New Sky Router - Coming September

Caporegime
What Sky calls a phase two router (the one with little dimples on it) made by Sagem (also made by D-Link and netgear) had a very large batch of faulty PSU's apparently.

Associate
Why do people keep asking if Sky routers/hubs will have gigabit? You don't need it! Until Sky achieve at least 100mb broadband on their Fibre lines then you do not need it! I also have virgin 120mb with my 20mb Sky < As a backup and for my DVR cams.. I have 2 16 port Netgear GS116 switches for both networks... If you need gigabit for anything like file transfers and WHS backups/sharing then use a switch! Rant over.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Why do people keep asking if Sky routers/hubs will have gigabit? You don't need it! Until Sky achieve at least 100mb broadband on their Fibre lines then you do not need it! I also have virgin 120mb with my 20mb Sky < As a backup and for my DVR cams.. I have 2 16 port Netgear GS116 switches for both networks... If you need gigabit for anything like file transfers and WHS backups/sharing then use a switch! Rant over.

Maybe next year. Sky Fibre on demand would be awesome. :D

Don

Because some people would prefer to have everything running over a single box, rather than powering multiple devices? :confused:

Caporegime
That confuses me about Sky, have to use their supplied router, won't give you the details to use anything different, but also expect you to pay for their poor choice of equipment when it fails.

Associate

lol, you're ranting over why people want built in gigabit? :confused: Those people you're ranting at are ranting because they've got to fork out extra cash for a separate switch. They've got a reason to rant. You're just ranting for the sake of it. And what do you mean, we don't need it? We sure do need it if we want better transfer speeds over our network.

Last edited:
Soldato
That confuses me about Sky, have to use their supplied router, won't give you the details to use anything different, but also expect you to pay for their poor choice of equipment when it fails.

That is the case with everything Sky - your Sky HD box for telly for example. If it fails, you buy a new one. Or pay an extra monthly fee for a maintenance contract. At least with Virgin, your monthly rental is all that you pay. If equipment fails, it is replaced free of charge.

Soldato
still no gigabit ports= fail in my eyes though,

I run a plex media server and 3 clients in my house (kids rooms and living room) so realistically I can be chucking a LOT of data about at any given time. i'd love an all in one solution and i'd be happy to fork out the cash for it. just surpirses me in this day and age that sky still haven't offered gigabit

Soldato
I can't say a bad word about Sky. Been with them for over 5 years. It's fast, reliable, they don't cap and and it's good value if you have the TV package. (Obligatory "Just saying LOL")

Back to the topic in hand.... router arrived yesterday. Similar sort of size to an old style Mac mini, very light. No wall wart, the PSU is internal. Syncs a tad quicker than the black Netgear (22M vs 21.2M), wireless range appears good. Maximum appears to be 144Mb. Works fine on Xbox live which is a good omen for sensible firmware! At the moment it just seems to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because some people would prefer to have everything running over a single box, rather than powering multiple devices? :confused:

+1

That is exactly right. Having Gigabit ports on a router would be ideal as it would have saved me a few quid in then having to run the connections from my DVR (doesn't need Gigabit for the DVR though) / Server / Main PC and HTPC etc to a switch prior to the router. Saves having to buy and power an additional device.

Associate
I've got the new Sky Hub and ever since it's caused me nothing but problems.

I keep getting disconnected.

Things I have tried to resolve this:
I received 2 routers from Sky both the same by mistake. I have swapped over to the other Router. No Effect.
I have changed the power cable.No Effect.
I have changed the Microfilter to another one. No Effect.
I am wired to the router, but I have also changed the wireless channel. No Effect.
I have reset the router. No Effect.
I have held the reset button in for 15 secs (hard reset).No Effect.

LL

Line Att. 33.5 / 18.5
Noise Margin. 15.5 / 24.24

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom