US: New Series: Colony

Soldato
Damn. I was really annoyed when this was cancelled; which I had completely forgotten about...until now. :mad:

I have half a mind to not bother in starting to watch any new TV show until it reaches a conclusion; which isn't going to be a great deal at the rate shows get cancelled...

Or someone write a book to tie it all up, I'll settle for that.

I would too. Clearly there will be no revival now, so that would at least provide some closure.

Soldato
Watched the first two seasons a while back and found it quite interesting. Binged season 3 when it appeared on Netflix recently and I think it just got better and better really.

It's a shame it was cancelled but maybe renewed interest could prompt Netflix to continue it.

Associate
I started watching S3 on netflix the other day when it appeared thinking it had been resurrected as I'd only seen up to S2 on it. Little did I remember I had saw S3 elsewhere and had just forgotten. Took me about 15 minutes into to remember I'd seen all this long ago. Was rather disappointed :(

Associate
Just finished this and need something else, any suggestions? :D

S1 episode 1 started well and episode 2 and 3 i remember hoping it would get good as wasn't too sure. Was hooked shortly after. I do feel like it could have ended on season 2 fairly well with a conclusion episode. Season 3 was quite adventurous, led me to asking lots more questions so it was a shame there's no more. Still it ended fine and i'm not left feeling empty as making up your own conclusion is fairly easy with the setting they created, but another season would easily be writable.

Caporegime
Just finished season 1 of this, quite enjoyable.

Some of it is a bit cheesy/American/in-your-face stuff - like the obvious nazi style flags and the "red hats" being like "red coats" reminiscent of the days of the 13 colonies and the British. And the walls, like a literal in your face nod to "divide and conquer".

I do like that you don't really see much of the "aliens".

I wasn't too clear initially on the geography - it seems like the Alan bloke is the "proxy governor" of a block, mostly LA city itself but he reports to an unseen governor-general for the whole LA area - there is another block we know of Santa Monica with presumably it's own "proxy governor", we do see the chief of staff, the blonde woman, who works for the governor-general for the whole of LA.

I guess we caught a glimpse of the governor of the whole of the pacific region too, the VIP:

or alien...

What I wasn't too sure on is where is the location of the office building Alan went to to meet the Chief of Staff? Is that within his block? Like the overall Governor for the whole of LA area is located within Alan's block too? Or is there some separate administrative block?

There is a green zone but that seems to be block specific and just posh houses for the senior people in that one particular block.

Anyway, it was just a minor thing, just muddled a few episodes in when it occurred as I wasn't sure where he'd traveled to or whether he'd crossed any barriers etc..

I'm presuming there aren't actually all that many "aliens", like they have the drones etc.. and the collaborators but we don't really see them. I guess this is kinda like the days of say the British Empire too - obvs the British administrators weren't completely out of sight but the British Army during that period wasn't particularly big, the empire was completely reliant on local forces, local figures occupying senior government/administrative positions etc..

Caporegime
I guess there is the art thing in series 1 being a bit of a nod to Nazi occupation too.

One thing that is a bit annoying now is the general armed goons trope the'yve gone in on too far...

Like they have scenes where there are two random armed goons stood behind the proxy block governor, random armed goons in corridors... like this endless supply of "red hats" with not much to do is rather silly, especially when the block next door has a shortage of them.

Caporegime
Ah, that's annoying that they had to leave it there at the end of season 3.

We didn't get to see much of the other "aliens", the clip with the two "outliers" being dropped somewhere and then instantly killed was very cringy/bizarre.

Soldato
Ah, that's annoying that they had to leave it there at the end of season 3.

We didn't get to see much of the other "aliens", the clip with the two "outliers" being dropped somewhere and then instantly killed was very cringy/bizarre.

Yeah they were setting something good up but unfortunately the axe fell on the show. S3 was only recently put on Netflix, I wouldn't be surprised if they take on the next season providing ratings are good enough.

Caporegime
Yeah they were setting something good up but unfortunately the axe fell on the show. S3 was only recently put on Netflix, I wouldn't be surprised if they take on the next season providing ratings are good enough.

Oh interesting to know, I guess the earlier posters in this thread have been, erm, legally watching it on holiday in the US. :D

I guess I’ve contributed to the Netflix stats by binge watching the thing, would be nice if it had another season or two.

Back
Top Bottom