New SFF pc upgrade

Soldato
Pic shows the +12v rail output on PSU is 17 Amps/204 W. Should be just about fine for the CPU and a 1050Ti 4GB (and RAM/drive etc).

The specifications for the 990 SFF state it has four DIMM slots. Did you verify there are four? Running 4 sticks of memory will increase power draw. Consider replacing with 2 x 8GB instead. Any 240-pin DDR3 will do. The Optiplex says 1333MHz but that Hynix RAM in it is capable of 1600MHz. Not sure what speed it's actually running. BIOS or CPU-Z may tell you.

And really, only increase the memory if you see you really need to. Not on the off-chance it might improve performance. It doesn't really work like that. You have to monitor real-time memory usage with HWiNFO64 or similar, and see if the system is assigning all the 8GB at times, or not.

Associate
OP
Much thanks for that I will check the ram speed details shortly, one other thing I'd like to touch on is I have made a USB recovery disk and there's is already a partition on the ssd, now while I am used to reinstalling windows and other OS in the past, and making fresh installs from recovery partitions, what's the best way to go about a drive swap and maintaining my licence? As Iv never actually had to change a main drive right from the off, I'm a bit old fashioned and usually used discs and keys. Thanks again

Oh and yes there are four ram slots

Soldato
Dell's psu's are actually quite decent so spending £52 for a extra 24w seems a foolish move to me. £57 for a extra 48w isn't exactly good value for money either. His Dell should be more than enough for a 1050/1050ti to be added although it would be nice if he could post up a picture of the label or tell us what the 12v rail on his psu is listed as on the label.

The point I was trying to make was don't take for granted that just because a label states 300w, 400w etc in big bold lettering that it can provide that power on the all important 12v rail because in a lot of cases it can't. Even worse some psu's such as the crappy Kolink core and Silverstone Essential series they fall massively short of their stated total outputs on the 12v rail. I have seen it many times on here where someone asks what is the best upgrade they can do on a 500w psu. People then suggest big upgrades due to 500-550w being more than enough power for a single gpu based system which is true when that psu is a quality one. Several times I have actually looked up the psu only to find that it is lacking on the 12v rail and isn't enough for what has been suggested. People are all too willing to spend other peoples money on here without checking some simple facts first.

Oh yeah I know that, the seasonic I had in my computer was a 520w, but only had 480w on offer via dual rail, was plenty for what i needed at the time, just I have had many dells and the psu has been crap, I had a big XPS tower with a monster of a 600w couple years ago, sadly the whole thing had issues so I dumped it.

But dell also limit their powers, in a optiplex 620 a Radeon 240 could run, but something like a GeForce 210 could or the 5450.

Soldato

Hi guys, I eventually got time time to sit down and set it up and decided to make a quick dash to a local Maplin and grab a graphics card while windows was updating. all they had on the shelf that would fit may case was a geforce gt 730. the box states a 300w psu is recommended but i thought id give it a try anyway, and it works fine i'v ran iracing for 6 hours with no issues.

all tho it does run fine it does not run full settings (for anyone familiar class 4 settings are a best compromise)

so the next step is could i a run a higher spec graphics card? or would more ram help with my current set up, when i went to buy the card i did have 2gb in mind but as i said that was all they had at the time and i just wanted to get up and running. ideally i would want to run the 4gb ti and have 3 screens.

i have also added photos of the ram chips hoping someone can help me pair up so i can upgrade to 16gb

photo of psu included too, thanks

That doesn't look too bad for a dell psu actually, but the 1050 will be the best you can get not just for your psu, but in general as like I said I don't think you can get the better models in low profile, mean I've seen mini itx systems with a 960m for example, but I'm not sure if that's just a soldered chip or you can get a card version.

Associate
OP
so close now

iv seen a Zotac GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4 GB Mini Graphics Card i was wondering if anyone is familiar with them?

also just popped out but couldn't see a msi low profile 1050ti.

all that was on the shelf was an asus gtx 1050ti 4gb and a evga 1050ti superclock 4gb. (none actually in stock tho)

at this point now should i just ONLY be looking for a msi gtx 1050ti low profile card?

oh and to add will I also just be able to get a display port to vga/dvi adapter to make use of all 3 outputs

Soldato
so close now

iv seen a Zotac GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4 GB Mini Graphics Card i was wondering if anyone is familiar with them?

also just popped out but couldn't see a msi low profile 1050ti.

all that was on the shelf was an asus gtx 1050ti 4gb and a evga 1050ti superclock 4gb. (none actually in stock tho)

at this point now should i just ONLY be looking for a msi gtx 1050ti low profile card?

oh and to add will I also just be able to get a display port to vga/dvi adapter to make use of all 3 outputs
The Zotac is short, not low profile. So won't fit. You can't just buy any 1050 - it has to be a low profile card. Anything else won't fit in the case, or may require an additional connection from the PSU.

This is the card you're after. https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP.html

The power requirement of the card isn't much more than the 730 you've got not, so should be fine.

To have 3 monitors, presuming they all have DVI inputs, you'll need:
DisplayPort to DVI adapter
2 x DVI to DVI cable.
HDMI to DVI cable.

Associate
OP
I'm still on with this got side tracked. Iv just got the new card installed and just about to install the drivers then going to run it properly. Regarding the 3 monitors I wanted to have one hdmi (television) and 2 dvi, As when I was running the old card I had a normal dvi monitor on the desk and the second screen (or 1st screen I would swap) on my rig for racing. So if I was playing a driving same I could stream television or whatever on the other screen and browse

Associate
OP
Well everything is working great :) much thanks for the help everyone. The only thing I can't do that was hoping for is triple screen for iracing I had a quick search and it seems I need nvidia surround and that is not available for the 1050ti if anyone could enlighten me that would be great, I'm just asking before I start looking into more ram and swapping the main ssd if anyone knows different that would be nice :) thanks again

Back
Top Bottom