New SFF - X-QPack Built

Hey Bad-Co, you got into the forums! :)

Nice build, and strange how we managed to pick near identical systems.

The 939A8X-M has the standard mounting holes needed, the standard heatsink surround is attached by four holes with pushpins and is real easy to remove. Push the white pins in from the back of the motherboard and the retainer will just come off.

Looking forward to some more pictures :D

Looks very nice mate, what DVD Writer have you got? I saw some very tight cabling between the Modular and a DVD Writer on some pics (Can't remember where)

Cheers

Sandmaster500 said:
Any chance of that pic :)

7000ALCU.JPG

ah crap, i've got a biostar t-6100 939 coming, i really hope it eventually fits with the motherboard :(
atm im gonna be shoving it in a antec amg 1000 while funds increase...

Just got all my parts fitted

AMD Athlon 3700+
ASRock 939A8X-M
2gig of Ballistixs
ATi X800XT PE Arctic Cooler
160Gb Seagate sata & 40Gb Maxtor HD
Aspire X-Qpack in Silver with Windows

I had massive problems with the machine booting. It turned out to be the bios. (1.7). I tried a single 256 stick of 333 ram and managed to update the bios to 2.0. It would not boot with a single stick of 512 kingsmax.

Now I have my crucial back in, and the machine is priming now @ 2.6. temps seem okay, 48 load.

The good news is that mbm 5 works with this board

Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra also fits the board, and does a nice job. I'm getting the Thermaltake Blue Orb II tomorrow from o/c and I'm not sure if it's worth fitting now.

Another question, anyone using the asrock m/b and sata drive, do they find the hd light don't work with it?

Last edited:
Fitted the tt orb today,and all I can say is "WOW"

Full load for 3hrs and temps have dropped to cpu 38-39 case 31 with the orb set to full. Turned almost off, 43-44 cpu and case 34-36 and prime still running. Might try now for 2.7 :P

Put one of these together last night, what a nightmare I had! Turns out the wires from the power switch were shorting out on the case as the rubber sleeving had broken through in places meaning I couldn't get the machine to stay powered on for more than 2 seconds. Took me bloody ages to figure out what was going on and had to remove the front of the case to fix it.

Of course I could have just sent it back but that would have meant waiting longer, nothing a bit of insulating tape couldn't fix :p

wyrdo said:
Put one of these together last night, what a nightmare I had! Turns out the wires from the power switch were shorting out on the case as the rubber sleeving had broken through in places meaning I couldn't get the machine to stay powered on for more than 2 seconds.

This is quiet a common fault with this case.
Your fix, isn't the first time. I know at least two others fitted with extra tape :E

See this shorting problem - I think mine is doing the same thing. I turn it on and it tries to start, and then I hear a few very faint cracking noises and it turns itself off. It does this 4 or 5 times on the trot, and then normally decides to boot up, and it's fine then all day. Same problem then though next morning. I thought it was the PSU that was on the way out, but perhaps I've got the symptoms of this shorting problem.

Where exactly have you been finding the wires are shorting, is it directly behind the switch? If so I assume that the front will have to come off to sort it? Normally taking these off breaks all the plastic clips etc, was this ok to come off on this case?

I was planning a new Seasonic PSU for it anyway, so may go order one. If I'm going to have to strip it down to trace a short I may as well change the PSU at the same time. Are all the Seasonic PSU's (i.e different watts) the same physical size, or are the 450w's etc bigger?

Out of interest, regarding that seasonic PSU, I have the 430 and although the PSU fits, it is not a perfect one, i.e. becuase of the raised 3 pin surround (on the PSU itself) I have to kinda firmly click it in against the case which in turn means the screwholes are not aligned.

The box does not move so it is not a major concern, just wondered if anyone else had encountered this and whether they bent/cut part of the case?

Cheers, Paul.

Yeah I seem to remember having to shave some plastic off the mains socket on a psu recently, that must have been what it was. Just used a stanley knife :)

JEB
Your crackling sound rings alarm bells, a guy at my new job asked me about a pc he was running. He told me it was making crackling sounds but seemed to be running fine, we discussed that the psu was probably faulty but he decided to keep using it as it seemed fine.
A few days later he came and told me it went pop and took out his motherboard.

Even if your issue is just dodgy wiring, I would strongly recommend you find the cause before running the pc for much longer.
You may just be pushing your luck with it.

The front cover comes off without having to dismantle the pc. I would suggest checking the length of the wires as they could be trapped in any number of points.

The Seasonic 430W is the smallest I know of in the range and the one I would recommend.

Are you running the Aspire PSU?

Back
Top Bottom