New Top Gear (2011) BBC 2 8PM!

The thing is that Top Gear have an obvious bias against electric cars and despite what the spokeswoman says the conclusion at the end of the piece was that electric cars are no good. By picking a destination within range of the car and intentionally depleting the battery before setting off so it runs out there is a clear intent to subtly insinuate that the range is poor.

The range IS poor, full charge or not.

The price of those two cars are for rich people who want green credentials that then use thier v8 sports cars during the weekend. It just doesn't have the right price or range. What is there out there at the moment that a normal family can buy as a day to day car and is within budget?

I think this has potential (not that I agree with all these electric car developments:

The speed of charging and the lack of infrastructure are also very valid issues to bring up.

Exactly. They needed it to run out in Lincoln so that they could show you the lack of infrastructure for charging. That was simply where they agreed to film the "review".

If it would have pleased Nissan, they could have taken the car further away from Lincoln and charged it fully, and driven further but still had it run out in the same place? The net result would have been the same.

Anyway, if they were that concerned they shouldn't have given TG the car. It's not like they have a track record for disliking electric cars is it?

Clarkson also mentioned in the test what it costs to charge the car and what it costs per mile, did I hear it right that it's close to a Polo Bluemotion?

As Muffin said, only if you take the most expensive electricity prices. This link here will show you how much the price per kWh can vary; http://www.britishgas.co.uk/pdf/Standard gas prices.pdf
So it could be as little as £1.04 (cheapest night time rate) to completely fill the leaf batteries to £3.28 (most expensive Tier 2 as you always go past Tier 1 in normal use). If you take the combined mpg of the golf bluemotion, 74.3 mpg, you'll need 1.33 gallons of diesel to do 100 miles at current average diesel price of 136p a litre that'll cost you £8.21 in fuel.
You could get the prices to be almost the same if you used the most expensive Tier 1 price for electricity, but that'd be silly.

Five Germans in an Audi Quattro arrive at the Italian border. The Italian Customs Officer stops them and tells them "It'sa illegala to putta 5 people in a Quattro."

"Vot do you mean it's illegal?" asks the German driver.

"Quattro meansa four" replies the Italian official.

"Quattro is just ze name of ze automobile" the German says unbelievingly.

"Look at ze dam papers: ze car is designed to karry 5 persons."

"You canta pulla thata one on me-aa!" replies the Italian customs officer. "Quattro meansa four. You have five-a people ina your car and thereforea youarra breaking da law."

The German driver replies angrily, "You idiot! Call your supervisor over. I vant to speak to someone viz more intelligence!"

"Sorry" responds the Italian officer, "He can'ta come.

He's a busy with a 2 guys in a Fiat Uno

The night before the car had been delivered to Top Gear fully charged, with enough power for at least 100 miles. It was driven for 35 miles that evening before being plugged in to recharge. The charger was detached after only 55 minutes, leaving the car with a range on its electronic display of about 30 miles.

Ummmm.... I'm no good at maths but those figures don't add up! Unless Nissan meant at least 100 miles if it is driven as we say it should be.

Anyway, staging aside I think they merely managed to point out how good plug in hybrids will be for the majority of people.

As for the final feature, that was a cracker and a great way to finish the series off IMO.

Clarkson didn’t give our electric car a sporting chance

that article comes across as one of the whingiest pieces of journalism I've ever read

Like they say it was designed to show that your electric car will run out somewhere and when it does you probably won't be near a charging point yet unless you live down south

Last edited:
This all sounds like a reasonably good case for the Chevy Volt....:)

Not perfect I would agree (as it still needs charging stations to work as an EV) but it has a IC motor to top up the battery.

Yes, i think his 'review' was quite fair to be honest. He said it was a good car - he said it was comfortable, it drove well and there was tons of room. But you can't ignore what happens when you run out of charge...

They were also negative about themselves, I believe they used the term dinosaurs. They fully admitted electric is the future, what I took from the article is this:

Too Expensive
Range too small
Charging points lacking
recharging time too long.

I personally, just can't see why anyone would want one. I just can't see the logic in wanting one, or how they're good for the environment. They're designed for short trips around the city, back to your house and charge again. This surely can't be efficient when you consider how much energy is wasted in someone earning £35K and some company producing (ie design, manufacturing) the car.

I just don't buy it.

The electric car debate is as tedious as Wind Farms.

Its a short term solution, which is utterly rubbish in most ways.

In reality, we will have FUSION power generation soon-ish, and when this happens, the entire worlds way of doing things will turn on its head.

Not only will you be able to run normal engines on Hydrogen, you can have hydrogen powered cars, and Fuel Cell powered cars also.

So three ways to get round the energy problem.

People need to think a little more long term, whenever I see a Wind Turbine, I just LOL at its sheer patheticness and how it wrecks the view of the landscape.

All because they couldnt be bothered to wait for fusion, or to put more money into fusion.

Hell, Fusion has been done, I think even for 30 seconds (world record?)

So progress IS being made.

What will happen is that the developed countries will be the only ones who can afford the new fusion reactors, and the Oil and Gas companies will still make a mint out of holes like Africa, India, Indonesia, South Amercia etc, where nothing will change energy wise.

Still, thats whats going to happen. No question.

Back
Top Bottom