NeXTCube

Soldato
I finally decided tick off a machine i've had on my retro-collecting wish list for years and years and years - a NeXTcube. The spec is 68040 25Mhz, 16MB. I just need a few items to hook it up to an lcd as i dont have the accompanying megapixel crt.

There's no room in the retro loft for the noisy stuff, so here it is sitting with the other big, daft, loud, hot box at the top of the loft stairs on the landing. Extension cables make them still both usable though!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got a new badge on the way and I'll touch up the paint.

The main thing coming from the US is a NU_IO Soundbox. This is a modern replacement for the original Soundbox. It acts as a hub which you plug the keyboard into (the mouse plugs into the keyboard). However, an OG Soundbox cannot be used to connect to an LCD, so that's what the NU_IO will allow.

NU_IO.jpg

Soldato
OP
@Armageus the white slot is used for expanding the DSP’s ram. The DSP 56001 has 24k but I believe it can be expanded with a custom 576k simm

dsp-sram-simm.jpg

The black connector is where the mobo connects to the NextBus slot on the machines backplane. NextBus was a variation on NuBus.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought this post on Reddit summed the NeXTcube up quite nicely

“Display Postscript (resolution/media independence), multimedia email, built in ethernet and networking, DSP co-processor (Motorola 56K), the (comparatively cheap) laser printer using the cube/slab as the RIP (400DPI, fast (proprietary high speed serial link) and true WYSIWYG thanks to the native Postscript implementation), the app dock, Interface Builder, remote execution, fat binaries... and then just the whole idea that a computer itself could be a beautiful machine as well as what you saw on the screen. Compare NeXTStep's GUI to any of its contemporaries to get a feel for exactly how much of a leap ahead the rest it truly was”

Obviously it had a stratospheric price tag in order to get all this!

id used Next machines to develop both Doom and Quake. John Carmack had this to say:

“I have no regrets at all about developing Doom on a NeXT!

I bought our first NeXT (a ColorStation) out of personal interest. Jason Blochowiak had talked to me about the advantages of Unix-based systems from his time in college and I was interested in seeing what Steve Jobs’ next big thing was. It is funny to look back; I can remember honestly wondering what the advantages of a real multi-process development environment would be over the DOS and older Apple environments that we were using. Actually, using the NeXT was an eye-opener, and it was quickly clear to me that it had a lot of tangible advantages for us, so we moved everything but pixel art (which was still done in Deluxe Paint on DOS) over. Using Interface Builder for our game editors was a NeXT unique advantage, but most Unix systems would have provided similar general purpose software development advantages (the debugger wasn’t nearly as good as Turbo Debugger 386, though!) Kevin Cloud even did our game manuals, starting with Wolfenstein 3D, in Framemaker on a NeXT.

This was all in the context of DOS or Windows 3.x; it was revolutionary to have a computer system that didn’t crash all the time. By the time Quake 2 came around, Windows NT was in a similar didn’t-crash-all-the-time state; it had hardware accelerated OpenGL, and Visual Studio was getting really good, so I didn’t feel too bad about moving over to it. At that transition point I did evaluate most of the other Unix workstations and didn’t find a strong enough reason not to go with Microsoft for our desktop systems.

Over the entire course of Doom and Quake 1’s development we probably spent $100,000 on NeXT computers, which isn’t much at all in the larger scheme of development. We later spent more than that on Unix SMP server systems (first a quad Alpha, then an eventually 16-way SGI system) to run the time consuming lighting and visibility calculations for the Quake series. I remember one year looking at the Top 500 supercomputer list and thinking that if we had expanded our SGI to 32 processors, we would have just snuck in at the bottom.“

Don
@Armageus the white slot is used for expanding the DSP’s ram. The DSP 56001 has 96k but I believe it can be expanded with a custom 576k simm
Thanks for that - just reading up about that over here: https://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/index.php?topic=876.0

The black connector is where the mobo connects to the NextBus slot on the machines backplane. NextBus was a variation on NuBus.
I actually meant the 3 black ribbon cable headers below the DSP simm slot - what are these for? Floppy? Hard Drive?

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, sorry. I suspect those are for MO drive (the original cube with 030 mobo shipped with a magneto-optical drive rather than hdd) and floppy. My machine is scsi only - the left-most connector is scsi.

Last edited:
Associate
I broke one of these back in the 90s.

Someone at work bought one 2nd hand. He asked me if I could switch the mouse buttons (in the OS). I managed to kill all mouse button input.

He ended up having to reinstall the OS...

Soldato
OP
The replacement soundbox arrived, housed in a smart 3d printed case, as did a new badge to replace the knackered one on the front of the box. With this nu_io in situ I managed to boot the machine for the first time. The HDD is a noisy 400MB scsi seagate with a vanilla NeXTSTEP 3.3 install. Sadly there was nothing else interesting on it, so I swapped it out for a freshly set up ZuluSCSI. I then set about configuring the network and installing Doom, because why not.

Soldato
OP
More nextcube stuff is on the way. First is a new 96K DSP ram module. These have been unobtainable for decades so it’s great to see a guy in France has produced new simms. It’ll supplement the chip’s internal 24K.

I also ordered 4x 4MB simms to take the machine’s system ram from 16 to 32MB.

Finally, a new case badge has arrived, looks a lot smarter than the faded, chipped original

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom