New tv for around £300.. far too many.. making my head hurt

Associate
Evening all
Been looking around for a new TV and realise I know nothing about them..there are just way too many!! My present tv is 10 years old!!
I mean do I get a 2023 model or go for a a 2022 which has come down in price ? Brand, screen type etc..
Ideally I would like
42" or bigger
Has Netflix, amazon prime, iplayer, free view, Disney, YouTube etc
I won't be playing any demanding games. Maybe eventually I will get a Nintendo switch or simular for the kids.
I have narrowed it down to 2 TV
Panasonic TX-43MX600B (2023) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43 inch with Freeview Play & Dolby Atmos, Black
And
LG UR78 43UR78006LK - 43'' Smart LED-LCD TV - 4K UHDTV.

Both are around £299.
Which would you suggest ?
Or feel free to point me to a better set.

Many thanks

Soldato
Both are good brands so I would say either. Personally I would stick with either Panasonic or LG. There's a list of TV brand websites here if you want to do further research.

Soldato
Evening all
Been looking around for a new TV and realise I know nothing about them..there are just way too many!! My present tv is 10 years old!!
I mean do I get a 2023 model or go for a a 2022 which has come down in price ? Brand, screen type etc..
Ideally I would like
42" or bigger
Has Netflix, amazon prime, iplayer, free view, Disney, YouTube etc
I won't be playing any demanding games. Maybe eventually I will get a Nintendo switch or simular for the kids.
I have narrowed it down to 2 TV
Panasonic TX-43MX600B (2023) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43 inch with Freeview Play & Dolby Atmos, Black
And
LG UR78 43UR78006LK - 43'' Smart LED-LCD TV - 4K UHDTV.

Both are around £299.
Which would you suggest ?
Or feel free to point me to a better set.

Many thanks

I'd spend a little bit extra and get the Panasonic TX-43MX800B. Can you fit a 50" at all?

Soldato
Unfortunately no.. 50 is too big. My old one is 47" and already a tight fit for the space

Well if you find one you like on the Panasonic site I can sort you 15% voucher off. The 43" MX800B is out of stock at moment though, unless you want to go for an OLED MZ800B at £679 ;)

Soldato
Ha thanks. Very tempting but must kept to my budget! Or else I will never get to upgrade my gpu !!!

If the 800 comes back into stock would be £340. Can find out Tuesday if can hold off until then, otherwise the 600 model for £255 650 model £323.

Soldato
Because you are relying on the TV for using the streaming services then I would definitely suggest LG as they are the best by a long way with there apps and UI smoothness
Agreed, I've got a 2017 LG OLED and it still gets app support and updates. I've no idea what platform Panasonic use now but I doubt it's nearly as well-supported as WebOS.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't forget you don't have to go the TV route. You can get a monitor and a smart TV box.
That way you don't have to worry about support etc as you just replace the box.

Man of Honour
How old is your 47"? I find that people often don't realise just how big older TV's were due to bezels etc. It's possible a current 50" will fit just fine depending.
^ This.

If the old TV was something like an LG 47LM4600 (2013) then the screen width with the bezel is 42.9". That Pana MX600 but in 50" is just 44" wide. Much of the extra screen size is offset with the much thinner bezel. It's worth a look at the dimensions.

On a side not, personally I would avoid any of the cheaper 4K UHD LED TVs. They all suffer from limited brightness output, especially for HDR. That, combined with either poor blacks but good viewing angles of LG IPS panels, or better blacks but poor viewing angles of Panasonic VA panels makes OLED a seriously attractive option.

Back
Top Bottom