New Top-Level Domains

Caporegime
Good thing we have google, would have no hope remembering which TLD each website is using.

How many websites use weird ones anyway? Prettymuch every website I use is either .co.uk or .com, maybe .org.uk on occasion
That's because they were the only TLDs available... so of course the only sites you see are those ending .com etc.

So unnecessary. The only thing I can see a use for is the custom TLDs; .bbc, .google etc.

Things like sport.bbc for example are much neater and memorable (I can still never remember whether it's sport.bbc.co.uk or news.bbc.co.uk/sport or bbc.co.uk/sport).

There's also going to be SHED loads of campers holding cruddy 'formed' words like spider.web and bl.inc. Every other common word will be sniped as well which leaves absolutely nothing of use.

Out of interest, how does the process work for registering domains?
bbc.sport makes better sense than sport.bbc. As does cnn.sport fox.sport etc.

Associate
I can only see this becoming confusing for the average joe. Currently people hear or see a web address www.bbc.co.uk and can associate it with being a web URI easily. When that becomes www.bbc (or just bbc) there's no obvious way of saying "That's a web address" for the average user. I hate to say it but we may need to think up a new syntax for displaying them. Twitter hashtags kinda work as much as I hate them. Perhaps we'll need to start displaying web addresses with a / in front. e.g. /google /bbc /sport.bbc and get everyone to re-learn the syntax.

Either way, it's both unnecessary and pointless as well as expensive for businesses.

That said, I'm quite happy none of the TLDs are shorter than three letters. It keeps the value in the single character ccTLDs I own, at least.

Soldato
OP
I can only see this becoming confusing for the average joe. Currently people hear or see a web address www.bbc.co.uk and can associate it with being a web URI easily. When that becomes www.bbc (or just bbc) there's no obvious way of saying "That's a web address" for the average user. I hate to say it but we may need to think up a new syntax for displaying them. Twitter hashtags kinda work as much as I hate them. Perhaps we'll need to start displaying web addresses with a / in front. e.g. /google /bbc /sport.bbc and get everyone to re-learn the syntax.

http://

But I think the <something>.<something> is sufficient anyway.

Soldato
If they introduced a cap on the amount domain names could be sold for then we wouldn't need these extra TLDs. It's just difficult to get anything memorable these days. I have one site that's a .org as the .com has been purchased since 2003 yet they still want £650,000 for it. A few grand and its affordable whilst still making these plebs some money and then a startup has the ability to have a memorable name.

Soldato
OP
Next batch:

On February 19th, 2014, at 11AM EST, .construction, .contractors, .directory, .kitchen, .land, .technology and .today will all be available for general registration.

Should have at least gone with .tech, instead of .technology.

On February 25th, 2014, at 11AM EST, you can get your very own .sexy or .tattoo domain name. Then, on February 26th, 2014, at 11AM EST, .diamonds, .enterprises, .tips, and .voyage will all be available for general registration.

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Just to expand, they are known to send out threatening emails upon domain renewal to confuse people etc. I always avoid big named companies and go for the smaller ones personally.

Been with vida since 2011, though they are slightly more expensive ive never had an issue and the tech support is awesome.

going to read more in to this and see if its actually worth £20 or just park more subs for £6 a pop

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally avoid TSO or Vida or that bunch of companies. I'm slowly moving everything away from my TSO account to my Simplexwebs account.

Had a domain though TSO which expired. Paid the ~£7 invoice but no cigar because the domain was already expired and their automated system didn't know what to do.

Anyway raised a support ticket and they wanted £60 to simply register the same domain again. :D

Went to EuroDNS and registered the same domain literally a few minutes later for about £5.

Didn't even bother replying to their attempt at extortion and I let them keep the £7 as well.

Soldato
How many believe its worth registering the new extensions? Or is it easier to claim trademarks if someone else tries to use them?

Not sure i fancy paying another £50 a year to register domains I don't need.

Soldato
OP
March 17th, 2014, at Noon EST, you can pick up your very own .menu domain. Then, on March 19th, 2014, at Noon EST, search and register for your very own .uno, .academy, .center, .company, .computer, .management, and .systems.

How many believe its worth registering the new extensions? Or is it easier to claim trademarks if someone else tries to use them?

Not sure i fancy paying another £50 a year to register domains I don't need.

The domains are about £15-20 a year, which if you really hold a valuable trademark is nothing.

daz

daz

Soldato
Had a domain though TSO which expired. Paid the ~£7 invoice but no cigar because the domain was already expired and their automated system didn't know what to do.

Anyway raised a support ticket and they wanted £60 to simply register the same domain again. :D

Went to EuroDNS and registered the same domain literally a few minutes later for about £5.

Didn't even bother replying to their attempt at extortion and I let them keep the £7 as well.

It sounds like there was some confusion over the domain and it being in redemption. The £60 fee would have been a redemption charge which is charged by the registry between day 30 and day ~80 to get the domain back.

If it had already dropped and was available to register then whoever you spoke to has made a mistake. :(

Back
Top Bottom