Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
I've just been reading the Anandtech review - I'm surprised at the screen and battery life results given some of the comments by owners online.

Not a bad all rounder. Only let down appears to be the throttling if you're a heavy gamer.

Soldato
I'm finding my battery life not so bad. It had around 3hrs 45mins screen on time and still 33% remaining yesterday. I think I could get it fairly close to the 5hr mark.

Man of Honour
Anyone else have a hard time picking the 5x over the 6P? I do want stock Android as had it with the Nexus 5 for the past few years. I do like the sound of burst mode and the video FPS but the phone is a lot bigger than the 5x.

The 6P is a better phone, but because of the size it was a no brainer for me to go for the 5x. Though that said the 5x is still big.

Soldato
Anyone else have a hard time picking the 5x over the 6P? I do want stock Android as had it with the Nexus 5 for the past few years. I do like the sound of burst mode and the video FPS but the phone is a lot bigger than the 5x.

If your worry is holding the 6P then it is tricky one-handed, but a case does wonders, as the raised-sides stop your finger from activating the side of the screen, but obviously that's only helpful if you're happy to cover up the beauty. Despite obviously making the phone bigger it doesn't actually make the phone feel larger.

I'm alternating between case and no case, but for the most part I'm trying to keep it naked. I got the Spigen "Rugged Armor Ultimate Protection" one that was £2 on Amazon recently, but my cheap clear Spigen was dispatched yesterday, which might be a happy medium.

Soldato
The battery on my Nexus 4 is dying a slow and painful death, struggle to get through a working day without having to charge it.

I'm considering upgrading to the 5X. How much of an upgrade will it be other than having a battery that lasts?

Soldato
The battery on my Nexus 4 is dying a slow and painful death, struggle to get through a working day without having to charge it.

I'm considering upgrading to the 5X. How much of an upgrade will it be other than having a battery that lasts?

I would imagine it would be a fantastic upgrade to a Nexus 4. Is there a Carphone warehouse you can pop into to play about with it?

Soldato
I'm starting to experience pretty poor battery life now.

I barely use the phone and lucky to get 24 hours out of before the phone needs recharging.

E-mails just are not coming through on both gmail and hotmail accounts. Nothing has changed and this worked perfectly on my Nexus 4

There's also quite a delay in whatsapp/messenger messages coming through too, unless the phone screen is on all the time.

Soldato
Can't comment on the other problems but I don't get 24 hours out of my battery either. I don't consider this a problem though as I don't think I've ever got 24 hours on a smartphone.

Soldato
One thing I noticed yesterday was that the notification LED is turned off by default, I'm sure most of you have enabled it already but for anyone like me that hadn't seen it it is under Settings -> Sound & Notification ->Pulse notification light.

Lightflow is 10p on Google Play too at the moment.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I've recently got the 5x and have really poor/intermittent 3g/4g signal on Three. As far as I know there is no network issues and it worked previously in this area on my nexus 5 really well.

Is there anything I can do? Could there be any issues with the new nano sim that might effect signal strength?

Im running MDB08L with baseband M8994f-2.6.28.0.65

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
A SIM card does not dictate signal strength. It literally serves to authenticate your device on the network.

I did find that the Nexus 5X just didn't have great reception and that possibly is down to the antennae used and their placement. It is perfectly feasible that Google/LG didn't go for the best antennae for this phone.

I would try another phone in the same area and see if that's any better (ask a friend perhaps?). If it isn't, get a replacement Nexus 5X. If that's no better than it's either the network in the area (unlikely as you say), or it's the fact that the Nexus 5X just isn't that great cellular wise (as I said).

Man of Honour
Has anyone noticed the November 'security' update has changed the way the phone charges?

I usually charge overnight and use a 2.4A 'Duracell' charger. Before the update it used to say 'charging' but recently this has changed to 'charging slowly'. Didn't bother me because it gets a full charge on that overnight anyway.

Today however I'm attempting to charge with an iPhone charger (1A) and the phone is pretty much refusing to charge. It sometimes shows 'charging' when connected (but sometimes doesn't) but doesn't raise the percentage. I've had to resort to plugging it into my laptop which shows 'charging slowly' as expected but it does actually seem to be charging.

I can't test with the original LG one as I don't have it with me but I have tried a couple of different cables (albeit 3rd party) with the same result. Interestingly, this morning I charged from 0 to 25% using an old car charger rated at 1.2A.

Struggling to work out what's going on here!

Soldato
Do you have a screen protector on?

I managed to get replacement screen covers that have the cut out for the proximity sensors. All good now. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

On another note, I only notice the charging issue when near full where as I'm sure others said it was at the other end of the battery charge.

Soldato
Has anyone noticed an issue with Gmail app? When replying to an email chain, The email just shows as queued. When you go into the account settings it shows as synced then synching every second. It took my battery from 80% down to 10% in a matter of a couple of hours idling. I've deleted all accounts on the phone and set them up again but it keeps happening.

Back
Top Bottom