[NEW] UEFA Euro 2012 Last Man Standing (Round 1)

Man of Honour
Hi all. :)

We start a brand new International version of Last Man Standing with the European Championship commencing from next Friday 8th June 2012.

We've not tried this format before so we'll see how we get on. We may need to tweak the rules slightly for the knockout stages, but we'll look at that nearer the time.

Anyone is free to join in (the more the merrier!) but you must start from Round 1 and continue in each round thereafter to stay in the game.

Rules

You pick a different International team each round and as long as your teams keep winning you stay in the game. The important thing is you cannot pick the same team twice. So if you pick Portugal that's them gone for the rest of the game for you. Once your selected team loses or draws you're out of the game.

In the event of match involving a team you have selected being postponed or cancelled, you will continue to the next round, however that team will no longer be available for selection. Should the game be played before the conclusion of the current edition and the selected team fails to win, you are eliminated.

Should you forget (or are unable) to make your selection in any round, you will automatically be assigned the first team that you have not previously selected in alphabetical order. Whenever possible I will send reminders via trust email to players that have yet to make their selection within 24 hours of the deadline.

If you fail to select in three consecutive rounds you will automatically be eliminated.
Hall of Fame

Previous Winners
Euro 2012 -

Longest Winning Streak
-

Round 1

France v England
Germany v Portugal
Netherlands v Denmark
Poland v Greece
Republic of Ireland v Croatia
Russia v Czech Republic
Spain v Italy
Ukraine v Sweden

Selections by Friday 8th June 17:00 please and GL!

Last edited:
Soldato
Say you've picked Spain and Germany in the first two rounds... then it's a Spain v Germany final... you've automatically lost? So people should try and pick the weakest side they think will get a win, in each last man standing round they play, right?

(That's a pro tip, everyone! Wasting a Holland pick sounds like a bad plan, to me! ;))

Assuming anyone gets to the final. The winner will probably just be the 'last man standing' during the quarters/semis, not the winner/joint winner of picking the final winner.

Man of Honour
OP
Say you've picked Spain and Germany in the first two rounds... then it's a Spain v Germany final... you've automatically lost? So people should try and pick the weakest side they think will get a win, in each last man standing round they play, right?

(That's a pro tip, everyone! Wasting a Holland pick sounds like a bad plan, to me! ;))

I take your point. We may have to consider re-setting the teams already selected by those who are still in the game after the group stages?

Thoughts?

Man of Honour
Don't change the rules IMO, I've seen a few tournament prediction thingies over the years (varying formats) and I can tell you now that you will NEVER please everyone, there will always be something 'flawed' about whatever system you use. A guy at work did something in 2010 and got a bit stressed at times because his (quite elaborate) system had all sorts of point scoring categories, some people thought it was "wrong" that their chosen teams won more games yet they had fewer points than others (due to points being given for more than just results, like yellow cards etc), but those were the rules. Your tournament, your rules, if people don't like it they can jog on :)

Key thing is just be clear and upfront about the rules, don't change them after people have made their choices, then everyone knows how it works, flawed or not it is the same for everyone.

Shame there's not a 3rd/4th place playoff as that might have alieviated the 'problem' by making a minimum of 4 teams available in every round.

edit: another "pro tip" following on from the above, it could get interesting come the third round of group matches, as there could feasibly be a situation where you need to factor the likelihood of qualification into your selections. So for example if a team has already qualified then you might want to avoid choosing them since they are guarenteed to be in the knockout stage - whereas there is no point 'saving' a team that is going home, compared to the normal last man standing where you might save a top side for a later round.

Finally - I think given that there are only 6 rounds there is a reasonable chance that we could have multiple winners.... although teams getting knocked out will be a factor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom