• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Next logical upgrade step from a [email protected]?

Associate
Ok so I'm thinking about upgrading my Mobo, CPU and ram either end of this year or early next year and was wondering if Skylake-E or Coffelake would be a nice boost in performance for me?

I'm looking to spend about a £1-1.2K when the right platform appears... and will probably want to put the OS on an M.2 SSD and keep my Sata SSD's for data.

I am still finding my [email protected] to be a solid performer in games, but would like to see a boost to minimum framerates in Battlefield 1, if thats even possible with the way things stand with lack of CPU's advances at present I dont know...

So what do you guys think, is it nearly time to upgrade or would I be better of saving for Cannonlake next year? I dont want to upgrade for the sake of it if Im not likely to see a solid boost, the new build has to last me a long time!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm going to upgrade from a 4770l @ 4.8ghz to Ryzen in June as my workload highly favours multithreading and I want some new features (m.2 and usb 3.1).

Another think that is atrracting me to the platform is if Ryzen 2 is much better, I can just drop in a new CPU without having to change anything else - no new mobo.

Associate
OP
I'm going to upgrade from a 4770l @ 4.8ghz to Ryzen in June as my workload highly favours multithreading and I want some new features (m.2 and usb 3.1).

Another think that is atrracting me to the platform is if Ryzen 2 is much better, I can just drop in a new CPU without having to change anything else - no new mobo.

Yes I saw Ryzen is awesome in multithreaded desktop Apps, but I only game, well one game LOL... and some digital art with massive file sizes... so I dont think AMD's platform is for me

Soldato
Save yourself the cash guys and hold off for now. Upgrading from any i7 unless it's pre sandy bridge would be a lot of money for little benefit. There's no way I would ditch a 4.8GHz 4770k for Ryzen.

M.2 would be nice but why not raid a couple of SSD's in stripe if you want a bit of extra read/write performance.

Associate
OP
Save yourself the cash guys and hold off for now. Upgrading from any i7 unless it's pre sandy bridge would be a lot of money for little benefit. There's no way I would ditch a 4.8GHz 4770k for Ryzen.

M.2 would be nice but why not raid a couple of SSD's in stripe if you want a bit of extra read/write performance.

OK, im going to follow ya'll advice and wait for Cannonlake :D

Soldato
Lol boring advice I know, but for the price, especially with the current cost of DDR4 it'll cost you a fair bit for no noticeable difference. Your 4770k is good for a few years yet :) I'm still rocking a 3770k with no plans to upgrade until I absolutely need to.

Associate
OP
Lol boring advice I know, but for the price, especially with the current cost of DDR4 it'll cost you a fair bit for no noticeable difference. Your 4770k is good for a few years yet :) I'm still rocking a 3770k with no plans to upgrade until I absolutely need to.

It's quite exciting advice really, because it means my savings are safe till next year lol!

It's amazing just how well these chips of ours still run, I've had incredible value for money out of my Haswell rig and it's still performing as well as it ever has.

Soldato
Lol treat yourself to a holiday instead man and save the rest :)

Yeah, if motherboard manufacturers could continue making boards with older sockets Intel would be up **** creek without a paddle lol. Good to hear it's still holding up as good as new.

If you're really wanting to upgrade something just for the change, why not check out some lighting or a new case :) you've maybe already done that but there's always aesthetic stuff you can work on to keep you satisfied for a while longer.

Soldato
Yeah further to what I said it gives you time to see if anything tangible comes from games using more cores/threads and which platform is best.

Any reason it's a straight no with Ryzen at all?

And if nothing improves CPU wise by then you will have cash for a newer GPU or SSD's or similar.

Associate
Coffeelake is just Skylake/Kabylake again, but up to 6 cores. And you'll need a new Mobo for it anyway.

You don't really have an obvious choice.

If all you do is gaming, you should almost certainly wait till Cannonlake and Zen+

Soldato
The 6 cores clocked on x299 would be next. That's unless you want to gamble with zen+ and buy into the platform now. The 1600x out soon will make x299 look very expensive I think.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

But holding off isn't new and shiny!

Back
Top Bottom