New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Soldato
Since when have these monitors had any ghosting?, I personally find them very responsive? :S

They are very responsive and have some of the best implemented pixel overdrive you'll see on any LCD. It isn't perfect but as you'll see with your own eyes it's very good.

Because of the way our eyes track movement and the way most LCDs display images there is a certain degree of 'motion blur' introduced. This isn't a physical manifestation on the monitor itself, like ghosting, but something that is caused by our perception of the image. 'Frame Sequential' mode on the Samsungs (LightBoost on others) addresses this perceived motion blur by ensuring each frame is only displayed for a miniscule amount of time. It essentially gives the monitor backlight periods of being off completely and makes the whole thing operate like a CRT did ('flickering' at the refresh rate of the monitor).

This is explained in a bit more detail in my review of the ASUS VG248QE. I'm also working on an article exploring all of the factors influencing the responsiveness of a monitor. Stay tuned! But in the meantime feel free to try Frame Sequential mode on your S23A700D to see if you notice a positive difference yourself. Some caveats include the image becoming less vibrant and more 'dull' and the fact that you will see rapidly diminishing returns at anything under 120fps. Oh you'll have to set 'Response Time' to 'Normal' before turning on Frame Sequential which induces additional input lag.

Soldato
PCM2, I have the SA700D and was thinking of changing to the BenQ XL2411T.

I have tried the Frame sequential lightboost thing and it worked ok, but could imagine how good it would be without the extra lag and worse picture.

I also have a 680GTX.

Do you think there is much difference between the two monitors PQ wise? I think for gaming the benq would be better, but I am not sure I could live with worse PQ.

Soldato
There is a significant difference in image quality. Enabling LightBoost also alters the image on the XL2411T fairly significantly and it isn't possible to achieve the same sort of 'non lightboost' image. People resort to changing GPU driver settings which can mess up colours in some games, reduce contrast and simply not work on other titles. If you have had the SA700D for some time and are satisfied with the image quality then switching to the BenQ may be a bit of a system shock. Maybe you'd adapt but personally I'm not sure you'd be happy.

Soldato
thanks very much PCM2. I think I will stick with what I have. Actually I was even considering getting an IPS screen like one of the 27 inch DGM's or Hazro, or maybe even the dell 2412M for example to try and get ok gaming experience but better PQ.

Just getting an upgrade itch I guess :)

Soldato
Hey guys, my front room, PC and S23A700D monitor have been out of action since about last september because of home improvements. I've been using my laptop since then and only now am getting round to putting my PC back together again. The monitor wasn't boxed up or properly stored away, I just laid it flat and it's got a ton of dust on it from various building works that went on from other rooms that blew into the front room. Hopefully it should be ok inside, fingers crossed. But I'm wondering if it's ok to put a mildly damp sponge or cloth over it to get it shining again? Maybe a microfibre cloth would be best?

Now then, don't laugh.. :o

2VwfvaW.jpg

0k3u19V.jpg

Soldato
Don't laugh you say?...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. :p

On a serious note, that really brings a hint of irony to Samsung's 'Ultra Clear Panel'. And you should be fine using a damp soft cloth. Ideally microfiber or one of those cloths used to clean lenses (I think Samsung provides one with the SA700, I can't remember). I would try to dap as much as you can rather than using a rubbing action, at least initially.

Soldato
Don't laugh you say?...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. :p

On a serious note, that really brings a hint of irony to Samsung's 'Ultra Clear Panel'. And you should be fine using a damp soft cloth. Ideally microfiber or one of those cloths used to clean lenses (I think Samsung provides one with the SA700, I can't remember). I would try to dap as much as you can rather than using a rubbing action, at least initially.

Lol, I said don't laugh. :p

Thanks mate, yeah, I've got some of those smooth blue ones that came with the monitor. Also, are those microfibre cloths from supermarkets with the individual short fibres showing also ok for monitors ?

Associate
OP
Does setting the monitor's response time to Fastest actually increase input-lag?

I've been switching back and forth between Normal and Fastest whilst playing Quakelive (125fps@120hz) and it feels as though the Normal setting is more responsive, albeit more blurry.

I couldn't find any reviews which compared the different settings to input-lag - only blur reduction.

A quick search on LCD overdrive (if this is the same thing) tells me that such feature does increase input lag, so I'm a little bit confused.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Permabanned
I'm having problems with mines.

I feel like games are worse than my old 60hz monitor.
If I play CS:GO I get slaughtered. When I switch back to my old Sammy 60Hz I'm really good. I don't get it.

I find it really difficult to get a 1:1 mouse movement with this monitor.
I've actually found that MarkC W7 mouse fix works better on 125% than 100%.

It's all a bit weird to me and I don't understand it.

Wish I'd bought a BenQ instead.

Now I'm going to just bear with it for a year or two and save up for a fs2333

http://gaming.eizo.com/products/fs2333/

Any news if OCUK will stock that baby ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys, I need to test if my friend's old monitor is broken. I want to take my S23A700D round there and connect it but she only has a graphics chip with a VGA port. I need a female DVI-D to male VGA adapter but can only find DVI-I female to VGA male adapters. Don't need 120hz, but will DVI-I still work in a DVI-D port?

Soldato
Yes, it should.

Wouldn't hooking your friends monitor to your rig be less hassle and just as telling, though ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes indeed, you're right, as it just occurred to me that there's a VGA out port at the rear of my laptop, so that should be perfect to connect to her monitor and see if it works. Don't need to take my desktop pc monitor now.

Associate
Does setting the monitor's response time to Fastest actually increase input-lag?

I've been switching back and forth between Normal and Fastest whilst playing Quakelive (125fps@120hz) and it feels as though the Normal setting is more responsive, albeit more blurry.

I couldn't find any reviews which compared the different settings to input-lag - only blur reduction.

A quick search on LCD overdrive (if this is the same thing) tells me that such feature does increase input lag, so I'm a little bit confused.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Sorry to bump this but I've also been wondering about this setting recently, is anyone able to share their input on this?

Back
Top Bottom