New SSD and HDD

Soldato
Hi all,

I currently have two ssds in my pc, one 250gb evo for the OS and another 500gb ocz for games. I also have three hdds, being a 500gb and 2 x 2tb. I am considering purchasing a new 1tb ssd for games as space is being an issue now and using the existing one for VMs. I was also considering getting a 4tb drive to replace all the current hdds as although they are not giving me issues, at least one of them is about 10 years old and would be annoying to have a failure. Just trying to consolidate older drives into one. All my really important data is backed up to one drive so although a failure would be annoying as mentioned, all data is recoverable that I care about.

Any recommendations for 4tb drives?

Regarding the ssd, I like and trust samsung brands but the latest tech on the is lost on me. I have an m.2 on my motherboard but I believe it to be a very slow one. Motherboard is an Asus ranger vii. Because of this I am unsure if I should go for a 2.5inch ssd or an m.2, just accepting the speed limitations.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Just spoken to a very helpful gentleman from OcUK.

I have decided to go for the 1TB 860 Evo SSD and a 4TB Seagate Baracuda. These choice suit my needs perfectly.

Soldato
OP
You can get Assassins Creed Odyssey free if you shop around for the Samsung.

Surprised OCUK are not in on this offer.

Thanks for the heads up, but honestly it does not worry me. Happy to give OcUK my money due to the great service, not for freebies - which are nice, but not the deciding factor. :)

Soldato
Just spoken to a very helpful gentleman from OcUK.

I have decided to go for the 1TB 860 Evo SSD and a 4TB Seagate Baracuda. These choice suit my needs perfectly.
Any reason they didn't suggest an M.2 drive? Surely it'd be faster than SATA in the majority of scenarios and you should be able to transfer the drive to a future motherboard.

Soldato
OP
Any reason they didn't suggest an M.2 drive? Surely it'd be faster than SATA in the majority of scenarios and you should be able to transfer the drive to a future motherboard.

There would be two way to get M.2 in my setup; the motherboard and an expansion slot.

The motherboard was made when M.2 was still very new and so the speeds are (according to sources) barely faster than the fastest SSDs. They are faster, but not enough to justify the cost.

To use an expansion slot I would have had to move my 1080Ti down a slot and then I would have restricted the performance of the 1080Ti, so this would not have been worth it.

Soldato
OP
All in my PC already and working well. Just transferring the last of my data now. It is a little silly to think that DPD delivered at 6.45pm and before 9am I have put the drives in, reinstalled Win10, downloaded all required programs, setup all drivers and now just waiting on data transfer. I remember when installing Windows alone would be a days task!

Back
Top Bottom