Newcastle Stag Do advice

Soldato
Hey all :)

Planning my best mates stag do for April next year and Newcastle is the chosen location.

I’ve never been so have some questions and after any advice.

• Where would be the best area to stay? Close to nightlife and activities is essential as it’s a large group (20 people) so don’t want to rely on taxis and public transport
  • What areas contain the best night life?
  • Any interesting activities you’d recommend?
  • Any particular bars/nightclubs you’d recommend going to or avoiding?
Any other hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Associate
I can give a little bit of advice as I too planned a stag do to Newcastle in August. There were 12 of us and we stayed here with us split across two apartments, 6 in each. The area we spent most of the time in for the nightlife was called 'Bigg Market' and there were lots of bars down this road including an Irish bar with live music and a Bier Keller which was a really good atmosphere but be prepared for lots of stag/hen parties. For activities, we did go karts at Team Sport, this was about a 10 minute taxi ride but definitely worth it.

Associate
Sorry I can't help with places to stay, but plenty of places to enjoy yourself. Although years since I went "Up the toon" as anywhere else theres real ale places, of which I can advise, Westgate Rd, the Bodega with its fab glass ceiling thats been in place since place was built more than a hundred years ago, great beers. Then through Chinatown on Stowell St to the Newcastle Arms in Gallowgate beside the football ground and after those two across into City Centre itself, just a short walk into Newgate Street turn right or turn left plenty decent bars. the Gate to your right, theres more little real ale bars to the left up Percy St. (As you can tell I'm into the real ale side of things but a lager filled night ! ;):p

Soldato
Look at Lane 7, it's a 'posh' bowling alley, pool, mini golf, remote control cars and decent food and drink place.

But, it's not a massive city, find somewhere in the city centre to stay and you're not far from anywhere.

If you want a change of pace for day drinking, the Free Trade Inn is nice pub with views down the Tyne with plenty of other real ale places and Ghetto Golf nearby.

If you fancy hopping on the metro for half an hour you can get to the coast from the city centre, Tynemouth is more the stag do location rather than Whitley Bay these days though.

Soldato
OP
How many of your crew are seasoned booze hounds? Newcastle is an unforgiving place.

Me and the stag should be fine, but he has recently had a baby so might be off his game! :p

I can give a little bit of advice as I too planned a stag do to Newcastle in August. There were 12 of us and we stayed here with us split across two apartments, 6 in each. The area we spent most of the time in for the nightlife was called 'Bigg Market' and there were lots of bars down this road including an Irish bar with live music and a Bier Keller which was a really good atmosphere but be prepared for lots of stag/hen parties. For activities, we did go karts at Team Sport, this was about a 10 minute taxi ride but definitely worth it.

Thanks for the link and info! :)

Sorry I can't help with places to stay, but plenty of places to enjoy yourself. Although years since I went "Up the toon" as anywhere else theres real ale places, of which I can advise, Westgate Rd, the Bodega with its fab glass ceiling thats been in place since place was built more than a hundred years ago, great beers. Then through Chinatown on Stowell St to the Newcastle Arms in Gallowgate beside the football ground and after those two across into City Centre itself, just a short walk into Newgate Street turn right or turn left plenty decent bars. the Gate to your right, theres more little real ale bars to the left up Percy St. (As you can tell I'm into the real ale side of things but a lager filled night ! ;):p

If it all gets too much I might sneak away and explore these, thanks for the reply! :D

Save your money and stay home

What insightful and helpful input! :)

Save your money, stay home and don't get married :)

I tried to convince him, I really did...

Look at Lane 7, it's a 'posh' bowling alley, pool, mini golf, remote control cars and decent food and drink place.

But, it's not a massive city, find somewhere in the city centre to stay and you're not far from anywhere.

If you want a change of pace for day drinking, the Free Trade Inn is nice pub with views down the Tyne with plenty of other real ale places and Ghetto Golf nearby.

If you fancy hopping on the metro for half an hour you can get to the coast from the city centre, Tynemouth is more the stag do location rather than Whitley Bay these days though.

Lane 7 sounds like a perfect afternoon activity, thanks for the info!

Check Airbnb out for nuts locations. In Manchester we stayed in an abandoned mental asylum cum Church.

That sounds....sticky....

Did have a look on Airbnb but seems to be very limited options, so we may just end up in a budget hotel to be honest!

Soldato
It’s been a while since I’ve been out around Newcastle but the usual haunts are Biggmarket , the quayside , close to the train station and the area around the Gate. Jesmond is or used to be a good area to stay

Soldato
Biggmarket is your more rough and ready area for drinking.
The Gate falls in to the same as the above.
The Diamond strip is Collingwood Street/Mosely Street is your Geordie Shore kind of area.
Grey Street is just off the above is slightly nicer, more upmarket.
Quayside is a bit more upmarket as is Jesmond but that more Studenty.

For where to stay there are cheap hotels like Motel 1 and Roomz right the mix of all it. Roomz is just behind the train station pretty much next to the Diamond Strip, Motel 1 is between Bigg Market and Grey Street. There's a Hilton next to the station and the usual airbnb apt on the Quayside. Motel 1 is ok for cheap place to sleep, I used it when we have our works xmas parties.

For suggestions like Lane 7 (it's nice here), I can also vouch that Ghetto Golf is a good mix of drinking and whack mini golf. There is also a shooting/drinking place next to it but I'm not sure what exactly that's all about. People like going to the Botanist which is in the dead centre, it's your run of the mill instagram friendly place, as is the alchemist and Leila Lilly's if t hat's your thing...

I'm not sure if they do it in April but there used to be a boat on the Tyne that goes up/down the river that stag doo's used to like when I lived down there.

Soldato
Don’t stay at Premier Inn in Quayside. Was there three years ago. It’s right by the Tyne Bridge where kittiwakes roost, do their business - pavements are slippy with their droppings and smells awful. Plus squawk all the time. Plus have to dodge the low flying ones and them do droppings.

Unsure of the PI now. I stayed there when it’s was hot (28c). No air con in my room, only some poxy 6 inch fan which did Jack ****. I could open the window but it increased the kittiwakes’ squawking…… I did get my money back.

Back
Top Bottom