New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
Really looking forward to this. Obviously we've known there's collaborative car between Toyota and BMW in the works with various camo photos being shown from the 'Ring etc. The car has now been formally announced as the new 'Supra' as of a few minutes ago with the racing concept version being unveiled at Geneva. More info here :)

RxQg8rj.jpg

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-gr-supra-racing-concept

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is this topic misleading or am I missing something here? The article linked is titled: 2018 Geneva Motor Show: Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept

Yes you’re missing the point a little - the name ‘Supra’ has been formally confirmed. Up until now it was unclear on what the new car would be called. The physical car being shown is a racing concept yes.

Dreams, won't look like that though. :(

Can but hope mate, 50k price tag and 400bhp? Keep everything crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
If true that’s quite disappointing. I was hoping it would be a bit quicker than that.

Thing is though, is 4.5 seconds to 60 for a road car really not enough? At what point is anything under 5 seconds not enough? I know you like your cars and whatnot, but c'mon, that's plenty for the road. Also, for what it's worth Toyota are always really conservative with their figures. The GT86 for example is down as something daft like nearly 8 seconds to 60, which is utter rot - the only way I can see someone doing that is having a full tank of fuel, passengers and a boot full of luggage. The price seems a little odd given the M cars competition, but then I guess with it being a dedicated coupe rather than saloon there's going to be a bit of a premium added 'because sports car'. Either way we still have to wait until 2019 to see what the craic is, I just hope it's a belter and it lives up to the Supra name.

Soldato
OP
Yea I don't know why Toyota do that. They always seem to sell themselves short when it comes to performance figures. Maybe it's to attract "the right audience" or drive insurance costs down, who knows.

I'd imagine it's an insurance thing too. I've always thought the 86 is a surprisingly cheap car to insure, but then I'm getting old now :D

Soldato
OP
It'll be interesting to see if they do an 'Aero' variant like on the 86 which will have a slightly different kit on it and the typical Toyota big wing.

I'm reading rumours of two specs of the 3.0l being mooted, one being road focused and another for the track, the track one having the 380bhp and the road one being the 340bhp version of the B58. I wonder if they'll do the 'track' one as the Gazoo Racing version. Either way it's not long until we find out, 5 more days. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just on a tangent here but the only rust issue on the 86 is the front quarter window which was a known issue on the early cars. Easily sorted under warranty by the newer version of the part which doesn't have the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom