New Rig - What psu?

Yeah i 580W Type-R its a nice looking psu, but there is just something i don't like about them. Its llike Marmite tbh, probably do a vote or something at the beginning of May and see where that ends up ....

i still say that if you can find out if the cables reach within your case the Seasonic S12 is the one to own, like someone above said regarding the PC P&C models, these too have stupidly stable rails. They don't budge, and 5V is right on 5V, 3.3v is right on 3.3v and the 12v is pretty much bang on too.

Having 12.34V on a PSU is not better than having 12.01V as long as it can maintain 12v as load increases. These are the only two PSU's I've tested that have solid voltage regulation. To top it off the Seasonic is very efficient so it will keep electric bills down :) and it is the quietest PSU of all mentioned in this thread.

Just check the cable lengths with Seasonic and then grab one neeeeooooow!!! :eek:

Can anyone tell me which cables are shorter than the others?

Nevermind :E

* 16" cable for main 20+4 pin ATX connector.
* 26" cable with two 6-pin PCIe video / SLI connectors
* 18" auxiliary 12V connector
* 19" auxiliary 4x12V connector (for dual CPU boards)
* 33 " cable with three 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power connector
* 27" cable with two 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power connector
* 2 x 24" cables with two SATA drive connectors each
* 21" cable with 3-pin PSU fan speed monitor connector for motherboard

First thing that says is hello overload with cables :P

And there is another post about regarding the seasonic psu's with heavy loaded systems that it fails. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17560859&page=13

Last edited:
Let I said up there somewhere the S12-600 makes 36A/432w@12v which is not enough. With everything but the cpu coming from one rail. Which will top out at 20A/240VA. The point is that a crossfire rig can pull more current from that one rail than it can supply. So look for more current and more rails.

fornowagain said:
The OP should calculate the loads like this overclocked example. All 12v currents, it's all that really matters with an AMD64 system. Your not going to bother the 3.3V/5V rails for much tbh.

Opteron 170 @ 2.8GHz 1.5v = 190w (Stock 110w)
Motherboard approx ~ 45w
X1900XTX say 700/850 = 145w (95% is 12v)
X1900XTCF = 107w second card isn't running flat out, say max 75% of first.
Xfi ~ 8w
2 Raptors (0.35mA @ 12v sustained, but startup goes way higher maybe 2A ) = 48w at spin up, 8.4w at load.
2 SATA 7200 RPM (0.5mA @ 12v, 1.8A at startup) = 44w start up, 12w at load
1 optical drive system = 17w
1 FDD = 5w
3 x 92mm fans ~ 36w
2 usb devices ~ 5w

What's that just using generic values? 55A/650w all on the 12v. If everything started at once and went to full load :eek: Which of course they don't. Take the hard drives at the sustained read/write values, not the spin up and that's 48A/580W (12V) still not quite right. For power calculations its normal to include factors for diversity (i.e not everything runs flat out all together), loss (inc derating) and efficiency. I usually work on stuff a bit bigger than a PC, but say the running load is only 80% of maximum, but the losses to heat and resistance are 5% and the PSU is down 5% from age (or its not a review sample). At a conservative estimate say you need 90% of the maximum load 43A/520w at 12v. And remember that's now a constant sustained load, not a millisecond peak value. Watch it, because some firms like to quote peak or they rate the unit in a freezer. Look for the ones rated at 50C, PSU's derate very quickly, like 10W/C or -100W for a delta of 10C and so on.

That's still quite a load, more than a lot of PSU can handle. You don't need 25A on all rails, 12V2 is supposed to be for the CPU only in ATX, that's going to need 16A. Some of the newer PSU's like the FSP FX700-GLN will be able to handle it. £103 (inc) with 4 rails and 50A/600w (12V) And the PCI-e are connected to different rails so they can't reach the 240VA limit.

FX700-GLN
12V1 - CPU 1
12V2 - CPU 2, PCIe 2
12V3 - Motherboard, SATA, 4-pin molex
12V4 - PCIe 1

Still if you can afford £300/£350 for the 850w/1kW PCP&C, I would, they are the best. ;)

Last edited:
Just got confirmation that the new Silverstone psu ST75ZF is out next week.
Imo it sounds better than the FSP but cant decide really, atm i think its the best on the market.

SilverStone is again setting the benchmark for consumer-level power supplies. The new Zeus is now up to 750W at 50°C while maintaining a size that is easy to integrate into most systems. With an incredible 60A combined (over 700W) for the +12V rail alone, the ST75ZF is capable of powering any top of the line systems available today and beyond. Coupled with higher than 80% efficiency and top quality cooling fan, the ST75ZF is also quieter and more user friendly than its predecessor while providing more power.

Quad +12V rail for superior performance
Dual PCI-E 6pin connectors (SLI & CrossFire ready)
Industrial class components
Support for ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V
Active PFC
Efficiency greater than 80% (max. 86%)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom