New Top-Level Domains

Associate
Good thing we have google, would have no hope remembering which TLD each website is using.

How many websites use weird ones anyway? Prettymuch every website I use is either .co.uk or .com, maybe .org.uk on occasion

Associate
When I left my old job (software engineer) my colleagues/friends thought it would be funny to by me a .guru domain. Been waiting for it to get registered for ages. No idea what I will do with it when it is registered though.

Soldato
So unnecessary. The only thing I can see a use for is the custom TLDs; .bbc, .google etc.

Things like sport.bbc for example are much neater and memorable (I can still never remember whether it's sport.bbc.co.uk or news.bbc.co.uk/sport or bbc.co.uk/sport).

There's also going to be SHED loads of campers holding cruddy 'formed' words like spider.web and bl.inc. Every other common word will be sniped as well which leaves absolutely nothing of use.

Out of interest, how does the process work for registering domains?

Last edited:
Associate
These really aren't needed, having worked in the online sector for years, these just come as another gimmick. As Russianting said, some like the BBC could do well, but the majority will be just more clutter

Soldato
I'm quite annoyed by these if I'm honest. Just another way to drag money from businesses. They say we're running out of .co.uk and .com ones but really were not its just people sitting on them without intention to use them.

If it wasnt for the 6 figure sums some of them decide to attach I wouldn't be so annoyed. Sell them for a few thousand fine doesn't stifle a memorable name too badly but when they ask £100,000 plus for an unknown entity it prices start ups out.

I only see these new gtld as money printing schemes/more hassle for people like myself when we have to buy more domains to protect a brand identity :(

(Feel free to shred me just how I feel).

Associate
So did they offer large companies ( Disney, Microborg, Intel for example ) the chance to purchase theirs before anyone else can snatch it and hold it for ransom ?

Associate
What is the best way to preregister some of these? I am after a .support domain for my business? I am with 1&1 for my other domains but for some reason it won't show me what I have preregistered or what I can buy yet ?

Back
Top Bottom