New Top Gear (2011) BBC 2 8PM!

[TW]Fox;19510104 said:

That is the road going version of the group b rally car (group 4 as well), so I was right.

The Renault 5 Turbo or R5 Turbo is a high-performance hatchback automobile launched by the French manufacturer Renault at the Brussels Motor Show in January 1980. The car was designed for rallying, but was also sold in road-going guise, with a total of 3576 being produced during its four-year production run.

Either way, neither is a Renault 5 Gordini.

The top gear crew are lucky guys having that level of access to drivers and teams at monaco race weekend.

I thought Horner and Ecclestone were good sports :)

Rest of the episode left me feeling I'd wasted an hour though, must be getting old.

Rest of the episode left me feeling I'd wasted an hour though, must be getting old.

I enjoyed the Aston segment, and the star in a rpc, but the whole Hot Hatch segment seemed pointless and inconclusive as other than the silly test scores, they didn't say enough about the cars "good and bad".

The DS3 and all the DS range are really nice looking (bar the racing paint scheme) they have done a great job with the styling, but people will still prefer something German and sensible.

Am I the only one thinking the hot hatch review wasn't actually....a review. They haven't focused on the cars at all and as usual, everything is overly contrived. Previous episodes were better, this one was wasted on a non-hot hatch segment.

you're also wrong in thinking that top gear is an informational program. Its not, its entertainment.

The purpose of the article was to laugh at james may getting lost, richard hammond to loose his car, and clarkson to speak pigeon italian with people at service stations etc..

If you want to watch an actual review. I suggest you go here

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/262645/citroen_ds3_racing_v_hot_hatch_rivals_video.html

and stop watching top gear.

It's more super town car, not hot hatch. Most hot hatches are a fair bit bigger.
Even star is a good one.

Evo are immune to all this "loltopgearclarksonitsscripted" comments. Its a proper serious motoring magazine. And even evo called the DS3 group test a hot hatch test..... Good enough for me.

I guessed two of the cars that would be in the hot hatch shootout (Abarth and DS3) before they came out, so if Top Gear is for numpties with limited car knowledge, then they're on the right track.

As for the cries of "Where was the RS?"... Top Gear have reviewed the RS before (RS500, if memory serves) and said that it was touch and go whether it had too much power for a FWD car, so it's not a wonder they've pulled back and gone for some more "sensible" cars, if a black and orange car can ever be considered sensible.

And of course, as has been said many times... Who watches Top Gear for serious motoring advice? Really? How many of us are honestly watching it wondering which £150k Aston Martin to buy?

Rant aside, being allowed to drive round Monaco must have been an enormous privilege. Another thing for the "list of things that can be accomplished with the license fee".

Unfairly bias against the Clio, tbh. The Cup model and in the hands of captain Slow. Should have had the Cup Packed standard 200 that has leather, climate, cruise, etc and given it to one of the others. But then it would have walked all over the others.

But then it wasn't a review, it was a chance to arse about the south of France and Monaco in small fun cars. And from that perspective, :):):):):).

Pointless middle of the road review of the pointless middle of the road Aston, though.

liked this episode. the messing around in cool locations is what make TG a good entertainment programme. Thought the SRPC was crap as normal, and the aston thing was a bit ****e too.

Oh, and i learnt clios are crap. :)

That is the road going version of the group b rally car (group 4 as well), so I was right.

Either way, neither is a Renault 5 Gordini.

My point was that the Clio V6 was not the first mid engined, RWD 'hot hatch', and that in the 1980's, Renault had a Renault 5 Road car which was mid engined RWD. My only mistake was the misguided assumption it was called a 'Gordini' when it was actually called a 'Renault 5 Turbo'.

My original point, that the Clio V6 was not a first, still stands.

[TW]Fox;19511820 said:
My point was that the Clio V6 was not the first mid engined,

Well technically, you didn't make a point, you asked a question, which was answered, and queried by my original post.

The Clio V6 was the first designed as a mass produced ROAD CAR the other was a Rally Car as I have said, the production only ever continued due to demand. The R5 Turbo you refer to was actually built by Alpine not Renault.

I made the point with the R5 Gordini as it is an important one, the Gordini (Also an Alpine) was technically one of the first hot hatchbacks (actual hatchbacks), giving the question you posed a completely different meaning.

Is accuracy only important when it regards BMW's?

Aston Martins = Enjoyed
Hot hatch stuff + monaco = Enjoyed
Hot hatch score board = same old same old & pointless
SIRPC = crap as always

Another meh episode for me, I don't get excited it's on anymore. Thank god for iPlayer too, can skip the boring parts.

Aston Martins = Enjoyed
Hot hatch stuff + monaco = Enjoyed
Hot hatch score board = same old same old & pointless
SIRPC = crap as always

Another meh episode for me, I don't get excited it's on anymore. Thank god for iPlayer too, can skip the boring parts.

I actualy watch it on iplayer so i can skip the SIRPC cant bear to watch it unless its a decent star. Which it normaly isnt.

Well technically, you didn't make a point, you asked a question, which was answered, and queried by my original post.

The Clio V6 was the first designed as a mass produced ROAD CAR the other was a Rally Car as I have said, the production only ever continued due to demand. The R5 Turbo you refer to was actually built by Alpine not Renault.

I made the point with the R5 Gordini as it is an important one, the Gordini (Also an Alpine) was technically one of the first hot hatchbacks (actual hatchbacks), giving the question you posed a completely different meaning.

Is accuracy only important when it regards BMW's?

Is picking apart every detail of peoples posts to create pointless off topic arguments solely to bash people with your over stroked epeen just an OcUK thing? Or does it happen elsewhere?

Personally, I feel a thread isn't complete untill someone picks apart the very fine details of someones post down to the spelling.

[TW]Fox;19509058 said:
In what way was that different to the first Renault 5 Gordini's?

You did ask the question fox !

^^ It was a limited run car for the purposes of homologation in rallying, and built in dieppe by Alpine.

Theres your differences ! :p

Incidentally, i never realised the First Renault 5 Turbos were mid engined. I thought they were front englined like the later 5 GT Turbos.

scaled.php

:D

Back
Top Bottom