New UI for Samsung phones - OneUI

Man of Honour
S8 and Note 8 will get One UI.

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1060736944257196032?s=19

Not convinced so far.

sy3LqPo.png

What is that huge banner on the top about?!

When you scroll up it shrinks and fills the space with messages you're not focusing on etc. Least that's how I understand it. It's to make one handed use easier or two handed but make better use of usable screen space without constantly juggling your fingers from top to bottom of a large display.

For no reason other than they want to keep hold of legacy ports like headphone jack and SD card:p

New UI is awful imo, just like every other Samsung OS.

New UI looks really good and is actually based on material ux stipulated by Google in Android 9. Samsung have just polished it up quite a bit.

Legacy ports don't bother me but I can see how some people would be annoyed after spending a lot on high end IEMs only to have to use a usb-c dongle which doesn't deliver as clean or as powerful a signal as a dedicated 3.5mm jack for those needs.

Soldato
That is enough to make me consider dumping my S8+ right now to be honest. I expected to at least get Pie with all the gubbins and nothing more than that. IOS or a 6T is looking more appealing right now and I only bought this thing in April!
The S8 is already 18 months old. Assuming s8/note8 get a open Pie beta after the S9/note9 and release shortly after, I can see them getting on for 2 years when this is released. How long do you want them to continue releasing software for old phones? security updates yeah, i get that completely but this? It's definitely a nice to have (if it works) but i wouldn't be losing sleep if my s8 didnt get it. People talk about how history tells us Samsung will drop the S8, well history also tells us that new software releases are always completely underwhelming so i'm not sure how important they really are.

Anyway, my S8 will probably fall apart completely before this is released anyway so what do i care?:D

Last edited:
Soldato
The S8 is already 18 months old. Assuming s8/note8 get a open Pie beta after the S9/note9 and release shortly after, I can see them getting on for 2 years when this is released. How long do you want them to continue releasing software for old phones? security updates yeah, i get that completely but this? It's definitely a nice to have (if it works) but i wouldn't be losing sleep if my s8 didnt get it. People talk about how history tells us Samsung will drop the S8, well history also tells us that new software releases are always completely underwhelming so i'm not sure how important they really are.

Anyway, my S8 will probably fall apart completely before this is released anyway so what do i care?:D
Oh I hear you there completely. I was just expecting to get samsungs vision of Pie i.e the complete package as a final major update to the device. Mind you, having said that I think Pie is quite literally the first version of Android I am not too keen on.

All hail PrinceMicheal aka Ice Universe for the latest news.

Soldato
Oh I hear you there completely. I was just expecting to get samsungs vision of Pie i.e the complete package as a final major update to the device. Mind you, having said that I think Pie is quite literally the first version of Android I am not too keen on.

I'm with you there. The only thing i really want from pie is the volumn slider. the popup in oreo bugs the life out of me.

Soldato
New UI looks really good and is actually based on material ux stipulated by Google in Android 9. Samsung have just polished it up quite a bit.

I was thinking it basically looked like a Material themed UI. Not sure about the text options with the underlined... but other than that, very Material design.

So should I did my Note 9 out? Can we get the beta now?

Man of Honour
I was thinking it basically looked like a Material themed UI. Not sure about the text options with the underlined... but other than that, very Material design.

So should I did my Note 9 out? Can we get the beta now?

Note 9 isn't on the new UI beta, S9 and S9+ owners can get the beta via the Samsung Members app and clicking Notices and choosing the One UI beta. Was the same with Samsung Experience and Oreo last year with the S8/Note 8. Notes don't tend to get the beta IIRC.

Soldato
https://www.sammobile.com/2018/11/12/galaxy-s8-galaxy-note-8-one-ui-update

When Samsung announced One UI, the new user interface that will accompany Android Pie for the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy S8, S8+ and Galaxy Note 8 owners were left to wonder if they would be getting the new UI as well. A report that came out on day one of SDC 2018 put things into question, as a Samsung spokesperson apparently said the S8 and Note 8 would miss out on One UI. Well, Samsung has since confirmed that is not the case. The Galaxy S8 and Note 8 will get the same Android Pie update as their successors.

Back
Top Bottom