Newbie questions about speakers, wireless and what product to buy.

ElT

ElT

Associate
I need a new speaker for playing music from my phone and laptop. I want good quality. I know that's subjective and there might be people who's idea of "good quality" is some >£1000 speaker set up. I just want to be able to find something that doesn't boost the bass like an idiot and I can actually hear the high notes. I listened to what I think was a SONOS Five in Curry's (least ways it was definitely SONOS and looked very much like it). That sounded nice. Slightly above my intended price range, though.

Where I'm coming a cropper is I can't figure out if the SONOS range actually lets me connect my phone and laptop by BlueTooth. Looks like only the smaller portable ones do. I don't know much about this stuff. Can I connect my phone to a SONOS speaker via my Phone or Laptop's WiFi, i.e. NOT a home network. I'll often be not at home. Plugging the thing in is fine, I don't need a battery. But I need something that my phone and laptop can connect to directly. Do they support NFC? I also heard that streaming from the phone/laptop via BlueTooth was actually bad for sound quality because it gets compressed.

I think the answers to the above about connecting to Sonos are no so if so, can anyone recommend a speaker in the £200+ region (less is fine, but I can hit the £200 mark if the quality is better). I looked at Bose stuff but the two larger speakers are both showing as discontinued and all that they have is smaller drum shaped things which just seems weird to me. But hey - maybe they're better than they look.

Use case is music and sometimes radio. Preferably with no apps involved in connecting my phone and laptop to it. I'm sick of crappy little cylinders that sound fuzzy and especially anything that has "Super/Mega/Extra/Boosted/ Bass" as one of its headline features. I am so sick of everything sounding like a Michael Bay trailer.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

ElT

ElT

Associate
OP
Stick with wired, and get regular hifi components. Your budget is too low.
Something like Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 with a amplifier.

Sonos is expensive and very limited.
Ah, maybe I posted in the wrong forum but I'm not looking for separate units for a permanent(ish) installation. I need something I can put in a bag and carry to a new location. It's fine to require a power outlet - not looking for something battery powered necessarily - but it needs to be good quality and something I can play directly from my phone or laptop. That's where I'm running into trouble The Sonos stuff doesn't seem to work like that but I could be wrong. So I need to find a good speaker that can receive BlueTooth or someone needs to tell me if you can do it with direct WiFi. NFC or some other method. I heard BlueTooth is actually bad for sound quality anyway, is that true?

I think this is correct, just the Roam or Move range allow direct Bluetooth playback.
Thanks. That's how it was looking to me. So Sonos is off the menu, I guess. You can't use direct WiFi from a phone or laptop, can you? What I want is to, e.g. fire up Spotify or other music app and just have the speaker show up as a normal sound device on my laptop / phone.

ElT

ElT

Associate
OP
If your looking to put something in your bag and take with you, you aren't going to get amazing sound especially if connecting via Bluetooth etc. You will get good sound for sure, personally I've found hardly any difference between the cheaper sets and the higher value sets of similar speaker size.

I suppose it really depends on what you class as portable, for me it's something that I can pop in a backpack with everything else.
I'm talking something around the size of the Sonos Five. I can put that in a sports bag. It's not the size so much as set-up. I want to plug something in and I want to stream output directly from my laptop or my phone.

ElT

ElT

Associate
OP
Sony srs xg300 got good reviews when I was buying recently. Denon do a home range too, probably larger, but quite expensive iirc.

I ended up with a cheap Chinese thing, and for portabality use, it's been great.
Thanks. Looking at both now. The XG300 is one of those cylindrical ones with ugly neon lights on the side which is synonymous in my mind with crap audio. And advertises "Mega Bass". But at £200 it probably sounds fine. Plus it doesn't appear to have a built in mic which is a MAJOR plus and hard to find these days. Still hate those neon lights, though.

Checking out the Denon range they do have mics built in but the reviews are stellar and they don't look like I'm trying to be a 90's skateboarder. Checking out the Denon Home 150 and Denon Home 250 (£179 and £369 respectively). Latter is above my intended budget but looks good.

Cheers. About my other question - is BlueTooth bad for audio quality?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom