Newly Installed Cooker Hood Stopped Working

Associate
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests, we installed a new Samsung NK36C5070DS/UR cooker hood. It worked fine on the evening it was installed. The next day however, when I powered it on the extractor tried to get to first speed but after two attempts it settled on crawling speeds. Similar to what you would expect in limp mode in a car. This was the case regardless of higher speeds being selected. There was also a slight burning but it could be the new appliance thing. I raised it with Samsung and they have offered a replacement.

I talked to the electrician who installed it, and he mentioned that we try switching it off and on. After doing this the Cooker Hood doesn't even power on. The installer is very confident in his work (I am too) and said there was no issue with the connections, but even the best make mistakes and there could be that 1% chance there was something obvious that was not connected properly.

My gripe is with Samsung unable to cover the removal of the faulty appliance and cover the costs of the installation of the replacement. From the minimal information what I read online, it appears that the supplier is not liable for the aforementioned costs. I could have paid little bit extra and got Samsung to install it, but since they did not provide that service I had to go Third party. It is annoying that due to no fault of ours we have to bear the additional burden.

Could you guys help with any possible way to get through this. Worst case scenario, I just get over it and bear the hit of installation.

Thanks for looking into this.

Soldato
there is no way to avoid installation costs unfortunately. Annoying but not the most costly thing in the world.

FWIW its pretty easy to install one yourself, in our last house about 3 weeks before we sold the house ours packed up so I found a 2nd hand replacement on facebook and fitted it.

Associate
OP
there is no way to avoid installation costs unfortunately. Annoying but not the most costly thing in the world.

FWIW its pretty easy to install one yourself, in our last house about 3 weeks before we sold the house ours packed up so I found a 2nd hand replacement on facebook and fitted it.
It's the wiring bit I am not confident with. The electrician has used a tape to combine the connection. The wire supplied with the appliance appears to be US spec for some odd reason. I mean its not plug and play from the looks of it.

Soldato
It's the wiring bit I am not confident with. The electrician has used a tape to combine the connection. The wire supplied with the appliance appears to be US spec for some odd reason. I mean its not plug and play from the looks of it.
I think the tape is more likely wrapped around the connection, if he has used tape to actually make the connection that is VERY much NOT safe.

Associate
They've probably just used terminal block and them wrapped it in tape to keep it neat/together.

It's not *that* dangerous, but I would expect better than that from a professional honestly. A proper plastic box is very cheap, or they would have just stripped the cord end and wired the plug directly like was mentioned previously, or used wagos.

EDIT: As for the problem, I'd probably put money one of the terminal block connections not being fully tight. Would explain the behaviour and now non function.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not an electrician but I do know that US uses 120V whereas the UK is 240V. If you have been supplied a US-spec cooker hood with a US spec motor, maybe it is being overloaded with voltage? It might be worth investigating.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Wow, I’m not electrician but I know better than to consider that a job well done.
I can see more tape on another cable too.

Back
Top Bottom