New SFF - X-QPack Built

Soldato
Just put together a new SFF in the X-QPack case, managed to source a fully black one with no windows.

I changed the PSU for a Seasonic 380Watt and the 120mm Fan for a Noiseblocker Ultra.

Everything fitted in fine, including the normal ATX psu, the only item not fitted yet it the Zalman 7000B-Cu cpu cooler.

Spec:

AMD Athlon 3700+
ASRock 939A8X-M
1Gb Samsung PC3700
ATi X800XT PE - Modded with Arctic Cooler
160Gb Seagate & 80Gb Maxtor HD
Benq 1640 DVD-RW Black
380Watt Seasonic PSU

Here's some pics http://www.fwibble.org/gallery/view_gallery.php?gallery=newpc

:)

Last edited:
Looks very nice.

How is the noise level from the stock case and psu fans?

My shuttle SN95G with X800XT PE is near silent, I would say around 12db. and with passively cooled gfx, you can't hear anything.

Whats the noise level like with the psu and fan replacement?

The stock 120mm fan is loud, very loud. Not sure about the stock PSU as it has never been used, heard bad reports about it so never chanced it.

With the way it is setup now i'd rate it 7/10 for silence, I guess when I get the Zalman on the cpu it will be quieter still.

I've yet to decide which way to go with the cpu cooler in this case, I like the zalman coolers but I'm thinking about getting a swiftech heatsink and mounting another 120mm fan above it.

I looked at putting a standard psu in there but decided the cables would probably interfere with the back of the dvd drive so have put my faith in the one that came with it, so far it seems fine.
Touches wood, have yet to have one fail.
I'm loving this case and am looking forward to showing it off at a lan party next week.

I like having the windows except for the fact I can see the top of the dvd, I don't mind to much seeing the top of the HDD.
Will probably get some of that black film they use in car windows and put it on the front half of the top window to hide the dvd.

Standard ATX PSU fits fine mate, check out the photo I took, there's a good inch and a half gap between the back of the DVD and the PSU.

I chose the Seasonic PSU specifically as the cables from the back come out of the left hand side and not the right hand size which would interfere. Oh and Seasonic is also quiet and very good :D

Ah yeah, I missed the pics first time around, I seem to be developing selective sight :)
I tried fitting a spare psu I have, which unfortunatly has the cable access on the right. It still may have squeezed in, but as I was looking at it I remembered it's not even ATX2 so I left it.
What did you make of the HDD tray on the side, did you find it was rather loose on it's runner.
I've had the case for a couple of weeks now so I should get around to sorting out a pic or two.

Yeah that the reason I chose the Seasonic, its cables come out the other side making life easier :)

And yep, the HD slider is a little loose, im thinking some thin foam will do the trick their and might help dampen the vibrations.

Looks very nice, I sometimes regret going for the Antec Aria, although many people think that the Antec has superior build quality. But then the Qpack has the ability to take any PSU... swings and roundabouts really. :p

How's the motherboard? Have you tried overclocking yet?
Just in case you're interested I went for:

Antec Aria
Biostar TForce 939
Opteron 146
1Gb Crucial

I'd be interested to see how the AsRock board you got overclocks compared to the Biostar I got, I manage 2.8 at 1.5V.

I looked at this for a long time. I even printed out the profile photo and I reckon that yours is much better looking than the one I have with the windows.

Can you tell us where you got it or was it a competitor?

Also -if you don't want the original PSU, I'll take it off your hands just in case mine goes the way of everyone else's ;)

Can't comment on the overclocking potential as I haven't :p Don't think there is many options, there is a good review here: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/asrock/reviews/939a8x-m/g1.htm

Its base speed is very similar to others, and its been stable. Im not at all impressed with the nForce drivers so this is one of the reasons I went ULi and im happy to say there are no regrets.

WJA96 - Already found a home for the PSU :D

This looks very interesting. I can't decide between Asus AH1 or this. But I will get the chance to build 1 this monday, I'l get loads of pics and test etc.
If I dont like it, i might go for this 1 and get asus matx mobo, silent psu, noiseblocker fan, 2gig ram, Passively Cooled CPU and Opty 146 or 165.

:eek: That looks incredible! How much did it cost you? I wish e-tailers did the black version as personally i like it the best. Whats it to work with?

Also tryed overclocking on that board yet? Does it have any Vcore options/with a newer bios?

ta

just built my Qpack.

I had to cut some of the metal that holds the PSU and DVDRW. because the Sapphire X800GTO Silent Pipe wouldn't fit.

Bit noisy cause im using stock x2 3800+ fan and no fan control for the 120MM SilentX fan.

The external monitoring display is showing different temperature, then Everest home edition.

The system is nearly twice the size compared to Shutle.
I'm using Nexus 400 Watts Silent PSU with 120mm fan. it fits perfectly. Almost all standard PSU will fit, but you have to get smaller DVDRW like the Sony version. Plextor is no no

qpack6gt.jpg

Cpu temps is nice and cool running at 2.4ghz. @ 30%

Overall, good system at good price.

Last edited:
Just got my Zalman 7000Cu today and it fitted perfectly, now its really silent!

CPU temp under full load for 10 minutes was 35degrees. GPU temp hardly goes above 40 with the Arctic Cooler fitted.

Really happy so far and impressed.

I'll upload some new pics tomorrow with the Zalman fitted.

Back
Top Bottom