Newly Installed Cooker Hood Stopped Working

Soldato
The black wire comes from the extractor and the white is the original one in place to which it has been connected via some plastic connectors. The grey wire is the connection that has always been there that goes into the socket.

I found him via Facebook group for the town we live in. We had posted there for recommendations.

I did ask for qualification which he said he has had but I had to be polite and not ask too many details. To be fair he was very friendly and left the place relatively clean.

It's a bodge job, there's no way you wire a cooker hood like that.

Next time, I would try and go for a small company that has a number of people working for it, then you know they are likely to be qualified! Take a look at their website, see how good it is. Ask local estate agents for recommendations etc etc. I would improve your way of assessing electricians. Learn what the electrical qualifications are, and ask them how they got qualified if necessary.

A cooker hood would also often not be plugged in, but have a permanent electrical connection. I'm not sure what is best practice for cooker hoods, but I don't think it's a plug connection. I would establish what the best practice is.

Soldato
I did ask for qualification which he said he has had but I had to be polite and not ask too many details. To be fair he was very friendly and left the place relatively clean.

I know it can be difficult to, but don't be afraid to ask questions, as somebody good will not mind telling you the answer!

Don
A cooker hood would also often not be plugged in, but have a permanent electrical connection. I'm not sure what is best practice for cooker hoods, but I don't think it's a plug connection. I would establish what the best practice is.
They're often plugged in, but the socket is actually mounted behind the unit or above it so it's out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom