Newbie comp builder needs some help :P

When i installed Windows, the drive was completely partitioned, so do i assume the slipstreamed drivers worked? (Just wondering)

And resetting the CMOS didn't help...

It must be a hardware problem but i thought i had everything done fine. Is it possible to mess up RAM installation? I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Guess i'll need to go over everything again tomorrow. Christ, i never want to build a computer again. 1200 quids worth of hassle.

>_<

If you were able to install windows, then I'd have thought it'd be safe to assume that the slipstream drivers worked fine...

It sounds very wierd that it worked initially but wont now tbh. Triple check nothing has come loose and start up with a single optical drive. If you can, try another IDE cable to rule that out.

I know it'll probably feel like its the worst thing at the moment (i ran into several problems on my first build...) but once its up and running, it'll be awesome :D

I would strip all the components out and reseat them all, installing only one of the CD drives [make sure the one set to master], set the Boot Order up CD > HDD then reboot, and let it kick in to Windoze Setup.

noxidjkram@hotm said:
IIRC, when it gets to partitioning the drive, it wont be able to see it... not 100% on that tho...

AFAIK, with SATA drives you always need the drivers (may have changed lately i suppose), this is because of non-standard SATA chipsets that manufacturers use that windows doesn't have the drivers for. I've ALWAYS needed them anyway.

Pop em on a floppy and F6 it as windows starts to load (almost straight away), that way you cant go wrong.

M
I've NEVER used/needed an aftermarket driver for installing windows on a SATA drive. Only used a limited, but quite different, range of setups.

Windows 2000/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Spinpoint
Windows XP/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Spinpoint
Windows 2000/Asus MVP/Spinpoint
Windows XP/Asus MVP/Spinpoint
Windows 2000/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Maxtor
Windows XP/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Maxtor
Windows 2000/Abit Intel 945 board/Maxtor

NONE of the above needed an aftermarket driver.

BigDom said:
I've NEVER used/needed an aftermarket driver for installing windows on a SATA drive. Only used a limited, but quite different, range of setups.

Windows 2000/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Spinpoint
Windows XP/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Spinpoint
Windows 2000/Asus MVP/Spinpoint
Windows XP/Asus MVP/Spinpoint
Windows 2000/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Maxtor
Windows XP/Abit Fata1ty NF4/Maxtor
Windows 2000/Abit Intel 945 board/Maxtor

NONE of the above needed an aftermarket driver.

Looks like i'm outta date :D - my latest mobo install was an NF3 as per sig.

M

Damnit, nope.

The RAM was fine, but i refitted it anyway. Still no joy. I rechecked the IDE cables and tried using only one dvd-rom drive, but still it won't let me boot from CD. I'm all out of ideas.

Only thing left is the DVD itself? Does failing a Windows installation corrupt the data on the disc or something? Because if not i'm completely screwed.

>_<

so to recap your system wont let you into bios and crashes at the windows screen....

when you first boot up, have u tried pressing f8 or delete to see if it will let you enter into the bios?

if you have cleared the CMOS and reseated all components im slowly running out of ideas....

what spec is your system? part manufacturers etc?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
RAM: OCZ 2Gb PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series
GFX: PowerColor ATi Radeon X1900XTX
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 250Gb SATA2
Mobo: DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
PSU: Tagan 530W
DVD: Pioneer DVR-111DBK DVD-RW Dual Layer ReWriter

I turn it on, and the LanParty nF4 logo comes up (i press del if i want to get into the BIOS), but then it goes to the booting sequence. Says the CMOS is ok, and it then boots from CD. It says "Press any key to boot from CD..." but even though i press the keys it doesn't boot. After about 10 seconds it tries to boot from HDD, and then it stops there.

If there is no CD in the drive then it skips that part. Resetting the CMOS removes the LanParty logo, obviously.

Disconnect the hdd....

Go into BIOS and load defaults...and also set it once again to boot from CD..also disable anything to do with SATA in the bios after loading defaults etc...

Sounds like the bios settings are confusing the boot sequence therefore I think it may just be best to disconnect the hdd altogether...

Also I noticed you experienced troubles setting up SATA therefore by disconnecting the hdd and disabling anything to do with it in the BIOS may just let you boot from CD....

Perhaps it is trying to boot from cd but then the SATA kicks in etc....

Back
Top Bottom