him thinking longer too.

When I initially spoke to the Police about their possible action, I kind of sided with the driver; reasoning that he wasn’t local and that the roundabout is poorly marked out as well – but after almost two years, I now think ‘sod him’ – we are all taught the same rules for the road, why should he break them and get away lightly!

Associate
I took my direct access at 24 (hadn't even sat on a bike before, took one of those intensive courses). Waited until the following summer (so was 25) and bought a CBR 600 F3 (1996) as my first bike. Ins was £33 a month. 1 year later and i just renewed at £22 a month.

Associate
There's nothing wrong with a 600 Sports bike as long as you can show restraint.

I'm not talking just about straight line restraint here either, it's all too easy to panic mid corner when you are not experienced to know the bike is capable of much more than you are/give it credit for.

If you do it, get used to your bike in a safe environment (track is ideal), get tuition if possible (Bikesafe as a starter) CSS are great for confidence building.

If you're in doubt, slow in fast out of corners. Leave outbraking manouvers to racers, it'll only end in tears if you try it on the road.

Going too slowly into a corner is unlikely to get you hurt (though you might **** people following off) too fast in will almost definitely end in tears. Go with what you are comfortable with and ride your own ride, not someone elses. If you get someone wanting to pass you, let them, either they are a lot better than you or they'll be in an accident you don't want to be a part of.

Associate
I did my DAS last march and went straight to a CBR600F Sport. My insurance last year was £180 third party F&F this year its £110 third party F&F. Though I am 36

Back
Top Bottom