New valve vr hmd

Soldato
Although the headset and improved audio is exciting, I think its the knuckles controllers which really entice me to wards the system.

Great points though that the software needs to be there too. Ideally valve needs to release 2-3 titles AND release some form of aid for developers to make games for their headset easily.

Soldato
Price will be a factor. £600 and many will bite. £800 and it starts looking expensive.

I guess this will make Oculus sweat a little. Competition is good. I expect the Rift S may get a price cut sooner rather than later if the Index starts eating into its sales.

Soldato
Although the headset and improved audio is exciting, I think its the knuckles controllers which really entice me to wards the system.

Great points though that the software needs to be there too. Ideally valve needs to release 2-3 titles AND release some form of aid for developers to make games for their headset easily.

I think if any company can do VR software frameworks right, it's going to be Valve. I'm anticipating they will provide a lightweight engine and set of design principles that can optimise the experience and don't require super-expensive graphics cards.

The fact the leaked recommended spec mentions a GTX 1070 or equivalent makes me think that, anyway.

I have high hopes for this bit of kit.

Associate
I'm hopeful that it'll be a completely high end spec headset as Oculus have the mainstream end of things quite well covered. Rather than split the mainstream market it would be good to have an enthusiast headset out there to light the way for future headset development. £800 for the headset, knuckles controllers and 2 tracking stations would be a good launch price.

Soldato
I think if any company can do VR software frameworks right, it's going to be Valve. I'm anticipating they will provide a lightweight engine and set of design principles that can optimise the experience and don't require super-expensive graphics cards.

The fact the leaked recommended spec mentions a GTX 1070 or equivalent makes me think that, anyway.

I have high hopes for this bit of kit.

I agree.

If this has:

1. Increased resolution
2. Wider FOV
3. Wireless optional addon/module
4. Better gen 2 control scheme (this is pretty much confirmed)
5. Virtual Link

Then I'll probably swap from my Rift.

I'm not sure if its even possible to nail the increased resolution AND wider FOV but I really hope it is. It'll be a nice alternative to the Pimax.

Can anyone who is good at tech post a sample of what say the rift FOV is like compared to a 135 FOV? I feel like my rift FOV is limiting.

Associate
If that leaked info of it having DP 1.2 is true, that is not good. Means it is still low resolution.

The HP Reverb has DP 1.3 to handle its higher resolution.

Soldato
If that leaked info of it having DP 1.2 is true, that is not good. Means it is still low resolution.

The HP Reverb has DP 1.3 to handle its higher resolution.

I think so, but if their lense tech patent compensates for lower resolution and masks the screen door effect then it could be a very attractive proposition. Until we see specs, and most importantly previews, I wouldn't put money down.

I doubt it will have wireless capability, but will be presently surprised if it does. I think their key USP will be the lense technology and the playability of the experience.

Soldato
Remember, wider FOV means lower pixel density unless it's a much higher resolution panel. If it's using Vive Pro panels with a higher FOV then the apparent resolution increase might not be much.

Associate
I'm more excited to find out what software they have up their sleeves but good to see nevertheless
Seems like there will be 3 games (I hope launching with the headset) - https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-valve-still-committed-making-three-vr-full-games/

HLVR seems all but officially confirmed via leaks - https://github.com/DankParrot/Source2Wiki/wiki/Half-Life-VR

As for the other 2, with nothing to back it up I'd guess maybe a left4dead game? I'd think with games like arizona sunshine being fairly popular it'd made sense.
Unless valve have new IP coming up I'm not sure how well their other current titles would translate to VR. Counter strike wouldn't really be a 'full game'. Portal Stories: VR (fan made) was okay but real portal mechanics might make people sick. I know they have other games but there are similar points with them.

Man of Honour
Yeah Valve have confirmed 3 full VR titles for some time. I really hope it is Half Life and Portal plus 1. I'm not keen on scary stuff in VR because it makes me **** myself so not fussed for left 4 dead!

Associate
Remember, wider FOV means lower pixel density unless it's a much higher resolution panel. If it's using Vive Pro panels with a higher FOV then the apparent resolution increase might not be much.

I really trust Valve's ability to provide the right compromise. They have some incredible engineers and are IMHO the authority on commercial headsets. I might have said something similar of Oculus, but the lack of IPD adjustment shows how they have fallen.

If you listen to some of Alan Yates early interviews on the Vive, he had an answer for everything, showing Valve had been slogging away at this problem for years. What was most impressive was how he could articulate the incredibly difficult task of forming a workable compromise for the majority of consumers into a cost effect and reliable product.

Essentially the average person really doesn't understand the importance or difficulty of engineering compromise and Valve are very good at it. Trust them to do it right. Or you could try yourself and fail miserably (PIMAX).

Associate
Would be cool if it came out with working eye tracking integration, Either way If it's not got it at release I hope they have made it possible later on. I want to see the headsets lasting a good 3-4 year before you feel the need for hardware upgrades.

Soldato
The one concern I have with the new Valve HMD is that it sounds like it'll be more demanding than the current Rift/Vive, but SteamVR lacks IMO the software optimisation of the Rift.

I'd hate to have to replace my 2080 with a 2080ti just to play SkyrimVR modded on the Index, but its likely that could be what is necessary for this interim period.

If this headset nails:
1. Improved FOV
2. Improved Resolution
3. Solid Audio +/- haptics
4. Wireless option/upgrade path
5. Next gen control scheme (knuckles)

Then I'll likely pay the early adopters fee. From the leaks, at least 3 and 5 are pretty much confirmed.

Soldato
£919 all in (HMD, Lighthouses and Index controllers) :eek:

Displays
Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)

Framerate
80/90/120/144Hz

Optics
Double element, canted lens design

Field of View (FOV)
Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive

Inter-pupillary Distance (IPD)
58mm - 70mm range physical adjustment

Ergonomic Adjustments
Head size, eye relief (FOV), IPD, speaker positions. Rear cradle adapter included.

Connections
5m tether, 1m breakaway trident connector. USB 3.0, DisplayPort 1.2, 12V power

Tracking
SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations

Audio
Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), frequency response: 40Hz - 24KHz, impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.

Aux Headphone Out 3.5mm

Microphone
Dual Microphone Array, Frequency response: 20Hz – 24kHz, Sensitivity: -25dBFS/Pa @ 1kHz

Cameras
Stereo 960 x 960 pixel, global shutter, RGB (Bayer)

Optimized for FOV
The best way to improve field of view is to position the optics as close as possible to the eyes. Physically adjustable IPD (distance between eyes) and eye relief (distance from lens to eye) lets you optimize the field of view for your face. With these features, as well as the dual-element lens and canted optics, this headset provides 20° more FOV than the HTC Vive for typical users.

Dual-element lens
The custom lenses built into the Valve Index Headset maximize field of view without sacrificing edge-to-edge clarity. High geometric stability allows you to look around the scene by moving your eyes (not just your head) with minimal shape distortion.

Canted optics
Instead of a mount perpendicular to the user’s eyes, the headset’s displays cant outward by 5 degrees. This improves outer FOV while balancing the inner FOV.

Ultra-nearfield flat panel speakers
The composite honeycomb-panel speaker drivers in the Valve Index provide their full-frequency range across a nearly 180-degree dispersion pattern. This allows us to accommodate the widest possible diversity of ear and head shapes without sacrificing sound quality.

Off-ear immersion
Designed to provide a more natural way to experience audio, the Valve Index speakers do not touch the ears, so the sound interacts with the geometry of the outer ear and the head. With off-ear immersion, audio feels like it comes from the environment around you rather than from inside your head.

Long-session comfort
No physical contact means cooler temperatures and a huge improvement in comfort, no matter how long you play. Each speaker's position is also adjustable and can be moved to the audio sweet-spot for all heads.

Adjustments for every head
You can adjust Valve Index for your head size, face angle, and ear position. Then fine-tune your visual experience with IPD and eye relief adjustments.

Antimicrobial fabrics
The soft surfaces that touch your head and face are made with high-quality, woven antimicrobial fabric, which is soft on the skin and easy to clean. Ergonomically designed padding means pressure is evenly and comfortably distributed.

Quick-swap face pads
The face gasket for this headset is replaceable with a magnetic interface for easy cleaning and swapping. We encourage after-market mods and solutions, and will soon be providing the specifications for these face pads.

Cameras
The Valve Index HMD includes stereo, global-shutter RGB cameras made for computer vision, enabling applications like high-quality stereo pass-through. We are excited to see what the computer vision community creates.

Sample code coming soon

Front expansion slot
Lovingly referred to as the Frunk, the front compartment includes a USB 3 Type-A port - specifically made for tinkerers and makers. Specs and details will be provided soon.

Specs coming soon

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index
https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom