New Star Trek series - 2017

JRS

JRS

Soldato
More musing on the season, series, problematic nature of the coda.

So, Zora was self-aware right? Does it seem even slightly okay then that they sent her to lie abandoned in deep space until the events of "Calypso"? That being said, she might not have been there all that long in the end - the 1,000 years talked about in "Calypso" might include actually the time jump for S3 depending on the interpretation of things that you take. We'll never know, since the writers declined to explain anything properly in favour of leaving it all cutesy and mysterious (read: annoying and confusing).

Adira Tal. Much was made initially when they were introduced that they were a human joined with a Trill symbiont. That plot point just vanished, eh? Much like Adira seemed to regress once Gray got themselves a separate body - Adira thereafter was written like they didn't, in fact, have Tal's lifetimes behind them and instead as something closer to a non-binary version of S1 Tilly.

Additionally on that - virtually every character had their screen time sacrificed on the altar of Michael Burnham The Ever Right™, but a special mention if I may for Rayner. It took until right near the end of the season but they did figure out how to write him. If any characters deserve a spinoff series or even just a one-off adventure he's one of them. Much like Anson Mount's Pike in S2 he felt like an orphan parachuted in from a better show.

You wonder what this show would have been like if Bryan Fuller had kept the showrunner job. As it was all that was left from his time at the helm was the wildly impractical Klingon makeup, a budgetary black hole from set construction and a location shoot in Jordan for a five minute scene, and Michael Burnham.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
What's this calypso stuff talked about. Did I miss this story?

It was an episode of Short Treks done a number of years ago.

You could be forgiven for having missed it. The showrunners, in their boundless wisdom, decided it would be a great idea to make these little vignettes...and then hide them separate from the show itself in their own little category on Netflix...but also to introduce characters and plot points in them that you'd need for elements of the regular show episodes to have a chance of making sense (e.g. the introduction of Po before the S2 finale).

I expect it's different in the home market, and a lot easier to keep track of. Elsewhere in the world it's just a mess.

Caporegime
Is it over then?

Is it worth watching i gave up after the Kelpian crying kid killed warp travel....
that was awful....

im willing to go back if it gets better.

the progenitors TNG episodes(s)? were great, have they ruined that too? Was there a lot of emotional crying?

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
The show imo definitely gets lost in its ways. Which is common theme where they forget the core plot of the show and changes to something different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom