New workstation/gaming build, RAM advice

Associate
I've been rocking a i7-4770k build for close to 4 years now and only upgraded the RAM to 32GB and GPU to a 1080ti which I'm happy with for now, so i'm focused on the core build and re-using most of my current hard drives. I'm also going for a bit of a theme build for the first time in a Thermaltake x9

Currently looking at
AMD Threadripper 2950x
MSI Meg creation X399
64GB RAM

The RAM I've been eyeing up is the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB kit but wondering what speed is best to go for. Is the 4x16GB kit quad channel or do I have to go to the 8 stick kit for that? Also I heard that there were RAM Blank Kits for these so you could fill the spare slots for RBG only without having to bust out for expensive RAM modules but I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks all

Soldato
I've been rocking a i7-4770k build for close to 4 years now and only upgraded the RAM to 32GB and GPU to a 1080ti which I'm happy with for now, so i'm focused on the core build and re-using most of my current hard drives. I'm also going for a bit of a theme build for the first time in a Thermaltake x9

Currently looking at
AMD Threadripper 2950x
MSI Meg creation X399
64GB RAM

The RAM I've been eyeing up is the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB kit but wondering what speed is best to go for. Is the 4x16GB kit quad channel or do I have to go to the 8 stick kit for that? Also I heard that there were RAM Blank Kits for these so you could fill the spare slots for RBG only without having to bust out for expensive RAM modules but I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks all

whats your workstation workload based on/programs ?

Soldato
Daz Studio (1080ti takes the brunt for the rendering), photoshop, Illustrator. Will also be learning visual studio c# and unity.

adobe tends to favour intel still.

cost of the TR

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,771.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

could get intel and another 1080ti for rendering for roughly same price

Total: £1,886.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

believe unity still favours intel and then gaming , intel still hold the edge

or save some cash with first gen 16 core and in stock aorus

Total: £1,590.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
I'm starting to wonder is it even worth upgrading from i7-4770k?

One of the other reasons I was looking at the TR-2950x was that it's more than likely that the x399 platform is a bit more future proof especially when 7nm zen2 hits. Intel has always been an absolute nightmare with outdating chipsets with the next release.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm starting to wonder is it even worth upgrading from i7-4770k?

One of the other reasons I was looking at the TR-2950x was that it's more than likely that the x399 platform is a bit more future proof especially when 7nm zen3 hits. Intel has always been an absolute nightmare with outdating chipsets with the next release.

depends on your outlook. new TR 24/32 cores cant run on 1st gen X399 boards. MSI and Aorus had to re-update theirs which was lacking behind Asus, which didn't do anything bar add a fan and that struggles with the new chips .
depends how ZEN2 comes out, if its more cores and speed then power could still be a high drain - so get yourself a good board liekt he Meg or Aorus.

so adobe, intel always carries the buck but Ryzen isn't to far being, specially if Video editing rather then photo work . If your rendering then GPU POWER!!!!

also depends at the res of your monitor your gaming at, if 1080 - going ryzen/TR will most likely cost your performance were as intel you could gain due to higher speed .

everything is pro and cons. If your doing a lot of rendering, would just swap 1080ti with 2080ti (get good price on 1080ti since all going out of stock! and rtx 2070 is about £500 and weaker) , then step up monitor if needs be for gaming
see how q2 2019 plays out :D

Back
Top Bottom