Newbie VHS to PC Question

Associate
Hi Guys

I am looking to transfer some old VHS tapes to digital, I have a limited budget to purchase the relevant kit and wonder if someone might recommended from Amazon the best and more importantly, easiest kit to use? I am reasonably tech savy, but not with the kit needed for this!
My VHS has a scart output and my all in one PC just a USB input....

Any advice on kit and methodology would be grateful welcomed

Many thanks
David

Associate
The cheapest method is one of those USB dongles. I've not used one personally as I have a dedicated card in the computer for doing that sort of thing along with a decent VHS player which processes the video prior to capturing it. I have read that the USB dongles can go out of sync with audio after a while, but I dont know if thats the case with all of them. Worth reading the reviews on amazon.

Does your VHS have an s-video out ? that can typically carry a slightly better picture quality and the USB dongles generally have a plug for them. If only scart, then get a scart to rca cable ... and plug the yellow, red and white into the USB dongle. ( Watch for male / female connections etc )

There are a few points to remember...
  • Its VHS, so compared to modern video standards, the quality is going to be low ... both in terms of resolution and colour quality. There is no point capturing VHS at anything like HD resolutions ... its a waste of time. Capture at PAL resolution and be done ... or at most 720p.
  • The better your player, the better the final result. Unless the player has what's called a TBC built in, then expect a little bit of shimmy / wobble down vertical edges on the picture.

A quick look on amazon shows up lots of them. I personally would go with one which has lots and lots of reviews, even if it were a few pounds more. Again, read the reviews as they often identify both issues and relevant fixes to pitfalls.

Method / Tips

All depends on what you're trying to record. For me, it was 3hr long tapes. My software allowed me to specify recording time in advance. So I would fast forward the tape to the end of the footage and note the length, then wind it back and set the record time, start recording and walk away and let it do its thing.

I didn't let the capture software make any adjustments to picture quality as I knew i was going to use it in a video editor to clean up and do better adjustments.

The Tapes

Old tapes can be frail, so I would generally fast forward all the way through the tape to make sure it unrolls the full length.

Sometimes this would snap the tape. To fix it, I would cut and splice the tape back together using plain old sellotape cut to the right size. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to do this.

Sellotape is not the best tape you use as it degrades the tape itself over time ... but considering that you are normally capturing this once to get it into a more archival format and probably ditch the old tape, it works well enough for the tape to play through.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to use something called a Dazzle back in the day, when I was an IT Tech and VHS players were on the way out, teachers wanted things digitised. I'm sure the experience will have improved since then. Or possibly not...

Associate
I'm sure the experience will have improved since then. Or possibly not...

it’s really not …. If anything it’s worse! Those devices are hard to get and don’t get updated for modern OSs .

last thing, I’ve just captured footage from an old camcorder. I set the capture format to mpeg2, which is the old original format for dvd, which was designed for video quality at the time like vhs. It might use a bit more space but it handles the interlaced video better according to some.
(You can deinterlace later in software)

Associate
I've been doing this for many years and I still do it now for my YouTube channel I have spent thousands of pounds in the past on numerous devices from AGP capture cards, USB devices & TBC devices, though as time's gone by I got fed up of using computers and keeping the devices running after 30 or so years is hard to do.

I ended up just using several Lite-On HD-A740/A760GX machines connected to several Panasonic & JVC s-vhs players I record in HQ mode and once I have finished doing my recordings I remove the hard drive from the machine I am using attach it to a PC and copy the recorded files over and go from there, it's been much less time consuming and less money spent doing it this way and the end results are good enough for me.

Take a look at some of my recordings done on these machines, the quality on YouTube doesn't actually show the full quality of the recordings they are much better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB0QSh1DuWmVYszF9qllrNA

@David

If you only have a few tapes that need recording I can do them for you free of charge you just pay for the postage both ways and I would be happy to do them for you. I actually did some a few years back for another member on these forums will leave it up to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom