Newbie runner

Soldato
Anybody got any tips for building up to a 10k run in Jan?

I used to run when I boxed about 15 years ago... Thankfully not a fat man now, just your usual love handles and little titties coming haha.

Would you say I should be doing light jogging > when tired sprint for 30seconds > walk for 30seconds > Light Jog> Repeat?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Go for lots of small runs, then build up.

10k is actually not that far once you get in to regular runs :)

Caporegime
Light jogging with short walking breaks when needed, as above look at running frequently rather than killing yourself over 1 run. Run relaxed, conversational pace that feels fun. Most important is to enjoy it.

Run fitness comes from consistency and volume of easy runs that you recover from. Only as you get fitter does faster sprints add anything significant

Man of Honour
Go for lots of small runs, then build up.

10k is actually not that far once you get in to regular runs :)

This for sure and get the first few 5k runs out of the way and 10K isn't that far behind.

Do you have a any local park runs? Whilst they are quite time consuming they are quite useful merely for the mixed ability and encouragement.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just over a month ago I couldn't run 2.5 miles without needing to walk for brief moments. I did that 2.5 miles a couple times then added a bit on to about 3.2 miles, after 2.5 weeks I think I just slowed myself down and doubled that route which is over 10k and have been doing that since, about twice a week.

A couple weeks ago I ran the Accrington 10k, my first race and did it in 56:22. So it's possible if I can do it in a month (for reference I weigh about 12st and I'm 5'11").

Seeing as the target is distance not speed, focus on pushing the distance not the speed. Don't be afraid to go slow or even walk in parts. Slow over distance > than fast over short distance. It doesn't get easier as such, but once you can do a route without walking you will then slowly get faster.

Man of Honour
Good advice there from Dup..

The only thing I would add is to get decent trainers that are best for you. Get yourself some personally "made to measure" insteps. You may find you have one leg sorter than the other or out of line. While that sounds daft, a majority of people do and it might be only a the slightest of differences but speaking from experience, it can cause long term damage.

Man of Honour
Programmes like the Couch to 5km (NHS version) would give you a decent starting point and structure to follow. What you're describing in the initial post is almost like a Fartlek which is at a basic level intermittent training but that would be usually jog-walk-jog and slowly increasing the length of the jogs in comparison to the walking, the sprinting isn't adding anything much apart from possibly increasing your risk of injury.

Associate
It is astonishing how quickly the human body adapts to exercise. I, too had a lay off for a bit but maintained "2-mile-run fitness" or just about with the odd 10sec walk. But any more and I'd puff and pant. Within a month I was back up to 10k's. I am at 58 mins for 10K now (at 100kg). My PB was 38 mins when I was younger. I am aiming for 45 mins. I'll need to be 20kg lighter to do that.
It'll be the same for you, OP.

Back
Top Bottom