• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Next logical upgrade step from a [email protected]?

Associate
OP
Any reason it's a straight no with Ryzen at all?

As far as I can see, it offers little to nothing in the way of gaming improvment over my trusty 4770K. Also it just doesnt feel like the right long-term investment for me looking to the future...

The 6 cores clocked on x299 would be next. That's unless you want to gamble with zen+ and buy into the platform now. The 1600x out soon will make x299 look very expensive I think.

Not so worried about the price of the platform, more the longevity! Does anyone know if Battlefield 1 would use more than 4 cores on a Skylake-E system? or is it outright speed as find in the high-end mainstream parts it favours?

Soldato
As far as I can see, it offers little to nothing in the way of gaming improvment over my trusty 4770K. Also it just doesnt feel like the right long-term investment for me looking to the future...

No worries, just seemed odd to dismiss it straight away especially as the AM4 socket will be supported for 5 years unlike that from Intel in which the long term investment should really go with AMD.

As saying though there really is no reason to do CPU upgrade for at least a year and probably two in honesty where we should have seen IceLake drop with the new 10nm or even TigerLake where it should have matured.

Soldato
M.2 would be nice but why not raid a couple of SSD's in stripe if you want a bit of extra read/write performance.

even with M.2 NVME and SSD in raid 5 you hardly notice the performance difference in gaming or working environment. OK games will load that bit faster and large video/photo edits will load faster but everything in between which is 99% of the time is not affected by the massive read and write performance gain.

I am not planning on changing my 4770k & Z97 chipset platform for ages (another 5 years maybe even longer)...until the software I have can fully implement the 8 core+ performances and take advantage of all the advances.

Associate
The 6 cores clocked on x299 would be next. That's unless you want to gamble with zen+ and buy into the platform now. The 1600x out soon will make x299 look very expensive I think.

I think if all OP does is gaming they should wait till Zen+ actually drops, rather than buying Zen and a board now.

One thing we know is current Zen LOVES RAM speed, and it remains to be seen how far the current boards can take RAM through BIOS/microcode updates.

It'll probably be a better package to buy Zen+ and a new board at the time (albeit the same socket etc. but new/refined chipset?) in order to guarantee ultra-fast RAM support, and possibly more features too.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
There will be a need for new AM4 mobos at cpu upgrade time at some point as PCIe v4.0 will be coming as well as other things so whilst the old AM4 mobos will support new chips there could be cases where either they won't support all the new features or will run at a slower speed.

I could even envisage them not working if the chip demands a feature the chipset cannot handle but I might expect the chip to detect the old chipset and disable that feature and run in a backwards compatible way.

Soldato
There will be a need for new AM4 mobos at cpu upgrade time at some point as PCIe v4.0 will be coming as well as other things so whilst the old AM4 mobos will support new chips there could be cases where either they won't support all the new features or will run at a slower speed.

I could even envisage them not working if the chip demands a feature the chipset cannot handle but I might expect the chip to detect the old chipset and disable that feature and run in a backwards compatible way.

Are the AMD Ryzen not SoC though so they don't have that issue as such? Yes you would need a new mobo for PCIe 4.0 but that looks like it is being delayed again. However as no upgrade is really needed I don't think it an issue.

If you was going from the i7-920 or similar then I could see going AM4 now and just upgrading to Ryzen+ just for the speed bump expected.

Back
Top Bottom